Speculation: Matt Murray

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Declined the last two years? Never heard a player hit 40 goals and 70+ pts without having the luxury of playing with Crosby or Malkin declining but sure lol.

Unlike Guentzel DeBrincat was able to be the man on his line and potted 40 without one of Crosby/Malkin as his center. Not even going into how he is much younger and made the league earlier while Guentzel needed 3 and a half years in the NCAA/AHL to make an NHL team. DeBrincat has been better than Guentzel for 2 of the last 3 years and even his "down year" is a lot better than Guentzel's down year in 2018. The only thing Guentzel had was this year where DeBrincat had a slump and even then the real guentzel is a bit of an unknown considering he has barely played away from 87/71 while Cat was able to put up 50 pts with Sharp and Bouma as his linemates...

Glad you like him, I wouldn’t swap Guentzel for him. Feel free to start a poll, would be curious what the HF consensus is of who is the superior player.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I wonder what Murray’s save percentage is without Jack Johnson on the ice. Seriously.

At least against Montreal it was like Johnson was on the ice for most goals against.

I’m too lazy to look it up but if anyone is bored it would probably be an interesting stat.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yeah. Debrincat has slowly declined the past two years. He is paid more than Jake and obviously the inferior player and we have no use for Strome.

Debrincat has been in NHL for 3 years

17-18 = 28 goals + 24 assists for 52 pts in 82 games
18-19 = 41 goals + 35 assists for 76 pts in 82 games
19-20 = 18 goals + 27 assists for 45 pts in 70 games

Yeah 41 goals and 35 assists is Declining

:rolleyes:

He is 22 yr old coming off year in which he struggled ,, It happens

The push by some to declare his career over and trade him makes no sense

Also Matt Murray blows and is not worth any quality assets via trade at this point and certainly wont be worth $$ he wants on contract

Last edited:
Reactions: Darren McCord

dayner

May 23, 2017
I'd happily swap Murray for Strome. We've been lacking that third line C presence since we jettisoned Bonino. Strome could be a nice Jordan Staal replacement there too.
How about a slightly used Brandon Sutter ;)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Also Matt Murray blows and is not worth any quality assets via trade at this point and certainly wont be worth $$ he wants on contract

I’m sorry. I like Debrincat a lot and was not speaking ill of him.

I’ve noticed a tons of Hawks fans down on him. That’s all I was speaking towards.

I don’t think Murray would bring back Debrincat and was simply commenting on a Hawks fan’s proposal.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
That makes me even more confused with that response :laugh:

Is Debrincat somehow in the dog house for the Hawks now? I wouldn't be happy with swapping Guentzel for Debrincat, but the tone of that post didn't make me think of Debrincat.

I think he was implying the difference is the difference between DeBrincat and Jake and as an outsider that’s probably correct.

Strome > Murray
Guentzel < DeBrincat

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

The irony in your rationale is humorous.

"DeBrincat had a down year!"
*Murray has one* - Murray blows!

Hypocrisy, be thy name.

The usual HF rationale with stuff like this - Our team likely needs said player, let me now devalue him to his entire fan base, insulting everyone's intelligence and then act like my team doesn't need that player (when it desperately does since there's literally nothing from within that sniffs like a starter)...

Looks about right, within this thread.

So the options are either trying to hope Lehner comes back (lol, yeah right) or a bunch of goalies 30+ years or older, that might be a stop gap for 2-3yrs before they are done, or a 26yr old goalie that had some down times to start each season, rebounds, then has issues in front of him with his team and his game. Murray has struggled, yeah, but there's proof, very damn good proof, that when he's on his game, he's an elite goalie, I think he's one of those guys that when he's finally traded and now has "his team"...he'll thrive again. There were issues in Pittsburgh for him after the 2nd cup, the Fleury stuff that got into his head, his father passing, his injuries, he's basically just lost his mojo there and a change of scenery is best for both sides, it doesn't mean he sucks though. Beyond ridiculous anyone jumps to that notion and this coming from one of Murray's biggest critics on the Pens board.

Then there's literally the track record for goalies - Age 26-30 is when a lot of goalies "figure it out" and get to their game. Murray peaked super early, then had some struggles, one in which he lost his biggest supporter and family member - His Father.

Look at MAF, he lost his Dad and his whole season went away from him, he needed more time and the VGK traded for Lehner later than they should have, now they have their own goalie controversy.

It's...it's like losing a very close loved one....has some severe impact or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Empoleon8771

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

You: Debrincat only had 1 bad off year in which he struggled
Also you: Matt Murray blows and is not worth any quality asset

Par the course for the idiocy that is the main boards, my player who had a bad year just had a down year while your player who had a bad year sucks.

Reactions: Hamurai

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Guentzel < DeBrincat

Im curious as to why you have DeBrincat over Jake?

DeBrincat makes more money on a shorter contract and has less points per game than Jake over the last 3 seasons. Guentzel had almost as many points as him this year in 30 less games.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

DeBrincat makes more money on a shorter contract and has less points per game than Jake over the last 3 seasons. Guentzel had almost as many points as him this year in 30 less games.

It was a mistake I meant to put it the other way to balance value

Reactions: Darren McCord

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

He's not better than Guentzel.

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If they did want a Larsson and Puljujarvi package I’d add something and ask for Murray and McCann who I’ve seen mentioned as a trade target on here.

Would fill 2 holes for us as we need a 3C and a Smith replacement. Bouchard should be ready so we could potentially move Larsson

I don't feel comfortable trading Larsson until Bouchard has shown he can play top 4 minutes or there is another replacement. IF Bouchard isn't ready, you're running Bear and some combination of Benning/Jones as your top two RD while tying up $9-10 million in goaltending.

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I’m sorry. I like Debrincat a lot and was not speaking ill of him.

I’ve noticed a tons of Hawks fans down on him. That’s all I was speaking towards.

I don’t think Murray would bring back Debrincat and was simply commenting on a Hawks fan’s proposal.

Down seasons dont exist in this board. People were saying MacKinnon is just a mediocre first liner after failing to improve after 2014.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
If those of you that are speculating Murray will get $6 million are correct, then I’m not sure he has any trade value at all.

ColbyChaos

Sep 27, 2017
Will County
You mean other than the 23 of those that were scored with Toews on the ice and 21 scored with Kane on the ice?

Per Dobber frozen tools.

2019: Most productive line at even strength Kahun-Strome-DeBrincat

3rd most productive line: Perlini-Strome-DeBrincat

In total 40% of his ev strength production (20pts) was away from Kane and Toews. In fact he scored more with Strome on his line than either of those two at an individual basis(43 pts with Strome on the ice vs 36 with Toews and 35 with Kane)

2019 Guentzel:

EV Points away from Sid: 2

PP points away from Sid: 5

Also you really going to pretend Toews and Kane are comparable to 2 generational talents? Not a great argument there at all tbh. No one is questioning Guentzel had the better 2020 season but Cat's 2019 season is not only more impressive but he was also better in 2018 which was a down year for Guentzel anyway. Also not factoring DeBrincat didnt have a major injury that could be career altering.

Acting like Guentzel is in a different league or much better than debrincat is peak what have you done for me lately mentality

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad