Matt Smythe

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Smythe from the Brampton battalion, what kind of player is he? Do you think he will be drafted in the 07' draft

Matt Smyth is an unbelievably fast, explosive and skilled hockey player who came into Brampton last year with almost no hockey sense. He was the prototypical "pond hockey" player. You could tell that he obviouvsly developed in an area (Orlando, FL) where he could dominate with offensive tools, with no thought to positioning, systems, defensive play, etc. He basically chased the puck around the rink for the first couple of months in Brampton.

He improved in these areas dramatically over the course of the season. He didn't score a ton of goals as a 16-year-old, but he's one of those guys who has the skills to easily go from under 10 goals last season to over 35 goals next season, especially given that he didn't get PP time as a rookie. If he "figures it out", as they say in scouting parlance, he is easily a first round caliber player in terms of skills - skating, puckhandling and shot.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
I've watched Matt for two years now pretty closely and he is one of, if not the most explosive player in the OHL. However he will need ALOT more coaching for him to understand the game and how to use his god given gifts.

In Minor Midget he had a knack of scoring big goals on big stages. I really like how he flys around the ice and his quick release. He needs to learn positioning and systems like Juan said. Could be a dark horse in this draft.

I think he will put up 25 goals this season and be a 7th rounder come next June.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
I've watched Matt for two years now pretty closely and he is one of, if not the most explosive player in the OHL. However he will need ALOT more coaching for him to understand the game and how to use his god given gifts.

In Minor Midget he had a knack of scoring big goals on big stages. I really like how he flys around the ice and his quick release. He needs to learn positioning and systems like Juan said. Could be a dark horse in this draft.

I think he will put up 25 goals this season and be a 7th rounder come next June.

If Smyth scores 25 goals, which I think he will do fairly easily, that will mean he has started to figure it out, and no way he drops to the 7th round. Like I said previously, he undoubtedly has the physical tools to warrant first round consideration. Think Phil Kessel (no exaggeration), but dumber.

Remember as well that he is being coached by Stan Butler. While some fans might criticise Butler's inability to get the Battalion out of the second round of the playoffs, it is a fact that he has had more players drafted into the NHL than any coach in the OHL since Brampton's been in the league.

inferno98

Mar 22, 2006
If Smyth scores 25 goals, which I think he will do fairly easily, that will mean he has started to figure it out, and no way he drops to the 7th round. Like I said previously, he undoubtedly has the physical tools to warrant first round consideration. Think Phil Kessel (no exaggeration), but dumber.

Remember as well that he is being coached by Stan Butler. While some fans might criticise Butler's inability to get the Battalion out of the second round of the playoffs, it is a fact that he has had more players drafted into the NHL than any coach in the OHL since Brampton's been in the league.

Thanks for the information, the reason I ask because I was at a roller hockey tournament in which he was participating and he pretty much tore it up, and I was not sure what kind of player he was in ICE.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I will be pleasantly surprised to see Smyth become a 25 goal scorer this coming season. Yes he has the raw ability to do it, but he doesn't have the "sense".

As or right now, a 5th to 7th rounder is where I would peg him.

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
I will be pleasantly surprised to see Smyth become a 25 goal scorer this coming season. Yes he has the raw ability to do it, but he doesn't have the "sense".

As or right now, a 5th to 7th rounder is where I would peg him.

He will either be the first line right winger on a line with Martin and Lynes, or the second line right winger with Hodgson and Snow. He will also play first unit power play.

Either way, I will be shocked if he doesn't get 25 goals, sense or no sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad