Matthews Match-Up Strategy in Games 3/4

How would you deploy Matthews vs. the Bruins in Toronto?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
If Matthews line is getting killed why is he only -2? Nylander is even? What's really happening here?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
built for the regular season eh? lol. like Detroit was for so many years.

I'm really not worried about it. this isn't the leafs year. next year is when we can really start expecting them to contend. as a team they're in the best spot of any Canadian team to win a cup in the near future.

it's nice having one of the best young teams in the league, playing an exciting brand of hockey. carrying the flag for Canada.

Jets are closer.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Not sure if it’s been said but if I’m Babcock I play the Matthews line against Bergeron’s 100% of the time in these next two home games. They aren’t winning the series, it would be a great for his development

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Not sure if it’s been said but if I’m Babcock I play the Matthews line against Bergeron’s 100% of the time in these next two home games. They aren’t winning the series, it would be a great for his development
Also gotta be careful about crushing a kids confidence. Usually you want to put someone young in a position to succeed not fail. He's failed the first two games. It would make sense to give him a confidence boost and not put him against Bergeron

Loseipeg

Oct 6, 2017
It was definitely affected by the score. When a team holds a 3 or 4 goal lead for most of the game, it's going to change things drastically.

Also, vs. Bergeron he was 7-6 for Corsi but 0-5 for high danger chances.
This was a thinly veiled fake topic so you could again brag about bergeron and marchands stick checks per 60. So glad they got owned in 2013 final.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
-2 is not good :huh:
Well apparently the marchand line has 20 pts combined against his line. That's the narrative we have been given. If his line is getting destroyed how is he ONLY -2? How is his linemate even? Fake news is rearing its ugly head.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
IMO getting him away from Bergeron for most of the game and letting him dominate is best plan. I'd go with this:

Matchup line: Hyman-Marleau-Brown - Looked like a 1st line when Matthews was injured, going to take the loss facing Bergeron but they're all hardworking players that can play the grind game.

Vs. Krejci: JVR-Matthews-Marner - Would be dominant. Think it would have beautiful chemistry, tell JVR to keep up the physicality he's had and it should get a 1-2+ goal differential for sure.

3rd lines: Johnsson-Nylander-Kapanen - these wingers have been some of our best so far, while Nylander plays much better at C. The 2 way play of the wingers and Nylander's creativity makes it a pretty easy bet to do great.

4th line: Leivo-Bozak-Martin - Bozak has been awesome vs. 4th line competition, should be able to make plays with Leivo, and Martin can forecheck and keep it simple. Try to get Martin to take off Chara or any D for 5 minutes if you can.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well apparently the marchand line has 20 pts combined against his line. That's the narrative we have been given. If his line is getting destroyed how is he ONLY -2? How is his linemate even? Fake news is rearing its ugly head.

The Matthews line was fine at even strength last game (not that you’d hear that from then arratives going on here).

The Bruins special teams are absolutely destroying the Leafs though so far and that’s where a lot of points are being put up.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016

When you factor in he is suppose to be putting up points as well and currently has zero, then -2 is significant. Hes suppose to be a dual threat and is doing neither. If you would like to change the word from "getting killed" to "getting shutdown" or whatever, than go ahead. The bottom line is hes not playing well and that has a lot to do with who hes going up against

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
His job is to put up points. He's not a shutdown guy despite what Leaf fans will tell you about his Selke like defense, he never will be a shut down guy as long as he's the top point getter on the team. Put him in a position to score, keep him the hell away from the BPM line, give that matchup to some guys who can skate fast and aren't defensive liabilities.

And Toronto isn't going to be shutting down anything so long as they keep making it easy for the BPM line to rush and attack their net. The best way to shut down skilled offensive players is by putting the body to them and making them fear going to those dirty areas. A soft team like Toronto is going to be completely walked over by a star powered line like the BPM line.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Matthews vs Bergeron is super over simplified. A lot of the bergeron lines goals have been on the pp or because of toronto's defense making poor decisions. One guy can only do so much, I'm not a leafs fan but this narrative comes across as an excuse to shit on Matthews. He hasn't been great in the series but he is a great player and I'm sure he'll get going, if Matthews had Marchand and Pastrnak for wingers it would obviously be very different.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Matthews vs Bergeron is super over simplified. A lot of the bergeron lines goals have been on the pp or because of toronto's defense making poor decisions. One guy can only do so much, I'm not a leafs fan but this narrative comes across as an excuse to **** on Matthews. He hasn't been great in the series but he is a great player and I'm sure he'll get going, if Matthews had Marchand and Pastrnak for wingers it would obviously be very different.
You can't expect to get a bunch of credit when things go right and you are producing and then when things are bad and your not producing to take no heat

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
If Matthews line is getting killed why is he only -2? Nylander is even? What's really happening here?

I think the narrative isn't so much "Matthews can't stop the Bergeron line" and moreso "Bergeron is stopping the Matthews line"

Not sure all the credit comes down to that line for Boston, but its definitely true that the Toronto top line has been extremely quiet

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
One guy can only do so much

The problem is he's doing nothing when hes's the primary offensive weapon on the team. It doesn't matter that he's had a lot of chances or he's only a -2, what matters is he has 0 points so far this playoffs. If they want to stand any chance at winning a game, let alone this series, let alone the cup, he needs to start producing.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Get him as far away from Bergeron as they can

Boston has been able to do that quite well.

It’s a tough poll but I’m not sure how much more comfortable I’d feel with Brown flanking Matthews to help defensively.

I want to go with Matthews away from Bergy - offensive option but the Maple Leafs have nobody else to matchup against Boston’s top line. Marner and JvR will have to get over the physicality of the game and produce... Perhaps Boston finds itself in the box more often.

Went with vs. Bergy’s line - neutral. Neither Bozak nor Plekanec would cut it.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
No Kadri means 30 goals gone from the lineup and one of your top 2 defensive centers. Makes it pretty damn hard against the Bruins.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Boston has been able to do that quite well.

It’s a tough poll but I’m not sure how much more comfortable I’d feel with Brown flanking Matthews to help defensively.

I want to go with Matthews away from Bergy - offensive option but the Maple Leafs have nobody else to matchup against Boston’s top line. Marner and JvR will have to get over the physicality of the game and produce... Perhaps Boston finds itself in the box more often.

Went with vs. Bergy’s line - neutral. Neither Bozak nor Plekanec would cut it.

This is the biggest hole left by Kadri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad