• Scheifele

Votes: 261 62.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Anyone who would take the playmaking ppg 24 year old center over a scoring ppg 20 year old center is either

a) jets fan
b) mcdavid fan

Reactions: 6ix and SHANNYPLAN

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Scheifele has more ice time because he PK's.

and he also gets an extra minute per game on the PP..we can't forget about that can we?

CBC had a stat were Matthews was 153rd in the league in pp time/game.
that is gonna go through the roof with bozak gone next year

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
and he also gets an extra minute per game on the PP..we can't forget about that can we?

Lol Bozak gets more PP time than Matthews? What's wrong with Babcock?

Gerard

Dec 24, 2017
New Jersey

Dont think it says much that Matthews loses PP time to Bozak. More proof Babcock is overrated.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Anyone who would take the playmaking ppg 24 year old center over a scoring ppg 20 year old center is either

a) jets fan
b) mcdavid fan

You can spin the narrative to justify getting your guy the W however you want but the poll was intended to ask who is better right now as in who would you take Jan-June 2018. No one in their right mind is arguing that Sheif has a better long term projection. And if you do want to make it about who you'd take if it was an open draft of the 24 year old playmaker vs the scoring ppg 20 year old as you put it then you also have to factor in that the 24 year old will be making 6m per year for the next 6 years vs the 12m the 20 year old is going to be getting and ask yourself if the 10 pts a season you can project Matthews to beat Sheif out by under the most bullish of scenarios is worth 6 million dollars per

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013

a) jets fan
b) mcdavid fan

Scheifele is as much of a goalscorer as Matthews. He's just doesn't shoot nearly as much. That can be a positive, as Scheifele has contributed more to team scoring over the past 2 seasons.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Yeah and Matthews is as much of a playmaker as Scheifele, he just doesn't pass as much

In Matthews defense he doesn’t have awesome options to pass to, so has to take matters in his own hand so. He’d probably prefer to set up plays more, but Hyman is Hyman and Nylander can’t score.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Scheif for (very) short term. Matthews for anything over 6 months.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm not sure if that logically follows. It's true that Scheifele creates more offense, though
neither of them logically follow. Matthews is easily the better goal scorer, and part of that is because he shoots more. The reverse is also true regarding playmaking

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
neither of them logically follow. Matthews is easily the better goal scorer, and part of that is because he shoots more. The reverse is also true regarding playmaking

Not really. I'm looking at shots recorded. When Scheifele takes a shot, he scores at a similar rate to Matthews. Scheifele has elite goal scoring ability

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Not really. I'm looking at shots recorded. When Scheifele takes a shot, he scores at a similar rate to Matthews. Scheifele has elite goal scoring ability

As a Jet fan I agree with this totally but Matthews has proven he can score more and is the better scorer.

That said Scheif has so far been the better point producer so has been the better player but as Matthews progresses I do expect that to change.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Scheifele is as much of a goalscorer as Matthews. He's just doesn't shoot nearly as much.

When Scheifele takes a shot, he scores at a better rate than Ovechkin. I guess it's only logical to say he's more of a goalscorer than Ovi.

Consider that you're saying Scheifele is as much of a goalscorer as a guy with a 0.51 goals per game for his career. Matthews still has the higher shooting percentage on a much higher volume of shots.

There are arguments for Scheifele but goal scoring is definitely not one of them.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Scheifele is as much of a goalscorer as Matthews. He's just doesn't shoot nearly as much. That can be a positive, as Scheifele has contributed more to team scoring over the past 2 seasons.
Haha, someone actually tried using this horribly flawed logic to prove a point. This is hiliarous. Thanks for this.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I don’t see any logical explanation for saying Schiefle is “clearly” better than Matthews. Matthews scores more, with inferior line mates and less PP time.

whitstifier

Mar 19, 2013
When Scheifele takes a shot, he scores at a better rate than Ovechkin. I guess it's only logical to say he's more of a goalscorer than Ovi.

Consider that you're saying Scheifele is as much of a goalscorer as a guy with a 0.51 goals per game for his career. Matthews still has the higher shooting percentage on a much higher volume of shots.

There are arguments for Scheifele but goal scoring is definitely not one of them.

In general, I see how it's useful to look at s% to predict regression. Given the quality Scheifele's shot, I'm curious how s% might regress with a much higher volume of shots. I'm not sure if there are metrics to address this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad