Signing(s): Matt Ryan signs huge extension (5 years, $150 million)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I think Jimmy G potential/talent is greater than Ryan. My issue is this. Ryan wasn't leaving the Falcons and has a great relationship with ownership. He's a top 10 QB for sure. But with so much invested in that City you would think he'd take a lesser contract.

QBs would never do that seeing as they have all the power. Now you do get guys like Brady who take massive payouts after accomplishing everything but those are rare cases. Big Ben, Eli & Rivers didn't even approach the idea of a "hometown" discount.

He has the ability to play like a top 5 QB, which he did in his MVP season. Is he consistently a top 5 QB? Probably not.

He was a top 5 QB once in his career. Likely won't ever reach that level again.

I think Matt Ryan would garner a good return in a trade.
So trading Ryan is another option.

A) While teams are hungry for QBs, you're not getting a huge return for a QB who will be a free agent in less than a year

B) Like GKJ said,m who becomes QB then? They have nobody waiting in the wings

C) Try to explain to your paying fans that you traded your franchise, MVP, SB-finalist QB because you didn't want to pay him

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I'm aware that the demand for starting QBs are greater than the supply. But as one respected former front office executive noted Matt Ryan is on the decline.
So is Atlanta winning a SB with him?
I believe they had their chance and blew it. I think Ryan took this team as far as he could. I feel the same about Rivers.
So yeah trade Ryan. Trade Rivers also. Stop spinning your wheels. Move on.
Get younger. Rebuild at QB. TANK and hopefully Draft the next Carson Wentz.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I'm aware that the demand for starting QBs are greater than the supply. But as one respected former front office executive noted Matt Ryan is on the decline.
I believe they had their chance and blew it. I think Ryan took this team as far as he could. I feel the same about Rivers.
He's 1 year removed from his best season. Saying he's on the decline is rather premature

Reactions: Babe Ruth

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He's 1 year removed from his best season. Saying he's on the decline is rather premature
That's fine but we all see this pattern of mediocrity. Either the QB isn't elite like Brady and Rogers and a few others or the team isn't. One thing I respect about Bellicheck that he always looks at the future and if something isn't right he'll try and improve it. It was BB who wanted to keep Jimmy G not ownership. Which would mean trading Brady. That's not a crazy idea when you consider the Montana and Young situation.
Point being it's not all that outrageous to trade a Pro Bowl QB when the league is driven by that position if that guy starts to decline or is unable to take the next step. With the Patriots they had the future on the bench. For the Falcons I like Ryan but I just feel sometimes you gotta roll the dice.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Because it's so easy to find a young QB and wasting Julio Jones' prime is a great idea

Reactions: Voight

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Ryan's a good 1, I wouldn't trade him just yet. He's 33 this month so getting a QB of the future to develop might not be such a bad idea.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Ryan's a good 1, I wouldn't trade him just yet. He's 33 this month so getting a QB of the future to develop might not be such a bad idea.

Ryan is never getting traded now that he signed that contract.

Ryan is of course on the decline, his MVP season was a bit of an. anomaly (which earned him a lot more $$$$), but its a little hard to just trade your franchise QB, especially if you lack an adequate replacement. Atlanta could win. SB with him if the rest of the team performs, look at Peyton Manning when the Broncos won. he was basically a corpse at that point but their elite D propelled them to glory.

"Hopefully draft the next (insert star young QBs name here)" .... if only it was that easy. KC tried that a few years ago and they ended up with a tackle. Browns have been trying that for 20 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad