Player Discussion: Matt Hendricks

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Hendricks has exceeded expectations, yet he is someone who I see as being replaced at the trade deadline.

I find it absolutely impossible to believe they'll get rid of him before the playoffs are over (nor should they). His grit will come in handy there as will his leadership. Most of this crew has never played in a playoffs before.

Reactions: Shaibu

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Its not like he needs to play every game to be in the 'room'. Players not dressed for the game don't get sent out of town.
I really think that's all that we want out of Mo on these odd choices - a little bit of sensibility. Sure Hendricks seems to be fitting in Ok on that 4th line, but does he need to be on the ice every game..... playing 5 mins + change. Why can't he sit once every 4-5 games & let some of the PB guys take a twirl (as in Dano rather than sitting the guy for 20 games straight). Just keep getting the same down the throat business with Hendy that we got with Thorbs and Stu.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really think that's all that we want out of Mo on these odd choices - a little bit of sensibility. Sure Hendricks seems to be fitting in Ok on that 4th line, but does he need to be on the ice every game..... playing 5 mins + change. Why can't he sit once every 4-5 games & let some of the PB guys take a twirl (as in Dano rather than sitting the guy for 20 games straight). Just keep getting the same down the throat business with Hendy that we got with Thorbs and Stu.

I prefer him playing once every 3-5 games while rotating several other players out for an occasional rest but I won't quibble over the ratio.

His play has been adequate but not optimal. His biggest contribution is apparently the intangibles. He doesn't need to be on the ice all the time for a lot of those. Maybe he should play half the time if 3-4 other players are in the rotation with him. Half should be enough to get near all of the intangibles.

That said, he is a likeable character even through TV. The positive attitude shows. I find myself liking him the same as everybody else seems to. I always liked Thorburn too.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015

Dano and Hendricks don't play the same position?....

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
We've got a lot of centre/wingers though. Not hard to make it work

Why would we f*** with the chemistry of our third line every couple of games just to get Hendricks out of the lineup?

That is assuming Copp moves to 4C unless of course we use Matthias as a 4C.... Which I'm sure no one wants.

Roslo clearly isn't being considered at C quite yet and therefore shouldn't be considered for the role and Frankly I think playing him at C between Matthias and Dano might be a recipe for failure and reduced minutes at this point anyways.

Hendy is on pace for 20P in an 82 game season and his play, effort level and leadership have IMO made his an everyday player for the moment.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I can see why a lot of the Edmonton players say the Oilers should not have let him go--the guy gives it 100% effort. You've gotta give him credit.

Make you wonder if McDavid is really missing his veteran voice of support in the room this season.

Reactions: GNP

jets2020champs

Nov 6, 2016
Canada
No chance that he’ll ever get us a short handed goal, but I’d rather have him block shots than Wheeler or Scheifele.

If anyone gets a chance to watch jets hockey live, watch the bench after Tanev or Hendricks blocks a shot. Also the Jet coming out of the penalty box. The players really appreciate what these guys do.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
No chance that he’ll ever get us a short handed goal, but I’d rather have him block shots than Wheeler or Scheifele.

If anyone gets a chance to watch jets hockey live, watch the bench after Tanev or Hendricks blocks a shot. Also the Jet coming out of the penalty box. The players really appreciate what these guys do.

Watch, he will now get a shortie against Buffalo tonight :naughty:

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
Hendrix's goals as I recall have not come during garbage time. Vegas SJ and one other I believe we're key momentum goals. I was wrong about him being used in the lineup. He is slow AF but he plays well within his own abilities and is a net positive in most games. My biggest fear was him having to obstruct to win puck battles. But he is a pretty smart MF'er with his body position and stick

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Agree with the bold.
I'd rather one of ours had the puck though. Then nobody needs to block shots. The PK is working well using the 5 goalie system so that probably isn't an option. So we are back to your statement. Definitely better Hendricks blocking shots than Wheeler or Scheifele. :laugh:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
If he is going to be a regular player , which it looks like he is , we Jets fans should all chip in and buy him a new mouth guard , i hate looking at that old yellow thing in his mouth all the time . :laugh:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's funny how last year Pomo was criticized for changing the lines too much and now this year he's criticized for not changing them enough.

Yes, it is. But what I am suggesting is a little different. It isn't the line blender. It is just regularly getting the PB crew into games and giving planned rests to other players.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
Agree with the bold.
I'd rather one of ours had the puck though. Then nobody needs to block shots. The PK is working well using the 5 goalie system so that probably isn't an option. So we are back to your statement. Definitely better Hendricks blocking shots than Wheeler or Scheifele. :laugh:

That's generally how you get the puck on the PK, block shots and get sticks in passing lanes.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
That's generally how you get the puck on the PK, block shots and get sticks in passing lanes.

That's one way. It is certainly the way with our 5 goalie PK. I don't think it is the only way.

Hard to complain about our PK lately. It has been working effectively, and long enough to be more than just variance. It still looks like **** and is taking years off my life but it is managing to get the job done.

Monkey D Luffy

Go Bombers!
Nov 20, 2017
Winnipeg, MB
That's one way. It is certainly the way with our 5 goalie PK. I don't think it is the only way.

Hard to complain about our PK lately. It has been working effectively, and long enough to be more than just variance. It still looks like **** and is taking years off my life but it is managing to get the job done.

I have no idea what you're talking about man. 5 goalie PK? are you saying there is a PK in the NHL that dominates control of the puck while one man down? If so show me an example :laugh:

The goal of the PK is to kill the penalty, generally going for short handed goals is risky and can lead to odd man break which is why it happens so infrequently.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I have no idea what you're talking about man. 5 goalie PK? are you saying there is a PK in the NHL that dominates control of the puck while one man down? If so show me an example :laugh:

I thought it was pretty obvious. The Jets PK strategy is to have the 4 skaters block lanes, block passes ..... and stop shots just like goalies do. :laugh: I prefer a more aggressive PK that more often takes the puck away from the PP and makes more effort to hold the blue line. But this 5 goalie system is working so I'm not complaining. I hope you don't mind if I continue to call it a 5 goalie system though 'cause that is what it is.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

I’d love to hear things like this tat are off camera. Some of us aren’t fortunate enough to make games. Drives a bit far. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->