Signing(s): Matt Ryan signs huge extension (5 years, $150 million)

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It had to be done. Rodgers probably settles for slightly more than this but he should hold out unless they give him $35M/yr.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Every new QB contract crazier than the last one, and Wilson on the last year of his current contract.
It's a good thing the cap has been going steadily up to compensate for this.

member 157595

The demand for good QB's far exceeds the supply, and with the incredible importance that position has on the game of football, these guys are going to get paid until the end of time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Details:

First, Ryan has a whopping $94.5 million fully guaranteed at signing. The remaining $5.5 million in guarantees for injury only at signing are, as a practical matter, fully guaranteed. Indeed, the only way to avoid the $5.5 million would be to cut Ryan after one year — and to owe him $94.5 million without the opportunity to offset any of the cash to be paid later.

Second, there is no fluff in the deal. No per-game roster bonuses, no workout bonuses, no incentives. It’s “all clean cash,” as the source explained it.

Third, if Ryan had opted to go year to year, he would have made $19.25 million this year, $25.98 million under the franchise tag in 2019, and $31.176 million in 2020. That’s a three-year haul of $76.406 million. Under the new contract, Ryan will make $94.5 million.

Under any analysis, Matt Ryan’s contract sets a new bar

Ryan’s contract sets new records for fully guaranteed salary ($94.5 million), total guarantees ($100 million), APY ($30 million), 3 year cash ($98.25 million) and 1st year cash ($54.75 million). Unlike the other recent record setting contracts the Ryan deal sets new cash barometers in every year of the contract. It doesn’t take him until a 4th or 5th year to set himself apart from the field the way it did for a Jimmy Garoppolo.

Thoughts on Matt Ryan's New Contract | Over the Cap

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
The demand for good QB's far exceeds the supply, and with the incredible importance that position has on the game of football, these guys are going to get paid until the end of time.

Yup, this. The QB contracts will keep getting more ridiculous, especially for the guys in the top 10 of the league.

Reactions: Voight

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I don't get this contract at all.
Why commit that much cash to Matt Ryan?
He's a top 10 if not top 5 QB that the Falcons have no one close to being able to replace with anytime soon, that's why. QB play is more important than it has ever been, so QBs are paid accordingly.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I don't get this contract at all.
Why commit that much cash to Matt Ryan?

They have no choice. Its a QB driven league and when you have won who is good & has helped your team become successful, you have to pay him what he wants. Why do you think Jimmy G got $27.5 million. year after playing in 7 games?

Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins are not worth the money they got but when teams are dependent on QBs (save for examples like the SB 50 Broncos, or SB Champ Ravens/Bucs) you will be paying them large amounts of money.

Their alternative was to let him leave as a free agent and replace him with a sub par option.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
They have no choice. Its a QB driven league and when you have won who is good & has helped your team become successful, you have to pay him what he wants. Why do you think Jimmy G got $27.5 million. year after playing in 7 games?

Matt Ryan and Kirk Cousins are not worth the money they got but when teams are dependent on QBs (save for examples like the SB 50 Broncos, or SB Champ Ravens/Bucs) you will be paying them large amounts of money.

Their alternative was to let him leave as a free agent and replace him with a sub par option.
I think Jimmy G potential/talent is greater than Ryan. My issue is this. Ryan wasn't leaving the Falcons and has a great relationship with ownership. He's a top 10 QB for sure. But with so much invested in that City you would think he'd take a lesser contract.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
He has the ability to play like a top 5 QB, which he did in his MVP season. Is he consistently a top 5 QB? Probably not.

Definitely not. Cam also did the same, and I wouldn't entertain any thoughts of him being a top 5 guy for doing it one out of eight times. I mean, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and Rivers are still good enough to be called the top guys, then you saw what others could do like Wentz, Watson, and Garoppolo could do in limited sample sizes. Luck is up there when he's healthy, but who knows what kind of shape his shoulder is in. Wilson is also probably worthy of being in the same conversation. I think guys like Ryan, Cam, Cousins, Stafford, Roethlisberger, and maybe Carr and/or Goff fit into that next tier.

I think Jimmy G potential/talent is greater than Ryan. My issue is this. Ryan wasn't leaving the Falcons and has a great relationship with ownership. He's a top 10 QB for sure. But with so much invested in that City you would think he'd take a lesser contract.

Fans always want to see that happen, but very rarely is that actually the case. This is still their job, and they want to maximize their earnings while they can.

Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad