Maxim Mayorov

billranford30

Jul 8, 2006
Has anybody seen a scouting report on Maxim Mayorov, or scene him play? I've heard he's a dark horse to crack the top-10 at the draft, but I really can't find anything about him other than single sentence, word-of-mouth comments.

Any info on him would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Riggs

Apr 6, 2004
Pittsburgh
Has anybody seen a scouting report on Maxim Mayorov, or scene him play? I've heard he's a dark horse to crack the top-10 at the draft, but I really can't find anything about him other than single sentence, word-of-mouth comments.

Any info on him would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

I see that ISS has him ranked 8th, so he might not be that dark of a horse.

Maybe "ISS" can shed some light on him.

Edit: No pun intended.

Super Berg

Oct 14, 2006
Ontario
I see that ISS has him ranked 8th, so he might not be that dark of a horse.

Maybe "ISS" can shed some light on him.

Edit: No pun intended.

I know that on the leafs board some people have been saying that he would be available at 13 and the leafs should pick him, but again despite his ridiculous jump to #8 rank, there are no scouting reports or anything on him that i have seen on the web.

Anyone got any info on him at all?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Offensive player, big, uses his size pretty well.

Should be a better player when he fills out.

Thats what I heard about him.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Big, powerful, energetic winger. Has tremendous speed- can take the puck end to end with force. Can bulldoze like a prototypical power forward or dipsy-doodle. Drives to the net well but lacks a finishing touch. Hard worker who hustles all over the ice- sometimes tries to do too much. I think top 10 is a possibility but around 12-15 is most likely.

BlackTuuk

Feb 23, 2007
Big, powerful, energetic winger. Has tremendous speed- can take the puck end to end with force. Can bulldoze like a prototypical power forward or dipsy-doodle. Drives to the net well but lacks a finishing touch. Hard worker who hustles all over the ice- sometimes tries to do too much. I think top 10 is a possibility but around 12-15 is most likely.

If the Caps miss out on the Chere sweepstakes, I think they should give this Russian the nod.

Super Berg

Oct 14, 2006
Ontario

He sounds like Tuomo Ruutu the next coming

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Can someone provide his stats please? Not just this year and one team, the past couple of years and tournaments.

turnbuckle*

I've seen that "hard worker who hustles all over the ice" quote a couple of times now...I must say it differs from what I've seen, and what I heard transpired at the 5 Nations most nights. I'm also waiting to see that tremendous speed; he certainly doesn't have it on startup; needs a lot of work on his quickness before he's ever considered to have "temendous speed" at the NHL level.

I've seen entire games where if Mayorov was "hustling all over the ice", Keven Veilleux is the second coming of Steve Begin.;)

Each year it seems a Russian prospect gets overhyped by a scouting service and each year they don't get picked anywhere close to where armchair scouts subsequently predict they'll be picked. Vlad Evseev, Anikyenko (sp), Anisimov...... Mayorov is this year's version IMO.

Not calling you an armchair scout Hiishawk BTW. ; but IMO Mayorov will not be picked in the top 12 or 13 - there's just no way Toronto or Montreal or any of the teams ahead of them will be picking him; I'd be willing to wager on that.

Not being at the WJC will only make the odds of him being a top 20 pick even less slim. You think a head scout is going to take the word of their Russian scouts to gamble on a player he hasn't seen much if any, especially with the problems teams have had with Russian prospects? Believe me; teams factor that stuff into their decisions. Teams aren't going to waste a top 20 on a "gamble" very often.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Can someone provide his stats please? Not just this year and one team, the past couple of years and tournaments.

Spartakiada(1989)-2004. Ural 5 2 + 0 0
Russian Championship.(U-15)-2004.Final Metallurg(Magnitogorsk) F 4 0 + 1 2
Russian Championship.(1989).Region Ural-2004/2005.Group A Metallurg(Magnitogorsk) 16 21 + 7 4
Turnering U-16-2004. Ural 1 + 0
Russian Championship.Highleague.Division West-2006/2007. Neftyanik(Leninogorsk) 28 6 + 4 6 -5
Russian Championship.Highleague.Division West-2006/2007. Neftyanik(Almetievsk) 5 1 + 1 0 -2
Four Nations Tournament(Team-18)-2006. Russia 5 3 + 1 0
5-Nations Tournament(Team-18)-2007. Russia 4 1 + 0 2 -1
Russian Championship.Highleague.-2007.Play-Off Neftyanik(Almetievsk) 4 0 + 0 2 1

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
So he may be lazy, or he may be very hard working

He may be a very fast skater, or he may be a slow skater

He may be 5'11 like eurohockey says, or he may be 6'2 like ISS says

Well good thing i have such a great read on the type of player he is!

I still want the leafs to draft him though if they keep the 13th pick because they need a first line offensive player, the other players around there are a bunch of defensemen and the offensive star Colton Gillies:sarcasm:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
So he may be lazy, or he may be very hard working

He may be a very fast skater, or he may be a slow skater

He may be 5'11 like eurohockey says, or he may be 6'2 like ISS says

Well good thing i have such a great read on the type of player he is!

I still want the leafs to draft him though if they keep the 13th pick because they need a first line offensive player, the other players around there are a bunch of defensemen and the offensive star Colton Gillies:sarcasm:
If there's no first line offensive player then you have to draft something else instead. I'm no scout, but I'd rather the Leafs took Sutter, Moller, Hamill, MacMillan, Tyrell, or O'Brien.

Maybe even Sweatt, although people are all over the place on him and I'm not sure who to believe.

I don't actually mind Gillies all that much, although there's guys I like better.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
If there's no first line offensive player then you have to draft something else instead. I'm no scout, but I'd rather the Leafs took Sutter, Moller, Hamill, MacMillan, Tyrell, or O'Brien.

Maybe even Sweatt, although people are all over the place on him and I'm not sure who to believe.

I don't actually mind Gillies all that much, although there's guys I like better.

I agree with taking the best player available but if its fairly even around the leafs pick I think they should go for Mayorov. One poster in another thread said he is like a Kovalev which wouldnt bother me at all. They also said he has high bust potential though so I dont know what to think about him...

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
I agree with taking the best player available but if its fairly even around the leafs pick I think they should go for Mayorov. One poster in another thread said he is like a Kovalev which wouldnt bother me at all. They also said he has high bust potential though so I dont know what to think about him...

As ypu pointed out, the reports on him are too contradictory to be useful. Sifting through the posts and looking for the most reliable, I would guess that he's probably not got talent anywhere near the Kovalev level, otherwise he would almost certainly be in the top 8 in this draft. My sense is that Hamill and Moller have at least as much potential to score at the NHL level.

But who knows?

And another thing, I'm not anxious to draft a Russian in the first round in the current climate, not unless he is a very very good prospect.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I've seen that "hard worker who hustles all over the ice" quote a couple of times now...I must say it differs from what I've seen, and what I heard transpired at the 5 Nations most nights. I'm also waiting to see that tremendous speed; he certainly doesn't have it on startup; needs a lot of work on his quickness before he's ever considered to have "temendous speed" at the NHL level.

I've seen entire games where if Mayorov was "hustling all over the ice", Keven Veilleux is the second coming of Steve Begin.;)

Each year it seems a Russian prospect gets overhyped by a scouting service and each year they don't get picked anywhere close to where armchair scouts subsequently predict they'll be picked. Vlad Evseev, Anikyenko (sp), Anisimov...... Mayorov is this year's version IMO.

Not calling you an armchair scout Hiishawk BTW. ; but IMO Mayorov will not be picked in the top 12 or 13 - there's just no way Toronto or Montreal or any of the teams ahead of them will be picking him; I'd be willing to wager on that.

Not being at the WJC will only make the odds of him being a top 20 pick even less slim. You think a head scout is going to take the word of their Russian scouts to gamble on a player he hasn't seen much if any, especially with the problems teams have had with Russian prospects? Believe me; teams factor that stuff into their decisions. Teams aren't going to waste a top 20 on a "gamble" very often.
Head scouts have seen him enough. I've seen him at 2 5-Nations tournaments (total = 8 games) and the usual crews of 4-5 scouts per NHL team were at both. Two members of a group of Czech scouts I talked to at Most (Czech) said he was the best skater at that tournament and he'd be in my top 5 (speedwise) for that tourney. The number of times he gained the zone with speed and was able to drive toward the net by beating defenders outside was impressive. Maybe he didn't play that way when you saw him and it's fine to let readers know that but I have some experience watching the player in two big European tournaments and can offer a different- and I think valid- perspective.

Concern was over Cherepanov's effort and intensity, and to a lesser degree, Korostin, but not Mayorov's. I still stand by my analysis and believe he'll go top 15. The deciding factor though COULD be the status of the transfer agreement, Mayorov's personal willingness to come over, and the flexibility/negotiability of his club side and I'm not privy to that information.

By the way, I have not come across a scout (other than Woodlief) who comes across as sarcastic and belittling, when in disagreement, as you do. You certainly don't hear it from the scouts here in Tampere- if you get my drift. But no more player analysis from me on HF. I don't mind disagreement, after 25 years I'm used to it, but I get the feeling my analysis on prospects are now just going to turn into pithing contests. Anyway, I've got work to do and these 150 km commutes to Rauma each day are tiring.

Last edited:

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
Head scouts have seen him enough. I've seen him at 2 5-Nations tournaments (total = 8 games) and the usual crews of 4-5 scouts per NHL team were at both. ...
Anyway, I've got work to do and these 150 km commutes to Rauma each day are tiring.
Nice perspective on Mayorov. I always enjoy your posts. My only concern about him is related to the transfer agreement. Otherwise I like the sound of him.

Incidentally, Hiishawk, do you think I am off the mark for liking Moller better? (keep in mind I've never seen Mayorov and only saw Moller on TV once).

Finally, I hope a new day and a new cup of coffee will lead to you feeling better about HFboards. I get tired of the sarcasm too (and various other bad habits), but it's just too valuable to discuss prospects with people who actually care about it. :)

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
For those that don't know. Hiishawk is/was steblick ?spelling? a valued member of these boards and made it a better place. It would be a shame to lose such a high quality poster.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
By the way, I have not come across a scout (other than Woodlief) who comes across as sarcastic and belittling, when in disagreement, as you do. You certainly don't hear it from the scouts here in Tampere- if you get my drift. But no more player analysis from me on HF. I don't mind disagreement, after 25 years I'm used to it, but I get the feeling my analysis on prospects are now just going to turn into pithing contests. Anyway, I've got work to do and these 150 km commutes to Rauma each day are tiring.

I must say I agree with you on this Hiishawk, except for the part where you call him a "scout." I think that's very charitable on your part considering he works for a magazine. Usually the people who work for magazines are called "writers."

Please, continue providing us with your insight. It would be a shame if one bad apple spoiled the barrel.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Turnbuckle provides interesting and insightful scouting reports. I respect his views. But I'll add a comment on this by way of answering Timlap's Moller vs. Mayorov question.

Personally Timlap, I'd take Mayorov by some margin. But you're not at all out of line for preferring Moller because I absolutely guarantee you that there are some NHL scouts who have Moller ahead of Mayorov, although I'd suspect that is a minority right now. And this is where you have to be careful. For almost every big-name prospect in any draft there will be an NHL scout (possibly many) who have some lesser names ahead of the big guns, even well ahead of them. My closest scouting associate (his team not mentioned here for obvious reasons but he is a highly-regarded veteran scout) has Zach Hamill rated behind Carter Bancks (Lethbridge) -just to throw out one of many possible examples, and I'd bet there are some more NHL scouts (although a minority, to be sure) who feel the same way. On the other hand, I know of a few who think Hamill is a legit top 10 overall pick, so there you go.

So, while a scout should always feel reasonably confident about his own projections and ratings, a scout or writer really should not laugh at or ridicule others in the biz or in the know- as I know many scouts whose bold, unorthodox projections have turned out accurate (just look at past draft suprises and misses- some scouts obviously projected those, which were considered oddball picks, by popular standards, at the time).

Personally, I'm always thinking that if scout X has such a different view of player Y than me, maybe he saw him in a special situation, different times places and opposition, or maybe- yeah- we just don't plain see eye-to-eye on it. Such disagreements are happening at every team meeting taking place in the Tampere Scandic Hotel this week but one should never ridicule the guy who makes the claim. It's just not kosher. You might raise an eyebrow and say "really?" and then you find out why he thinks so- and state your own case- then try to work out a team consensus or average grade on a player.

The result is, liking Moller more than Mayorov is perfectly legit- although if you haven't seen Mayorov, it may be awkward to make such a claim. Turnbuckle probably saw Mayorov in a different time/place than me where perhaps he didn't look as good with speed or he was more nonchalant with his work ethic. I can respect that- it adds to the total "book" on the player, but it doesn't mesh with my experiences watching Mayorov live and that's all I can go by.

Anyway, the main reason I can't go into any more player details here is because I am helping out a team even as I write this.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->