Matt Pelech???

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
After many guys considered this guy already a bust...is he turning the corner? He has ALWAYS been a physical, aggressive shutdown defenseman BUT this year his offensive game has come out of no where. So far he has 10 points in 10 games as a defenseman.

Maybe he is finally developing, which was quite slow due to the numerous injuries that put him back the last couple seasons...

Thoughts??? ANyone seen him play this year?

Phanuthier*

He's been slowed by injuries and is actually a year younger then most of his draft year (made it into the draft by 1 day, ala Malkin in his draft year). For the amount of junior time he's played, he's actully progressing quite well.

Hopefully, he pans out into a successful NHLer but I wouldn't be bragging about it now.

Transported Upstater

He's been slowed by injuries and is actually a year younger then most of his draft year (made it into the draft by 1 day, ala Malkin in his draft year). For the amount of junior time he's played, he's actully progressing quite well.

Hopefully, he pans out into a successful NHLer but I wouldn't be bragging about it now.

I thought it was Ovechkin who missed the 2003 draft cutoff by one day? :dunno:

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Pelech made it by 11 days, and Malkin by a month and a half.

hockeyprincess

Sep 5, 2006
Kingston, ON
What do you need to know about Matt Pelech?
Let me tell you everything that I know.

Full Name: Matthew Pelech
Birthday: September 4, 1987
Hometown: Toronto, ON
Position: defenceman
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 225 pounds
Current Team: Belleville Bulls (OHL)
Former Teams: Sarnia Sting (OHL), London Knights (OHL)
Transactions: traded to LDN from SAR for Matt McCready, Steve Ferry and a 2007draft pick (2005/06 OHL trade deadline); traded to BLV from LDN for two 2007 draft picks (2005/06 offseason).
NHL Draft Year: 2005
Draft: first round, 26th overall
Draft Team: Calgary Flames
Trivia: His younger brother Michael plays for the Toronto St. Michael's Majors, to whom he was traded in September 2006 in exchange for Matt Halischuk.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
The interesting thing here is that he does not play on the PP so most of his points are 5 on 5.

Most D with points get them on the PP.

Pelech this year is finally getting a chance to be the backbone of a teams defense and he is making the best of it.

Still takes a lot of penalties but a lot of them are due to size difference in my opinion.

Luke87

Sep 10, 2006
Oshawa
Ive seen Pelech play a few times this year allready and his game really does look alot better, he's a beast in his own end. His offensive game may be being helped a little by how good the forwards have been so far this year but the defensive pairing of him and PK Subban seem to play really well together, Subban will be in this years draft.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
:biglaugh: is this true??? i didnt see any:sarcasm: so i asume it is. what the hell happened when they tried to do that.

Basically the NHL screwed us over, we picked Oveckin and they ruined it for us.

I can't remember the reason we gave (It was a very just reason :D), but if the NHL had allowed us to pick him, i think Teams may be coming up with an excuse to draft Tavares this year.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Basically the NHL screwed us over, we picked Oveckin and they ruined it for us.

I can't remember the reason we gave (It was a very just reason :D), but if the NHL had allowed us to pick him, i think Teams may be coming up with an excuse to draft Tavares this year.
Yeah, it was a really lame basis. They basically said that since Ovechkin was 17, that four leap years had passed, giving them four extra days to play with. Since Ovechkin was only ineligible by two days, they thought they'd give it a shot.

OHLDAD

Oct 16, 2006
Concerning the deadline birthdate for drafting players into the NHL. There has to be a date and you have to stick to it. (Tavares not withstanding). Otherwise NHL teams will be drafting 10 year olds hoping to get a future star. One day or 1 month doesn't matter, there is a deadline and it must be upheld.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Just something to keep in mind: Recent Oilers draft pick Theo Peckham has put up 11 points in 8 games for Owen Sound. He is a bruising defenceman and I would argue he has very little offensive ability to speak of. Both Pelech and Peckham play on very strong clubs in the OHL which likely has a lot to do with the numbers they've put up.

What I'm curious about is Pelech's skating - has anyone seen him play this year and can they speak about his mobility and skating ability? I saw him at the Flames rookie camp a season or two ago and he was the worst skater on the ice but I've heard he's improved in this regard.

advantage2006

Feb 4, 2006
Canada
The interesting thing here is that he does not play on the PP so most of his points are 5 on 5.

Most D with points get them on the PP.

Pelech this year is finally getting a chance to be the backbone of a teams defense and he is making the best of it.

Still takes a lot of penalties but a lot of them are due to size difference in my opinion.
Maybe he didnt play on the PP for London but he is for belleville.I have season tickets and he's always playing with Subban.The only problem is hes slow but hes great at making diving attempts for the puck.

GO BULLS GO
7-3

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Maybe he didnt play on the PP for London but he is for belleville.I have season tickets and he's always playing with Subban.The only problem is hes slow but hes great at making diving attempts for the puck.

GO BULLS GO
7-3
How is his mobility so far this season? You've mentioned he's slow, does he get burned to the outside frequently or is he a good enough skater to angle forwards off?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->