• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hangman005

Mark Stones Spleen
Apr 19, 2015
Cloud 9
I can’t really comment on who’s better as I have not seen a lot of Marner play, I do think Tkachuck would be a good fit for Vegas

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Only because the thread was made in February when Marner was just coming out of a cold streak. Hope everyone has smartened up now.
Um.. Tkachuk is literally better at every aspect of the game. Marner finished 10 points ahead of what Tkachuk was on pace to score. Tkachuk also had more goals in 14 less games (but goals only mean more when we talking about Auston Matthews, right?) Tkachuk is miles better defensively. Miles better physically. And more or less even offensively. Pretty sure its time for Leaf fans to take off the goggles and smarten up. This aint close. Aint no GM trading Chucky for liil Mitchy poo.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Um.. Tkachuk is literally better at every aspect of the game. Marner finished 10 points ahead of what Tkachuk was on pace to score. Tkachuk also had more goals in 14 less games (but goals only mean more when we talking about Auston Matthews, right?) Tkachuk is miles better defensively. Miles better physically. And more or less even offensively. Pretty sure its time for Leaf fans to take off the goggles and smarten up. This aint close. Aint no GM trading Chucky for liil Mitchy poo.

But not playmaking, or setting teammates up for goals.
If goals matter, do not assists?

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Marner is more skilled to be sure, but Tkachuk can change the flow of a game so often, and he is pretty skilled himself. I dunno tough choice. I think if I am building a team I go Marner, but I do think Tkachuk is the rarer breed of player.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Marner plays on the shutdown line with Kadri. Tkachuk is not "miles better" defensively. He may be better, I'll trust you when you say your guy is great. But Marner is also very good defensively.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
They do. Unless Leaf fans are talking about Matthews. Then goals>assists. Thanks for helping me point out the double standard.
It’s always unfortunate when an individual can’t grasp that a handful of opinions don’t represent millions. It seems pretty obvious to me. Why is it such a challenge for you?

I’m not sure whether it’s worse that you can’t understand, or that you felt this sort of post was a good use of your time at 4:00 am?

It’s unbelievable how ridiculous some people can be. There’s almost no shame on this board.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Marner plays on the shutdown line with Kadri. Tkachuk is not "miles better" defensively. He may be better, I'll trust you when you say your guy is great. But Marner is also very good defensively.

This is...simply not true. Marner is a wreck defensively.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
This is...simply not true. Marner is a wreck defensively.
Please elaborate.

Most reliable individuals agree he’s good but not great. High IQ and high motor, but tendency to over commit at times or make a bad read. Not uncommon for a kid his age.. He’ll never be a Selke candidate but he’s satisfactory at the very least.

Not sure whether you’ve received bad information, or the hilights you watch haven’t given an accurate depiction... but your assertion that he’s a wreck defensively is just not true.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Please elaborate.

Most reliable individuals agree he’s good but not great. High IQ and high motor, but tendency to over commit at times or make a bad read. Not uncommon for a kid his age.. He’ll never be a Selke candidate but he’s satisfactory at the very least.

Not sure whether you’ve received bad information, or the hilights you watch haven’t given an accurate depiction... but your assertion that he’s a wreck defensively is just not true.
He's a sens fan anything good about the leaf is not true according to him.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
Marner is quicker and flashier. Tkachuk is the second smartest player on the Flames behind Gaudreau.

Speaks volumes that we are even having this kind of debate with two players who are so stylistically different.

The 3M line was fantastic, but honestly, Frolik limited their offense. He scored 2 more points than his 42 point record in 16-17. Kadri's lowest total is 39 (in 73 games), Marleau's is 46/47 the last two years respectively. Even Backlund's best season was 53 points and Tkachuk would have surpassed that if he played all 82.

If Tkachuk and Backlund were playing with someone who could capitalize on the chances they generate, this thread might be entirely different. I think their point totals will be similar. Tkachuk is at 0.72 PPG for the last season. Marner is at 0.84. If this levels out next season we'll have our answer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I love provocateurs like Tkachuk in general, but gimme Marner here. That kid is special & an absolute treat to watch create. It's hard for me to pass on a 55+ pt PWF who does such a good job getting under teams' skin, but I see PPG talent in Marner, so in this case it's not that hard.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
Marner is more skilled to be sure, but Tkachuk can change the flow of a game so often, and he is pretty skilled himself. I dunno tough choice. I think if I am building a team I go Marner, but I do think Tkachuk is the rarer breed of player.

That's an interesting thing to say as Marner does the exact same thing. I think its Marner in a landslide. Tkachuk brings that agitator element to his team but Marner has a special vision and knack for finding players that not many can say they have.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
giphy.gif

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Its a lot closer than a lot of leafs fans are saying, but I'll go with Marner.

Players like Tkachuk are just a rare breed.
Also saying Marner is a lock for 100 is idiotic. I like Marner and I highly doubt he gets there. There is no such thing as a lock for a 100 points. The closest thing would be McDavid, and him and Marner are not even in the same universe.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Since when are they more or less the same offensively?

NHL Totals

Marner
Reg = 0.82 ppg
Playoff = 1.00 ppg
ESTOI/GP = 14:18
PPTOI/GP = 2:23

Tkachuk = 0.67 ppg
Playoff = 0.00 ppg
ESTOI/GP = 13:24
PPTOI/GP = 2:28

OHL Draft Year

Marner
Reg = 2.00 ppg
Playoff = 2.29 ppg
Leading Scorer by 17 points

Tkachuk
Reg = 1.88 ppg
Playoff = 2.22 ppg
3rd Leading Scorer

Marner has been significantly better than Tkachuk at every comparable stage.

Reactions: Menzinger and Kelly
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad