Matthews Vs Boeser (Goals)

Who will score more goals in their career?

• Matthews

Votes: 143 64.4%
  • Boeser

Votes: 79 35.6%

• Total voters

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ok last post on this thread, I promise. Honestly one Leaf poster thinks Boeser is 3 years older than Matthews and two others posting frequently on this thread liked the post.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you know nothing about the non Leaf player how valuable is your opinion?
In terms of the better overall player, it's clearly Matthews. In terms of who scores the most goals in their careers I can't see Boeser catching Matthews at this point barring injury.
In terms of who scores the most goals on a go forward basis it is essentially a coin flip. Boeser is an elite goal scorer. I think if people did their homework and looked at it objectively they'd probably come to the same conclusion.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I do not doubt boeser's shooting % will be at the high end of the spectrum. Same as Laine, they are both very lethal shooters.

And I'll admit I haven't seen as much of brock as I'd like but I've watched roughly 8 games of his. How many have you seen of Matthews? Edit: I mostly watch the canucks due to the sedins. They seem to dominate the leafs every time we play them.

I doubt brock scores over 40 this season or gets 70+ points and I very much doubt it's the "safe bet" he does. I'm not a hater. I just don't think he can sustain this kind of pace. What he has done so far is very impressive. But like others have shown, he has been scoring at an absurdly high rate.

Also the entirey of your last paragraph could be said about Matthews. He has unreal hand eye coordination and one of the best releases. He beats goalies cleanly with wristers and scores from the dirty areas.

Matthews is also a better skater and stick handler which should result in more scoring opportunities. Combine that with the leafs looking like the better team for the next while (more support, etc) this should definitely be Matthews. I don't mean to be rude but I was genuinely shocked someone even made a poll out of this.

I watched 15 games for the Leafs as I have center ice and they tend to be exciting team. I have a good idea of what Matthews is capable of.

You can doubt all you want we'll just see what happens then. If my previous arguments from yesterday won't convince you, no point in turning this into a circular argument.

He has been scoring at a high rate and he's been doing it without his regular linemates. He has Sam Gagner as his center. Let's let that sink in. He has made every line he's played on. (With horvat, sedins on the PP and Gagner at even strength)

Like I said on a season per season basis, it's not ridiculous if Boeser happens to score more goals than Matthews.

I wish I knew how to combine two messages into one on mobile but unfortunately I have no idea.

I don't think you know what grasping at straws means. Saying boeser's shooting% will go down is not a fixation nor is it grasping at anything. There is no guarantee he will get more ice time to off set the drop in scoring %.

Yes boeser is on a fairly bad team. But they aren't the coyotes or sabres. Matthews played with hyman (rookie), nylander (rookie) and brown (rookie) as his most common linemates last season when he recorded 40. That is no big advantage.

Yes there is a difference in the two. But like I said, make a poll on "who will score more going forward" and I doubt it will be a "coin toss".

Also for every over the top biased leaf fan, there's a VG or TWS so don't act like it's only us.

I don't use mobile, but there's a multi quote option I tend to use as it makes it easy to respond to who I decide to do so.

I do know what it means, you may not. You're grasping at straws because all of you shown so far is use the shooting percentage argument and unsustainability. You haven't changed your stance despite an argument that can be used against you, kinda like how Boeser will get increased ice time and get better linemates back within due time. Why wouldn't there be any guarantee? He's the team's best offensive forward after all so he'll likely get more ice time.

The Canucks are a bottom 3-5 team in the league, while the Leafs are in the uprising. Without Boeser we become much much worse. Infact we will have trouble scoring goals.
Nylander and Brown may have been rookies but they are very very talented, and they are far far above Gagner. Nylander himself is ahead of Vanek. So yes Matthews has an advantage.

The poll will be a lot closer than this poll, and I may make it someday. I made a recent poll on the Canucks board, to settle an argument, and I'll make one in the future, while Boeser gets more games under his belt.

VG is an oilers fan right? I don't see how he would be biased for the Canucks of all teams.
As for TheWinterSoldier, we'll we have to disagree, as I tend to enjoy his arguments in general, and he's a neutral user he happens to love young players..

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I watched 15 games for the Leafs as I have center ice and they tend to be exciting team. I have a good idea of what Matthews is capable of.

You can doubt all you want we'll just see what happens then. If my previous arguments from yesterday won't convince you, no point in turning this into a circular argument.

He has been scoring at a high rate and he's been doing it without his regular linemates. He has Sam Gagner as his center. Let's let that sink in. He has made every line he's played on. (With horvat, sedins on the PP and Gagner at even strength)

Like I said on a season per season basis, it's not ridiculous if Boeser happens to score more goals than Matthews.

I don't use mobile, but there's a multi quote option I tend to use as it makes it easy to respond to who I decide to do so.

I do know what it means, you may not. You're grasping at straws because all of you shown so far is use the shooting percentage argument and unsustainability. You haven't changed your stance despite an argument that can be used against you, kinda like how Boeser will get increased ice time and get better linemates back within due time. Why wouldn't there be any guarantee? He's the team's best offensive forward after all so he'll likely get more ice time.

The Canucks are a bottom 3-5 team in the league, while the Leafs are in the uprising. Without Boeser we become much much worse. Infact we will have trouble scoring goals.
Nylander and Brown may have been rookies but they are very very talented, and they are far far above Gagner. Nylander himself is ahead of Vanek. So yes Matthews has an advantage.

The poll will be a lot closer than this poll, and I may make it someday. I made a recent poll on the Canucks board, to settle an argument, and I'll make one in the future, while Boeser gets more games under his belt.

VG is an oilers fan right? I don't see how he would be biased for the Canucks of all teams.
As for TheWinterSoldier, we'll we have to disagree, as I tend to enjoy his arguments in general, and he's a neutral user he happens to love young players..

Not the Leafs ones. That’s for damn sure.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Ok last post on this thread, I promise. Honestly one Leaf poster thinks Boeser is 3 years older than Matthews and two others posting frequently on this thread liked the post.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you know nothing about the non Leaf player how valuable is your opinion?
In terms of the better overall player, it's clearly Matthews. In terms of who scores the most goals in their careers I can't see Boeser catching Matthews at this point barring injury.
In terms of who scores the most goals on a go forward basis it is essentially a coin flip. Boeser is an elite goal scorer. I think if people did their homework and looked at it objectively they'd probably come to the same conclusion.

Right, because there are no Canuck fans that are posting without knowing Matthews :laugh:

It's amazing how hypocritical some people are.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
3 of their top 4 point getters are way past their prime. They have a crap defense and goaltenders. They don't have any legit blue chip prospects.

Canucks fans are all over Boeser because they have nothing else to look forward to. Simple as that. Boeser is the only thing they can look forward to so they hype the crap outta' him.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
3 of their top 4 point getters are way past their prime. They have a crap defense and goaltenders. They don't have any legit blue chip prospects.

Canucks fans are all over Boeser because they have nothing else to look forward to. Simple as that. Boeser is the only thing they can look forward to so they hype the crap outta' him.

Funny thing is our so called crap defense is actually better than the leafs D core.
As for goaltending, it's inconsistent but I wouldn't call it crap.

We don't have any other legit blue chip prospects? Not suprised another misinformed leaf fan number 29898 posts such garbage.

Petersson and Demko say hi. Juolevi has improved.

Leafs fans hype the crap out of Matthews as well.

Reactions: vanwest

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
Funny thing is our so called crap defense is actually better than the leafs D core.
As for goaltending, it's inconsistent but I wouldn't call it crap.

We don't have any other legit blue chip prospects? Not suprised another misinformed leaf fan number 29898 posts such garbage.

Petersson and Demko say hi. Juolevi has improved.

Leafs fans hype the crap out of Matthews as well.

Those aren't blue chip prospects at all. Keep dreaming.

Leafs: 23-14-2
Canucks: 16-18-5

LOL

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

The irony of a Leafs fan arguing another fanbase would overhype a player out of their hopelessness

Reactions: vanwest

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

LOL
Elias Pettersson is significantly better than any Toronto prospect, and it's really not even close.

Also has been significantly better than Nylander playing in the same league in their draft + 1 season.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
datsnipematthews. Prove they aren't blue chip prospects.
If you can't then don't post.
The only one dreaming here is you especially based by your logic Kapanen (who is inferior to Elias and Demkos) is king of fodders.

A fan of a team that s been a laughing stock for a very long time shouldn't be poking at others.

besser

Dec 27, 2017
Vancouver

LOL
OMG DONT GET ME STARTED LEAFS FANS

Seriously Pettersson not a blue chip prospect? And I thought [mod] was ridiculous for saying Matthews > McDavid

Last edited by a moderator:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Very good improvement.
Could one day hit Boeser numbers if he keeps it up: .5833 goals per game.
Makes you wonder what Boeser will hit in his prime.

Well, Boser is less than a year away from entering his already....

And not to rehash the last few pages, but we’ll see where Boeser ends up by seasons end before seeing if Matthews ever has to reach it.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Well, Boser is less than a year away from entering his already....

And not to rehash the last few pages, but we’ll see where Boeser ends up by seasons end before seeing if Matthews ever has to reach it.
Nice try. Boeser is 6 months older than Matthews. Bit of a swing and a miss on that one.
And we'll see where Matthews ends up at seasons end as well before deciding if he can keep up those 'improved' numbers in an even smaller sample size than Boeser this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Winter Soldier

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Boeser MAY be able to one day score as well as Matthews through out a whole season, but there is so much more to Matthews game as a top center that THIS discuss just becomes silly. I mean who cares. I'm more concerned about what Matthews can do in the playoffs to help us win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad