Maxim Shalunov

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So according to this article https://theathletic.com/30190/2016/12/16/blackhawks-certainly-want-maxim-shalunov-back/ (it's behind a pay wall, but its subj is obvious), Chicago wants Shalunov back.

More interesting, Shalunov can finish this KHL season as soon as in February, if Sibir will miss playoffs, and then Chicago can get a C/RW with a size (6'4, 212), good hands and great shot, who is a PPG player in the KHL. Of course, if they bring him this season, he'll become RFA the next one and probably takes some salary rise.

Here is another article http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...alunov-khl-statistics-2011-nhl-draft-contract

Last edited:

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
So according to this article https://theathletic.com/30190/2016/12/16/blackhawks-certainly-want-maxim-shalunov-back/ (it's behind a pay wall, but its subj is obvious), Chicago wants Shalunov back.

More interesting, Shalunov can finish this KHL season as soon as in February, if Sibir will miss playoffs, and then Chicago can get a C/RW with a size (6'4, 212), good hands and great shot, who is a PPG player in the KHL. Of course, if they bring him this season, he'll become RFA the next one and probably takes some salary rise.

Here is another article http://www.secondcityhockey.com/201...alunov-khl-statistics-2011-nhl-draft-contract

No surprise that the Hawks are looking to bring him over considering the numbers he's putting up, the bigger question is where is Shalunov's head at? Hopefully he wants to come to the NHL and maybe Panarin's success has him feeling good about the Hawks organization.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

Was that short bit playing in the AHL and ECHL enough to count for a ELC year? Otherwise, and correct me if I'm mistaken, he should (given his age) have to sign a two year ELC with us. Either way, I'll gladly take him.

His NHLe is currently more than 65 pts for an 82 game season, and he can be considered a big guy even for Hockey. Definitely could be a guy that plays a few weeks of regular season hockey for us this season, and be able to contribute right away in the playoffs.

I'd advise any who are even somewhat interested in him, to search his name on Youtube. Lots of pretty goals that showcase a high hockey IQ and huge skills.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I don't think he's eligible for this years playoffs unless he signs here in the next two weeks.

Really? I thought that because he's our property, he'd be allowed.

I remember the Preds were banking on Vesey signing with them after his season ended and using him as an upgrade for the playoffs (they obviously failed at their attempts to sign him). The only difference between that and this is the league each player was playing in prior to the NHL.

So I cant imagine Shalunov being ineligible...

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Just got through reading the Powers article and here's a few important points...

-Shalunov is currently the youngest KHL player to be at a PPG pace so far this season. Didn't list if that was out of a certain amount of games played or not, but still highly impressive.
-Bowman seems to think he's ready (or at least damn close to) to playing in the NHL. Understandable when it comes to a guy who's 6ft4, who'll be 24 in January and is currently playing in the 2nd best league in the world.
-Bowman and Shalunov's agents have had "some general discussions" about returning.

Also, an excerpt from the secondcity article...
He’s also an absolute shot machine, which tends to be a strong indicator of future goal scoring. This season, Shalunov has taken 102 shots on goal in 29 games, an average of 3.51 shots per contest. For some idea of how amazing that is, Ilya Kovalchuk — the KHL’s shots on goal leader — averages 3.95 shots on goal.

Liking how this kid is progressing...

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Really? I thought that because he's our property, he'd be allowed.

I remember the Preds were banking on Vesey signing with them after his season ended and using him as an upgrade for the playoffs (they obviously failed at their attempts to sign him). The only difference between that and this is the league each player was playing in prior to the NHL.

So I cant imagine Shalunov being ineligible...

Vesey was an "amateur" whereas Shalunov is coming from a European pro league so - and this might be from a CBA or two ago - he needs to be signed before January or he'd need to pass through waivers/be ineligible for the playoffs.

Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm totally off.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Really hope Shalunov wants to play in the NHL, because that is the only possible stumbling block. Stanley is going to do whatever he can to convince him. Shalunov will be a VG/excellent addition. Needless to say, am very hopeful this move happens.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Vesey was an "amateur" whereas Shalunov is coming from a European pro league so - and this might be from a CBA or two ago - he needs to be signed before January or he'd need to pass through waivers/be ineligible for the playoffs.

Didn't Radulov come over during the 2012 playoffs from the KHL to play for the Preds? Seems you're saying the rules were changed after the 2013 lockout.

SAADfather

Dec 12, 2014
I'm pretty sure I saw a beat writer report that if his KHL team doesn't make the playoffs (looking like that will be the case) and he signs and comes over right away, that he will be eligible for playoffs.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
I believe he was already under contract when he left for the KHL but again I'm just going off of memory and I'm at work so I can't really check.

I saw people said, he was signed to an AHL contract, not ELC. That's why he played in ECHL.

Btw if he comes, makes the team and becomes an NHLer, he'll be another one, who played in ECHL once. Not a lot of guys make the NHL, being an ECHLers during their careers.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Fairly certain that as long as they are your property, they can come over and play any point. The only time a player can't play in the playoffs is if a team signed a player as a UFA after the cut off date. Not 100% on that, but fairly positive.

thedoughboy

Feb 22, 2015
Tinyest of the fifty
Hey all,

If I'm not mistaken, Shalunov falls under the "group two" designation for free agents which is:

(a) Group 2 Players and Free Agents.
(i) (A) Any Player who meets the qualifications set forth in the following
chart and:

(1) is not a Group 1 Player or a Group 4 Player, and (2) is not
an Unrestricted Free Agent, shall be deemed to be a "Group 2 Player" and
shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become a Restricted Free Agent. Any
such Player shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any
Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC
with any such Player, subject to the provisions set forth in this Section. As
used in this Section 10.2, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age" means
a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an
SPC regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC.
First SPC Signing Age Eligible for Group 2 Free Agency
18 - 21 3 years professional experience
22 - 23 2 years professional experience
24 or older 1 year professional experience
For the purposes of this Section

10.2(a), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a
year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games
in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20
between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his
first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or
more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year

Again, if he is then the following applies:

11.4 Signing Deadline for Group 2 Free Agent.

An SPC for a Group 2 Free Agent will be
rejected and will be null and void ab initio (i.e., the Player's Free Agency and contractual statusshall revert to the status he held prior to signing his SPC), if it is not signed and filed with Central Registry by 5:00 p.m. New York time on December 1 in the then current NHL Season.

That or I think the following applies

(iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was
age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which
was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the
Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season.

But my leaglise isn't great so ymmv

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I saw people said, he was signed to an AHL contract, not ELC. That's why he played in ECHL.

Btw if he comes, makes the team and becomes an NHLer, he'll be another one, who played in ECHL once. Not a lot of guys make the NHL, being an ECHLers during their careers.

Definitely pretty rare, and when it does happen it's more often goaltenders than skaters.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I was pretty excited about Shalunov after seeing him play for Russia in a JR tourny. You could see he had a good offensive game, but the knock was he wasn't as focused as he needed to be and consequently his game was too inconsistent. Ended up in the ECHL for a reason and it was that inconsistent play and not seeming to do what it took to improve.

But, now he's playing like a stud in the KHL so maybe the light finally came on for him.

It would be a nice move if Stanley can land him and especially if he's on an ELC for a year or two.

Is he playing center in the KHL?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I was pretty excited about Shalunov after seeing him play for Russia in a JR tourny. You could see he had a good offensive game, but the knock was he wasn't as focused as he needed to be and consequently his game was too inconsistent. Ended up in the ECHL for a reason and it was that inconsistent play and not seeming to do what it took to improve.

But, now he's playing like a stud in the KHL so maybe the light finally came on for him.

It would be a nice move if Stanley can land him and especially if he's on an ELC for a year or two.

Is he playing center in the KHL?

Have to think having Panarin and Anisimov here helps sell him coming over. Doesn't hurt, at the very least.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Have to think having Panarin and Anisimov here helps sell him coming over. Doesn't hurt, at the very least.

Really, close to an ideal setup for the Hawks and Shalunov. If he's going to make the jump, the time is (almost) now.

Trying hard not to get ahead of myself, but really looking forward to seeing what he can do. Could put us into full turbo (apologies to TT) mode.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Now Chicago needs to get Shalunov this season, not the next. It looks like Sibir is out of the playoffs, and from the contract POW, it's better to sign him this year, than next. Because in both cases he's RFA in 2018, but the team can use him in this year's cup run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad