Value of: Matthew Tkachuk to Montreal

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Calgary's not rebuilding so your picks and prospects mean nothing. CGY needs a top RW, so start there.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Don't say "Habs don't have the pieces"

If the Habs said tomorrow they intend to draft Brady and they want to bring over his brother and start a new era in Montreal, what is the asking price from Calgary?

35th overall
38th overall
Max Pacioretty
Paul Byron
Nikita Scherbak
Charles Hudon
2019 1st

That's how I'll start the offer, let me know what you think Calgary would want.

p.s.

If you're going to respond with "it starts with the 3rd overall" that isn't a talking point.

If Montreal offered four 2nds, Drouin and the 2019 1st, Calgary would absolutely unequivocally accept the deal; so there are obviously points to begin and talk around.

Ideally Montreal wouldn't want to move Drouin, Gallagher, Domi, Mete, Juulsen or Danault --- rest of the team would probably be fair game.

The bold is your answer.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
I'm not sure why the OP would take #3 off the table. Whether he's a C or not, Tkachuk would definitely be worth giving up #3 for in this draft IMO. Not that Calgary would have any need to accept it, but still.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The last brother combo didn't work out so well for Montreal!

That being said, what it would take to get both would just not be worth it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No interest in trading Matt Tkachuk, outside of an absurd over-payment... and Montreal doesn't have the assets to make up an absurd over-payment.

The only thing that even remotely interests me is the 3OA; but Tkachuk is a special player who is continuously improving.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
To be fair, he didn’t say that.

That said, it looks like his perception about Tkachuk’s value is way off.

He actually did, it’s at the bottom. Apparently Juulsen is off the table for Tkachuk. Is OP also going to start a thread asking for McDavid and stating Gallagher is off the table?

This thread is just ‘don’t you dare ask for more than the junk I’m willing to give up’

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Trade the seven assets above for McDavid and then you will have something to offer the Flames for Tkachuk.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Habs dont have the pieces

To be honest, not sure how many teams in the league would actually have the right pieces for Calgary to move a guy who's progressing towards being an elite winger. Keep in mind, this kid was on pace for 60 points this season, while his line had a league worst PDO for a line that played +900 minutes (lows for his linemates), he's dynamic, offensively gifted, gets the toughest matchups every single night and just for fun, also draws more penalties than anyone else in the league and is an absolute rat (gets under everyone's skin; just look how Drew Doughty plays against the rest of the league, then against Calgary).

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
To be honest, not sure how many teams in the league would actually have the right pieces for Calgary to move a guy who's progressing towards being an elite winger. Keep in mind, this kid was on pace for 60 points this season, while his line had a league worst PDO for a line that played +900 minutes (lows for his linemates), he's dynamic, offensively gifted, gets the toughest matchups every single night and just for fun, also draws more penalties than anyone else in the league and is an absolute rat (gets under everyone's skin; just look how Drew Doughty plays against the rest of the league, then against Calgary).

Before anyone else says it, probably every team has the pieces, but those pieces are the ones they do not want to give up

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Don't say "Habs don't have the pieces"

If the Habs said tomorrow they intend to draft Brady and they want to bring over his brother and start a new era in Montreal, what is the asking price from Calgary?

35th overall
38th overall
Max Pacioretty
Paul Byron
Nikita Scherbak
Charles Hudon
2019 1st

That's how I'll start the offer, let me know what you think Calgary would want.

p.s.

If you're going to respond with "it starts with the 3rd overall" that isn't a talking point.

If Montreal offered four 2nds, Drouin and the 2019 1st, Calgary would absolutely unequivocally accept the deal; so there are obviously points to begin and talk around.

Ideally Montreal wouldn't want to move Drouin, Gallagher, Domi, Mete, Juulsen or Danault --- rest of the team would probably be fair game.

I'm an Oileers fan and would love to see the Flames trade Tkachuk for a bunch of change. None of those pieces make them better next season or the next.
MT is a cost controlled asset that I don't think they'd even trade for 3rd OA+

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Before anyone else says it, probably every team has the pieces, but those pieces are the ones they do not want to give up

Yeah, sorry, my point.
I.E, Toronto offers Matthews... well duh, yeah.

But there's no two teams I think that'll be able to meet in the middle. Calgary will ask for the moon (as they should); and other teams won't be willing to give up that moon.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Yeah, sorry, my point.
I.E, Toronto offers Matthews... well duh, yeah.

But there's no two teams I think that'll be able to meet in the middle. Calgary will ask for the moon (as they should); and other teams won't be willing to give up that moon.

Yeah that was my point, I just sometimes get too focused on semantics :laugh:

BurnEmUp

Feb 27, 2009
The Flames have no reason to trade Matthew Tkachuk. You'd have to give them one by making them a better team somehow through the trade. That means you make them a better team NOW, not just load up the proposal with a bunch of futures that may or may not pan out.

Something like:

Matt Tkachuk
Mike Smith

for

Jonathan Drouin
Carey Price (40% retained)

That might get Treliving to think about it. Of course that depends on what he thinks of our stable of young goalies. If he's confident one of them is going to be an above average NHL starter, then he still probably doesn't pull the trigger.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
think about what you would want for a bigger, better, and 5.5 year younger Gallagher with higher potential. Then add, because CGY has 0 reason to move him.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
You are still limited by some level of reality when asking about trade proposals. Why its fine to place a stipulation such as "lets ignore that CGY might not want to move him" to stimulate conversation, MTLs lack of quality trade pieces is a real issue that cannot be overlooked. If you want to force a trade by limiting people say they don't have the pieces then you will need to expect the deal wont make sense for MTL when you force deals that may not be there.

All your edits are doing is showing you are out of touch with the reality of the situation.

Reactions: Migos and Signature

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The Flames have no reason to trade Matthew Tkachuk. You'd have to give them one by making them a better team somehow through the trade. That means you make them a better team NOW, not just load up the proposal with a bunch of futures that may or may not pan out.

Something like:

Matt Tkachuk
Mike Smith

for

Jonathan Drouin
Carey Price (40% retained)

That might get Treliving to think about it. Of course that depends on what he thinks of our stable of young goalies. If he's confident one of them is going to be an above average NHL starter, then he still probably doesn't pull the trigger.

Not even for that. I hate Price’s contract. Even with it retained, who knows if he is going to sustain his good goaltending.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Ya add me too the trade Gaudreau before Tkachuk party.

You could get more for Gaudreau and I think Tkachuk will win us just as many games in the future. He's already dialed the shenanigans back and if he gets some more lower body strength he's going to be scary good.

And stylistically, Tkachuk and Monahan seem like a better pairing than Gaudreau and Monahan. Hoping we see some experimenting this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->