Player Discussion Matthew Tkachuk - The Most Quiet 100 Pt Season Ever?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
With all the focus in the league being the ascension of Auston Matthews, the two guys in Edmonton and the incredible season Johnny Gaudreau has put together... lost in the shuffle is Matthew Tkachuk, in his first year playing as the top RW in Calgary, trending towards 100 points.

We all know the player he's been in Calgary. Tough to play against, a mega-rat, super skilled, and generally a 0.8-0.9 PPG player... But this year, the chemistry between he, Gaudreau and Lindholm is something else. He might be the best or at least, most skilled, net-front presence in the league and his creativity is an underrated feature.

Sutter has openly said he makes a better RW than he does LW this year; and his game is certainly indicating that.

Question, can anyone recall a player being top 10 in league scoring, likely going over 100 points, all with this little amount of fan fare around it? Can Tkachuk maintain close to this level of production, say, if Gaudreau walks in FA?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I think in most years it would be more noteworthy, but there's just so many headline stories this year. Josi in with the list you mention as well.

Very deserving if he hits it. A welcome problem to have for our cap situation with him and Johnny.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
Josi I feel is the most quiet. But Chucky has been dynamite this year. I’m so glad Sutter finally decided to put him on Johnny’s opposite wing and move Lindy back to center. It’s done wonders

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
I think a lot of people underestimated his skill and his hockey IQ. Those kind of got lost in some of the circus sideshow things he got involved in before when he was trying to be more of a pest. I feel he's toned down that part of his game and is concentrating on showing his skill more this year.

And because of the sideshows, people don't really want to talk about him.

But can someone who knows hockey better than me explain what difference it is between playing each wing? I kind of thought that the systems tend to resolve more into an F1/2/3 system where they are fluid depending on where you are at any given moment. Why would he be better at RW than LW?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He's been good after two really sub-par seasons. Best case scenario, we sign him to a 4 year deal and part ways afterwards

CF Magic

Jan 30, 2022
Calgary
Definitely a quiet 100pt pace season, probably even more so because of his own linemate Gaudreau's spotlight this year and being UFA, etc. I do think that he would be closer to an 80pt player though without Gaudreau but that's no knock on him at all, he's a skilled player with unique physical play and underrated playmaking ability. I'd like to see him work on his shot more though, I always thought his junior highlights reminded me of Lindholm's current shot but he doesn't often rip it past goalies.

But can someone who knows hockey better than me explain what difference it is between playing each wing? I kind of thought that the systems tend to resolve more into an F1/2/3 system where they are fluid depending on where you are at any given moment. Why would he be better at RW than LW?
Not an expert, but generally it matters less on the forecheck (F1/2/3 like you said) and in the offensive zone where players cycle and rotate constantly. In the defensive zone and up the ice though, playing RW means he can open himself up to the middle of the ice to make a play, make a nice pass or even cut to the middle and shoot, etc. For example, he loves to hit Johnny with stretch passes from our right half-wall a lot which is easier for him when he can see the ice better from that right side. With his playmaking ability and entering the zone it especially helps on RW, whereas playing the LW and entering the zone your only option for a high danger chance is to cut to the slot on your backhand. Johnny likes to drive straight and throw it shortside shelf lol but he'll often button hook after entry to make a better play and find open players.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
There was certainly a lot more noise last year when fans claimed that his teammates had grown tired of his on-ice antics, he's checked out, and demanded we should trade him cause we'd never find success with him....

Maybe that's why it's been so quiet.
Ding, ding, ding, tag me in!

I was beating this drum all last season. I thought we would have been stupid to deal him, even for Eichel I was never in favour it and didn't think he was ever on the table for him. Tkachuk is literally one of the rarest players in the league and not someone you trade, especially at this age. Glad the Flames didn't Bennett him.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Putting together a great season definitely. A bigger part of that line's success than people realize. It's kind of crazy all three players kind of fill in the cracks of the others' games. Johnny brings the speed, skill, and the puck carrying, Lindy brings the defensive conscience and slot finishing, Matty has got the down low board work puck protection net front game sorted. Really a line that doesn't have any glaring weaknesses.

It's great having Johnny be the best player on the ice most games, but whenever he's a little off Tkachuk or Lindholm can take up the mantle. For instance just last night in SJ I didn't think Gaudreau had a particularly strong game, but Tkachuk raised his level and came through for us. Tons of fun to watch these two in particular and I hope Tre does everything in his power to keep them for as long as possible.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Full disclosure, I was one of those who was in the camp of "it'd suck but if he's gotta go for Eichel, then I guess you do it", particularly at the start of this season. lol @ me.

I fully agree with the premise of this thread.

It's like everyone keeps talking about Gaudreau (5v5 point production) and Lindholm (Selke maybe) but forgets about Tkachuk.

I think he's a lot more integral to the success of his linemates than anyone either realizes, or cares to admit.

I also fully believe that he had the right to be pissed off at his teammates after that Toronto incident. Not sure where I'd fit in the steel chair scenario.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Full disclosure, I was one of those who was in the camp of "it'd suck but if he's gotta go for Eichel, then I guess you do it", particularly at the start of this season. lol @ me.

I fully agree with the premise of this thread.

It's like everyone keeps talking about Gaudreau (5v5 point production) and Lindholm (Selke maybe) but forgets about Tkachuk.

I think he's a lot more integral to the success of his linemates than anyone either realizes, or cares to admit.

I also fully believe that he had the right to be pissed off at his teammates after that Toronto incident. Not sure where I'd fit in the steel chair scenario.
I was right there with you regarding trading him for Eichel. I thought it would be worth it and I'm still not sure it wouldn't have been a good move. Are we really thinking that Eichel wouldn't also be a 100-pt player playing with Gaudreau and Lindholm?

I am still not sure that Tkachuk is underrated per se. I don't think he can drive a line by himself due to lack of footspeed.

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
I think a lot of people underestimated his skill and his hockey IQ. Those kind of got lost in some of the circus sideshow things he got involved in before when he was trying to be more of a pest. I feel he's toned down that part of his game and is concentrating on showing his skill more this year.

And because of the sideshows, people don't really want to talk about him.

I don't think anyone ever questioned his skill and hockey IQ, they have always been regarded as his strengths. The problems have been his sideshows like you've stated and his below average skating. His IQ has been able to negate some of his skating flaws at times though.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Same thing here. I still might do it, just because he's RFA and we have no idea what his contract demands are

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
I got Tkachuk and Gaudreau a few picks apart in my Fantasy. Been a loud season for me. I've always felt he was the second smartest player behind Gaudreau (although I haven't watched enough games to know where Lindholm actually slots in), so it's great to see them gelling.

JG has definitely overshadowed him, but the media only has room to focus on so many players. Our first line has just been insane this year.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Tkachuk is the most underrated line driver who has ever worn a flames jersey. Year after year after year.

This, along with his relatively young age, are reasons I see him as the most valuable on our team. He's younger and so much better than Lindholm it isn't even funny, is much younger than Gaudreau and none of the dmen are real top pairing quality.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Happy to see him succeed. Never wanted to see him traded, hes a heart and soul guy on this team. You need players like him to win.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Tkachuk is the most underrated line driver who has ever worn a flames jersey. Year after year after year.

This, along with his relatively young age, are reasons I see him as the most valuable on our team. He's younger and so much better than Lindholm it isn't even funny, is much younger than Gaudreau and none of the dmen are real top pairing quality.
Better then Lindholm is pretty subjective. Lindholm is the better defensive player, plays center which our biggest weakness, and unlike Tkachuk Lindholm barely takes penalties.
That's not to say Tkachuk isn't a great player but I still think he is the 3rd most important skater on the team

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Saying Tkachuk is better than Lindholm is like saying Marchand is better than Bergeron.

Just, no. Lindholm is one of the top centers in the game right now. I don’t know if people really appreciate what he does out there. Tkachuk has been great this year but Lindholm is more valuable to the team’s success.

Reactions: TheHudlinator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad