Matthews v. Laine who finishes this season with more goals

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
But they didn't. Laine started playing hockey at age 4 in a hockey crazy country. Matthews started playing hockey at 6 in the complete hockey wasteland of Arizona.
Considering where Matthews grew up I think that means a lot more than Laine when he started playing Hockey where it was easier to do.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm more happy with Matthews scoring 40 goals as a rookie, being only the third 1st overall pick since 1997 taking his team to the playoffs 1 year after being drafted and winning the Calder in a historical landside vote. You know things that mean more, however be happy over some meaningless stat for Laine which only helps himself and not the Jets team success.

For the record, Laine is a still a teenager that is leading his team in goals, a team that is 4th Overall in the NHL standings currently. Maybe the Jets finish higher and with more points than the Leafs did last season, maybe they even last more than 6 games in the first rd. We shall see if Laine can do one or 2 better than Matthews did as a teenager.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For the record, Laine is a still a teenager that is leading his team in goals, a team that is 4th Overall in the NHL standings currently. Maybe the Jets finish higher and with more points than the Leafs did last season, maybe they even last more than 6 games in the first rd. We shall see if Laine can do one or 2 better than Matthews did as a teenager.
Even if those things happen Matthews still has the team success from his rookie season, the records he set and the Calder Trophy. You talk about Laine like he is the second coming of Mario Lemieux, however until things change Matthews is the better player and nothing you say will change my mind about that.

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
I am shocked 29 doesn't have 35g by now. Really thought this was the year he potted 65-70g. He's only 19 though let's not forget he's still a teenager. Add that to his "rawness" and now his 2016 "Kurri" season as well as his new "stiff" man body and id be disappinted if Laine doesn't pot 50+goals.

Last edited:

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Maybe the Jets finish higher and with more points than the Leafs did last season, maybe they even last more than 6 games in the first rd. We shall see if Laine can do one or 2 better than Matthews did as a teenager.

What are the chances he gets six playoff games in while he's a teenager?

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What are the chances he gets six playoff games in while he's a teenager?

The playoffs begin April 11th, so it would seem impossible. Tragically Laine will be in his 20s by his sixth playoff game, clearly too old to be worthy of praise by that point.

He is no Pierre-Luc Dubois, who could win the Stanley Cup while still retaining that special teenage status. Maybe he should've been included in this poll.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The one thing that really stands out to me about Matthews is that he’s the only teenage rookie to ever finish top 3 in goals in a season.

That is historic.

If Matthews scores more goals than Laine this year despite playing less games than him that would be incredible, and he’s got a shot.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Matthews on a 44 goal pace, Laine 36.

One plays centre and against top defence pairings, the other is sheltered.

Love Laine, top 5 young player in the league, but I think Matthews will consistently be better including in goals.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Love Laine, top 5 young player in the league, but I think Matthews will consistently be better including in goals.
I would even add Matthews is on a 44 goal pace after missing 11 games. So if he gets that number or at least 40 goals minimum for a 2nd straight season, that will really be impressive.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I thought Leaf fans concluded that "on pace" doesn't matter since Laine was on pace for more goals/points last season?

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The one thing that really stands out to me about Matthews is that he’s the only teenage rookie to ever finish top 3 in goals in a season.

That is historic.

If Matthews scores more goals than Laine this year despite playing less games than him that would be incredible, and he’s got a shot.
The fact Matthews did that playing Centre in his rookie season against the other teams best defensive lines, makes it even better.

Reactions: authentic

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I thought Leaf fans concluded that "on pace" doesn't matter since Laine was on pace for more goals/points last season?
I remember some Laine fans saying in his 2nd year he would score 50 goals. That's not a projection, it's a prediction which they expect to see happen. So there is nothing wrong with looking at Matthews current number of goals and how many he might end up with.

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
We have not had one of these threads in a while. So lets get at it.

With Matthews missing time for his injury Laine has been able to close the gap and they currently sit tied at 22 each.

Who do you think pulls ahead at the end of the season?

With Matthews back from his injury and ready to burn down villages and Laine moving up to the first line due to Marks injury and receiving more ice time (compared to earlier in the season) it could be an interesting race.

I would like to see Lainec close out at 40+ but I have a feeling Matthews will pull ahead again by the end of the season.
I will get back to you by the end of April. Is that fine?

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Laine was on pace for a whooping 3 more points last year, while this year Matthews is on pace for 74 points per 82, while Laine is on pace for 63 per 82. Then taking position, and everything else into account, it's not really a comparable situation.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
We told you that it would not matter for Calder voting yes. Last I checked they weren't in a Calder race this year.
Help us if either one is ever in contention for the Art Ross or Rocket Richard awards. Although unlike the Calder those are decided by most goals and total points. Still the debate on here if that happens could be worse than all the Calder threads.

Last edited:

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Matthews has the same amount of goals in 9 less games while playing injured for quite a few of them with worse linemates and less powerplay time. Funny how so many thought he would be the better goal scorer or even the better player this season.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
How are their more neutral fan votes for Laine when Matthews has the same amount of goals despite playing in 9 less games? And Matthews clearly looked off during the first 5ish games back. HF boggles my mind.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I thought Laine fans considered "on pace" to be equally as valid as total points/goals judging from everything they were saying last season? I mean I know he lost the Calder vote by a gargantuan margin but hey, atleast it was a moral victory, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad