Matthews Match-Up Strategy in Games 3/4

How would you deploy Matthews vs. the Bruins in Toronto?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think the narrative isn't so much "Matthews can't stop the Bergeron line" and moreso "Bergeron is stopping the Matthews line"

Not sure all the credit comes down to that line for Boston, but its definitely true that the Toronto top line has been extremely quiet

I agree. Babcock should be more worried about stopping the Bergeron line, and not so much of not matching up Matthews against him. Cassidy didn't mind when Babcock avoided this match up due to the fact Bergy's line would be feasting on another line on the Leafs.

If I were Babcock I would be more worried about stopping the Bergy line rather than trying to get Matthews easier match ups. In the playoffs it is usually best vs best. Babcock is not showing much confidence in Matthews if he is trying to get him away from Bergy.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Leafs will win or lose based on their best players - if their best can't beat Boston's best at least 50% of the time, they're going to lose no matter the line matching strategy. Boston doesn't win every year, it is entirely possible to counter Bergeron. Matthews may not be capable of it yet, which is obviously a problem, but not a coaching issue necessarily.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
i'd try to keep any center in the world away from Bergeron, and Matthews is no exception

Why? Isn't this what playoff hockey is about? You have your best against their best, and the one that wins the match up wins the series. If Matthews is the player Leafs fans are saying he is. Then Bergeron is exactly the player you play him against. Since Bergeron against Bozak, Plekanec, or Marleau is just eating them up this series.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Where is the Tomas Plekanec option?

I heard he is centering Marner and Marleau at practice. Could be the match up against Bergy's line. Since Babcock seems intent of moving his best away from the B's best. Where Cassidy seems more confident of Bergy burning any Leafs line.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
I heard he is centering Marner and Marleau at practice. Could be the match up against Bergy's line. Since Babcock seems intent of moving his best away from the B's best. Where Cassidy seems more confident of Bergy burning any Leafs line.

Yeah Cassidy has said before that he doesn't put much emphasis into line matching, more just focused on who is playing best and making sure the whole team is competing the right way.

When the team is winning all the board battles and competing hard, he just let's them loose. When they are not, he shortens the bench.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Babcock got >50% of Matthews 5v5 time away from Bergeron last game. That's pretty impressive on the road. I would guess Babcock would vote to get him away from Bergeron as much as he possibly can.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Yeah Cassidy has said before that he doesn't put much emphasis into line matching, more just focused on who is playing best and making sure the whole team is competing the right way.

When the team is winning all the board battles and competing hard, he just let's them loose. When they are not, he shortens the bench.

I also read Riley Nash is very probable to be back in tonight. This will give the B's 3 very balanced ES lines. I don't blame Cassidy for not worrying too much about the match up game. Bergy's line or Krejci's line will likely have a mismatch if Matthews is going to play against Nash I am assuming this is what Babcock will look for. If Nash is back to 100%. It's fine with me if I am Cassidy given the other 2 lines will be free to play away from Matthews.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Matthews vs. Bergeron in the series so far.

12:29 ice time.

Shot attempts 18-12 Boston.

Shots on goal 10-9 Boston.

Scoring chances 13-6 Boston.

I don't really know what you can do, even though Matthews' line has been outmatched so far by the Bruins top line, they still probably give them the best chance at neutralizing them, it would've been Kadri but now at home they don't have that luxury, Bozak and Van Riemsdyk's line isn't good defensively. It sound like Babcock might be planning to match Plekanec's line against them in game 3, I know Plekanec has faced some tough defensive assignments over his career but him as the answer to shut down the Bergeron line? Good luck lol

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Matthews vs. Bergeron in the series so far.

12:29 ice time.

Shot attempts 18-12 Boston.

Shots on goal 10-9 Boston.

Scoring chances 13-6 Boston.

I don't really know what you can do, even though Matthews' line has been outmatched so far by the Bruins top line, they still probably give them the best chance at neutralizing them, it would've been Kadri but now at home they don't have that luxury, Bozak and Van Riemsdyk's line isn't good defensively. It sound like Babcock might be planning to match Plekanec's line against them in game 3, I know Plekanec has faced some tough defensive assignments over his career but him as the answer to shut down the Bergeron line? Good luck lol
The splits are pretty drastic over the first 2 games:

Matthews

(Against Bergeron vs Against Others)

% of 5-on-5 ice time: 47% vs. 53%
Corsi: 12-19 vs. 16-7
Fenwick: 12-16 vs. 14-3
Shots: 9-10 vs. 9-2
Scoring chances: 6-13 vs. 9-2
High danger chances: 1-7 vs. 5-1
Goals: 0-3 vs. 1-0

Bergeron

(Against Matthews vs. Against Others)

% of 5-on-5 ice time: 63% vs. 37%
Corsi: 19-12 vs. 14-2
Fenwick: 16-12 vs. 11-2
Shots: 10-9 vs. 10-1
Scoring chances: 13-6 vs. 7-0
High danger chances: 7-1 vs. 3-0
Goals: 3-0 vs. 3-0

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Sorry in that I haven't really been paying attention, but how did they handle the Rick Nash vs. Riley Nash names on the uniforms?
They don't, both are just "Nash". With the same first two letters in the first name, there's nothing that wouldn't look awkward.

Reactions: NyQuil

Do or Die

Jun 28, 2011
Why does Matthews need a match up strategy? Shouldn't it be the other way, round?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Depends- How did Ottawa get around the Bergeron factor last year?
Primarily played Pageau against him. Bergeron dominated the possession battle but the line wasn't capitalizing on their chances, and the Pageau line did a much better job relative to the Leafs at limiting high danger opportunities.

In the end though, it mostly came down to secondary scoring. The Bergeron line had 5 goals, the rest of the team had 8.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I suppose if they don't go head to head,then the idea is for Matthews line to score more than Bergerons line. Thing is, Leafs don't have the personnel right now to play that game.
I really would rather see Mattews go head to head,he has gotta learn sometime! Win or lose this is what he should want !
Is the plan for Matthews to avoid all the top centers from here on in ? Gonna avoid Stamkos, Crosby,Malkin and the best out of the west too? How do you justify the huge forecast payday if he only scores against average players and average Dmen ? Let's see what he has got !

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I’d say move Marleau up to Matthews line. Match them against the Bergeron line and tell him his biggest priority is now limiting the Bergeron line as best as possible. Pray that Marner and Nylander come through against Boston’s other lines. It really doesn’t matter how much Matthews scores if Bergeron’s line continues this dominance. Gotta put Matthews on him and hope he can keep it close.

HockeyAnalystGenius

Jun 15, 2017
It has been mostly Puck Luck so far. Natthews will whipe the floor with Begeran in open ice. Give the kid some space and watch out. Or you will wish you did

Loseipeg

Oct 6, 2017
And now bergeron gets absolutely worked by matthews. Is it time for him to start whining about rib and lung injuries again?

Loseipeg

Oct 6, 2017
Bergeron matchup strategy in game 4? Absolutely got his shit fed to him by plekanec all night. Line invisible. Embarrassing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->