Prospect Info: Matt O'Connor #29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Oh, my post wasn't in response to your question. It was more my reaction to seeing his stat line after only a handful of games.

Ah I see. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

I was a little surprised to see his stats, but only because they are reaaaaly bad. But I also haven't followed Bingo at all so didn't know what was going on down there.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I still believe in him. I wait as long as possible to judge goalie prospects, which is a polar opposite of my philosophy with forward prospects. But no denying this kid has looked dreadful so far.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's a young goalie who just finished his first pro year after playing for a very strong college team

He's still a good 2 to 3 years away from being NHL ready I'd think

Nosswor

Jun 24, 2016
If he was 21 and coming out of college, I'd be optimistic, but the guy is already 24.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
IMO, he's got this season to impress.

If he doesn't, that's wrap on his Senators career. We won't qualify him if he can't get a handle on the AHL by the time he's 25.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Next off season prior to the expansion draft, if need be it'll be a good time to acquire a project/prospect goalie in a similar position as Lehner was development wise.

This might be a reason why the team hasn't rushed to find a goalie of the future. There'll be guys available in a buyers market next year before the expansion draft, and although they'll miss out on a few more established goalies that were moved right away like Frederik Andersen, they'll have another year to evaluate O'Connor and figure out how long they think Craig Anderson can keep up his current level of play while still having an opportunity to "steal" a goalie like Calvin Pickard from a team preparing for the expansion draft

There are teams like Colorado that are still rolling with two non-exempt goalies. So I find it hard to believe that there won't be guys on the market next year after the playoffs.

I don't think the team is as worried about Anderson as some of the posters on this board might be. But at the same time, it is interesting to look at the contract structures of Anderson and Lehner and see that Anderson's was front loaded where he made almost 5M last season and this upcoming season, but only about 3M next season which is when Lehner would have been finished his bridge deal for Ottawa. Which might mean Ottawa had Anderson penciled in as the expected number 2 guy when he is 36 going on 37 in 2017-2018.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Hopefully we see an improvement this year from him.

Bingo was a tire fire defensively last year, so you can't place full blame on him though.

Contract year as well for him.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Hopefully we see an improvement this year from him.

Bingo was a tire fire defensively last year, so you can't place full blame on him though.

Contract year as well for him.

The goalie situation will be interesting going forward.

Both Anderson and Hammond will have a year left on their contracts while Anderson who hasn't shown any signs of slowing down yet will be 36 going on 37.

At 25, if O'Connor has a strong year in the AHL and makes progress, he might push for a 1 way deal. People seem to be writing him off a bit quickly after a bad first year. I am not suggesting that he is a bluechip sure thing goalie prospect, but I don't think the Senators have entirely written him off as a future NHLer after one bad season. They've brought in a new coach in the AHL, and a new goalie coach in the organization which might point to them placing the blame on O'Connor's first year partially on the staff.

There's also the factor that there might be a slight buyers market for goalies from teams with two strong goalies due to the expansion draft, so Ottawa might have the option to go in an entirely different direction.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
O'Connor also had a strong finish to the season so maybe it just took him awhile to adjust to professional hockey.

I think he's going to be another Bishop. He'll use his size well but he's never going to make any highlight reel saves.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
yeah..we are going to need to trade for a number 1 goalie soon

Yeah that's the thing that's annoying me the most with the team. Andy ain't getting any younger and we don't have much else that might be ready soon. I am optimistic there is a market for goalies though considering we gave 2 good ones in the recent years. Andy should've been traded when his value was at his peak.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Yeah that's the thing that's annoying me the most with the team. Andy ain't getting any younger and we don't have much else that might be ready soon. I am optimistic there is a market for goalies though considering we gave 2 good ones in the recent years. Andy should've been traded when his value was at his peak.

If we don't have anything ready yet, why would we have traded Anderson? We'd be worse off than now, by having to rush multiple goalie prospects as we burn them out and depleting our stock even faster.

Better to let Anderson play out his time here, until one of Hogberg or O'Connor show that they're ready to take a step up.

Hopefully this season, O'Connor takes a major step forward with the new staff. I'm sure there was some growing pains, and one of the reasons O'Connor chose us was our promise not to rush him.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
If we don't have anything ready yet, why would we have traded Anderson? We'd be worse off than now, by having to rush multiple goalie prospects as we burn them out and depleting our stock even faster.

Better to let Anderson play out his time here, until one of Hogberg or O'Connor show that they're ready to take a step up.

Hopefully this season, O'Connor takes a major step forward with the new staff. I'm sure there was some growing pains, and one of the reasons O'Connor chose us was our promise not to rush him.

"Caeldan":

Perhaps Chris Driedger will be the goalie that takes the next step to play up top.......

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
that providence goal killed his soul. just like lidstrom on cloutier.

this guy is going to be working at wendy's in about 14 months. book it.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
"Caeldan":

Perhaps Chris Driedger will be the goalie that takes the next step to play up top.......

Perhaps, though it seems presently that the organization has him permanently slotted into a backup role at best in the NHL.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada

For years we heard about the budget and how we would spend when management felt we would be ready to take the next step. Anderson was carrying us and playing at the highest level he's ever been. Meanwhile we acquired Ben Bishop and had Lehner in the wings, Bishop looked fine playing for us and I think the smart thing to do when we had the chance was to trade Andy while his value was sky high cause we didn't have the team to compete yet and we would've been better keeping goalies in the age range of our club. Instead today Andy's best years are behind, he's not getting younger and we don't have a lot coming in to replace him. Let's hope Andy can play at a high level still cause it seems the last 2 years he started giving up more bad goals even though his numbers didn't drop a lot.

Let's hope like you said O'Connor takes a big step forward as this is pretty much is make or break year with us he's not exactly 21 years old.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
For years we heard about the budget and how we would spend when management felt we would be ready to take the next step. Anderson was carrying us and playing at the highest level he's ever been. Meanwhile we acquired Ben Bishop and had Lehner in the wings, Bishop looked fine playing for us and I think the smart thing to do when we had the chance was to trade Andy while his value was sky high cause we didn't have the team to compete yet and we would've been better keeping goalies in the age range of our club. Instead today Andy's best years are behind, he's not getting younger and we don't have a lot coming in to replace him. Let's hope Andy can play at a high level still cause it seems the last 2 years he started giving up more bad goals even though his numbers didn't drop a lot.

Let's hope like you said O'Connor takes a big step forward as this is pretty much is make or break year with us he's not exactly 21 years old.

Unless someone was actually posting in 2012 saying that Bishop should be our goalie of the future and he is the most talented out of Anderson and Lehner, and that if we trade him it will blow up in our faces, I cannot take seriously the hindsight GM type posts about us keeping Bishop.

Bishop had played only THIRTY NHL games. The fact that he could have been had for value around a second round pick, yet teams weren't lining up to grab him shows that Ottawa wasn't the only team who missed the boat on Bishop's potential. What people are suggesting is that Ottawa should have traded arguably the best starter they've ever had other than Hasek who prior to being injured was having an elite year in an attempt to bet on a goalie who played 30 career games. All the while, Anderson at the time was still young, and the Senators had a blue chip goalie prospect in Robin Lehner already coined as the goalie of the future.

Again, if someone was posting in 12-13 about how big of a mistake trading Bishop would be, and about how he is going to be a Vezina contender and one of the best goalies in the league, respect to them for getting it right. But the captain hindsight GM stuff is just lame. Ottawa made a HUGE mistake trading a goalie like Bishop to a division rival for Conacher, there is no discounting that. But almost nobody thought it was a mistake at the time.

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Unless someone was actually posting in 2012 saying that Bishop should be our goalie of the future and he is the most talented out of Anderson and Lehner, and that if we trade him it will blow up in our faces, I cannot take seriously the hindsight GM type posts about us keeping Bishop.

Bishop had played only THIRTY NHL games. The fact that he could have been had for value around a second round pick, yet teams weren't lining up to grab him shows that Ottawa wasn't the only team who missed the boat on Bishop's potential. What people are suggesting is that Ottawa should have traded arguably the best starter they've ever had other than Hasek who prior to being injured was having an elite year in an attempt to bet on a goalie who played 30 career games. All the while, Anderson at the time was still young, and the Senators had a blue chip goalie prospect in Robin Lehner already coined as the goalie of the future.

Again, if someone was posting in 12-13 about how big of a mistake trading Bishop would be, and about how he is going to be a Vezina contender and one of the best goalies in the league, respect to them for getting it right. But the captain hindsight GM stuff is just lame. Ottawa made a HUGE mistake trading a goalie like Bishop to a division rival for Conacher, there is no discounting that. But almost nobody thought it was a mistake at the time.

The thing I am saying is with the team we had and the mentality of the management the smart thing to do was that. Again, Bishop, when he was here, played fine and we had Lehner like you said as the goalie of the future. I am not talking about the trade I am talking about the decision we made, just like we chose Anderson over Lehner last year. But that's just my opinion.

Now when you look at it we'll be in a hole when Andy's done and he won't get any better but I have hope that there is a goalie market, if we gave up 2 we should be able to get one in the future from a team like us.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013

Anderson is a weird goalie, because it seems like this fan base was so used to goalies failing that despite being one of the longest term and statistical best goalies in Senators history, at least in online discussion it seems like Anderson is always talked about as if he is some stop gap. It becomes funny when the stop gap discussion lasts 5 years.

Anderson has shown no real signs of slowing down. Goalies tend to last longer than skaters. Anderson being Ottawa's starter for the next two seasons shouldn't be an issue. He's a solid regular season goaltender, a beast in the playoffs, and this might be the first time in his ENTIRE CAREER that he has played behind a true top 4 defense with hopefully a competent system.

Because teams will want to hedge their bets against losing an unprotected goalie for "nothing" in the expansion draft, there'll be options for Ottawa to get another goaltender this summer if they are uncertain about their future in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad