Rumor: Matt O'Connor

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Sorry if I missed a thread this would be better suited in.

I know it has been mentioned before but there is news on it I guess.

Would be cool to land this guy, but almost for sure that Hiller/Ramo won't be back next year.

If he does pick Calgary, I see a Ramo/Ortio NHL tandem, and an O'Connor/Gilles AHL team. With McDonald playing one more year of Junior.

Hiller traded at the draft for maybe an additional 2nd/3rd? Package to get a mid 1st?

Anyways, point of the thread is we are interested, and that's something to distract us from the out of town scoreboard, at least for a little bit.

Spector has this optimistic tweet

While Bobby Mac says otherwise

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Does anyone think this could potentially effect Gillies wanting to sign with us? O'Connor, McDonald, Ortio, etc...

I think he's the best of the bunch, but it could be somewhat threatening to him... Just thinking out loud.

Aug 3, 2010
Not that I'm complaining, but it's astounding how many of these college FAs Calgary has been "in" on.

Signed Morrison.
In on (and lost) Baun and Bailey.
In on O'Connor.

I'm liking this direction and focus the Flames are bringing to the NCAA. The way these young players have developed, it's basically a free third-round pick - not a lock to make the NHL but a much better developed gamble on a player that plays with peers of similar age and physical maturity.

Also, I like that they're not offering to burn a year of their ELC just to get them to sign. They did it with Gaudreau, but presumably (aka no rumours) they're doing it with Morrison.

Does anyone think this could potentially effect Gillies wanting to sign with us? O'Connor, McDonald, Ortio, etc...

I think he's the best of the bunch, but it could be somewhat threatening to him... Just thinking out loud.

It's only a threat if he lets it be one. Every goaltender prospect is a crapshoot. Just like any other skater on the ice, they need to outperform their peers, and the reminder that there is competition needs to be prevalent in the background or the foreground, especially because of the limited amount of spots a roster has for them.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
It's only a threat if he lets it be one. Every goaltender prospect is a crapshoot. Just like any other skater on the ice, they need to outperform their peers, and the reminder that there is competition needs to be prevalent in the background or the foreground, especially because of the limited amount of spots a roster has for them.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Often goalies picked in mid to later rounds can surpass those picked in the 1st, three rounds because their development is so unpredictable (ie. Ortio picked in the 6th). I think it's wise to chose goalies with the right physical tools (size and ability) early on and take the riskier ones with later picks. Anyways yeah, if we can sign this guy why not? None of Gillies or MM have proven jack until they make it. Bring in competition to push these guys will only benefit everyone long term.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Surprised he's visiting Edmonton and didn't just go for the DVD. Or are they not giving those out anymore? :laugh:

Maybe it's a site visit hosted by Treliving.

"If you look out your right window, you'll see a pile of garbage. That's Edmonton. In Calgary, we call that a dump."

:sarcasm:

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary
Goalie depth is good but I kind of feel this goalie is getting hyped up due to the team he is on. Never know with goalies though

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Goalie depth is good but I kind of feel this goalie is getting hyped up due to the team he is on. Never know with goalies though

Eric Hartzell, who won the hobey baker when johnny was a sophomore, had a very good NCAA career as well and last I seen he's putting up average numbers in the ECHL. NCAA players that go undrafted are sort of a crap shoot and I think goalies even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad