Flyers' History: Matt Read: neither lost nor forgotten

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Its truly been a season from The Twilight Zone.

Someone photosop Hakstols head on Rod Serlings body in black and white.

Vjg5tyS.jpg

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You're not taking playing Read seriously, are you?
10g 0-0 0 -1
Nor are his advanced stats much better.

You're not seriously judging Read by his point totals in 10 games and 95 minutes of ES TOI, are you? :rolleyes:

If you watched the games instead of staring at a framed picture of Dave Hakstol, you'd immediately see the difference between having Read and Lehtera on the 4th line and PK.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You're not seriously judging Read by his point totals in 10 games and 95 minutes of ES TOI, are you? :rolleyes:

If you watched the games instead of staring at a framed picture of Dave Hakstol, you'd immediately see the difference between having Read and Lehtera on the 4th line and PK.

It's been night and day.

One can get to loose pucks and make a smart play with them.

One can't get to loose pucks at all.

Lehtera did some nice work killing clock at ES recently but that's about the bare minimum you can ask an NHL player to do.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
I don't know.
Matt Read still looks like the same player that got sent down to Lehigh and the PK is bad with or without him.

He's a replacement level 4th liner with a few small perks at this stage. His presence won't account for much in the way of points in the standings, but that's fine if you don't have superior options at the ready.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Wasn't everyone ragging on Lehtera for not scoring? :huh:

Read is quicker than Lehtera but less physical, simply trading off one attribute for another, not a big deal.
We need to become both quicker and more physical (i.e. get to pucks faster in the D-zone and win board battles).

The idea that Read over Lehtera is some big upgrade is silly season talk.
And Hagg over Manning?
If Simmonds can play like this the rest of the way, that will have a bigger impact than trading out one scrub for another.

It comes down the goalies, period.
When they're bad, the team is bad.
When they're competent the team is good.
Imagine if this team actually had a hot goalie, you know, the kind that puts up a .928% down the stretch?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't know.
Matt Read still looks like the same player that got sent down to Lehigh and the PK is bad with or without him.

He's been far better than Lehtera or Weise at both ES and PK so far since his call-up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Read 10 games, 10:27, 0 points, CF 49.4%, CFrel -2.3, E +/- -1.7 xGF 41.24 xGFrel -11.87.
Pk GA/60 4.5 but CFrel -11.8

Bring back VdV :sarcasm:

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Read is not the player he used to be. just doesnt have the wheels. But the guy is a better PKer than Lehtera and if you have watched this team kill penalties this year you are looking for anyone who can do a decent job. He doesn’t have to be great. If this team had just a middle of the road PK we would not be worrying about scratching and clawing to get into the playoffs.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Read 10 games, 10:27, 0 points, CF 49.4%, CFrel -2.3, E +/- -1.7 xGF 41.24 xGFrel -11.87.
Pk GA/60 4.5 but CFrel -11.8

Bring back VdV :sarcasm:

Ignoring the sample size and the visual product, the biggest difference is that Read can be benched and actually did spend time in the minors.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
No one with an ounce of credibility would be trotting out those stats from such a tiny sample.

To give an idea of how terrible Lehtera was on the PK:

Lehtera - 8GA in 33:51

Giroux - 6 GA in 57:45
Simmonds - 8 GA in 62:55
Raffl - 9 GA in 80:37
Laughton - 11 GA in 81:30

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I think Read is actually better than replacement-level 4th liner. Replacement level is like what Lehtera actually is -- someone you can readily get for free (or actually get assets to take, if you're willing to take the contract).

His numbers are fine -- they're slightly below average. That's what 4th liners are supposed to be -- not as good as the rest of your team. His advanced metrics even in a limited sample size are still better than Weise/Lehtera and a hell of a lot better than VdV. Also, his GA on PK is 4.5/60 mins, best on the team. The Flyers would be in first place if all their 4th liner this year were at 49% Corsi instead of in the 44% range.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
VdV averaged 5.0 GA/60 on the PK over his Flyer career.
5x5 Corsi 46.6%, CorsiRel -4.9, last three years averaged E +/- -5.3.

Read is slightly better than that this year.
But "a scrub is a scrub is a scrub."

Next year we need to move on from scrubs.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
deadhead doesn't seem to understand the principal that onegoal could determine your playoff position through either winning a game or losing it. He also has this odd notion that somehow you can make up a whole team of all star players.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

Good for him he didn't have to wait for a PTO. Still 2-way, but I hope he sticks in the NHL as a 12/13. I also didn't know he went to Bemidji State.

I think that is a good contract for the Wild. I think he'll be a surprise player. He's still a decent fourth liner.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At this point I'd rather go with Knight. If Read makes a team at a #12, they're as thin as the Flyers the last five years.
Watching Read on the Phantoms, there's no "there" there anymore, and we saw the same on the Flyers.
He was 11th in ppg on the Phantoms, pretty sad for an experienced NHL veteran.
He can still PK, Read, Couts, Filppula and Lehtera did a solid job in the playoffs - but that's all Read can do these days.

Getting rid of Read, Filppula, and benching Lehtera and Weise is an improvement, almost irregardless of who we replace them with this season.
Weal, NAK, Knight, Bardeau, MV, and cross your fingers, Frost and Vorobyev, should all be upgrades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->