Player Discussion: Matt Hendricks

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Just wanted to say a lot of us need to gladly down a big helping of crow. After looking like one of the best Jets this afternoon for at least the third time this season, it’s really hard not to like this guy. He’s now pacing for 8 Gs as the 4th line C which is pretty respectable, is very good in the face off circle (which has the Jets among the top of the NHL -no coincidence since Hendricks came here) and brings that grit and tenacity and leadership that you don’t see in his marginal advanced stats. That’s not even including his impact in the dressing room and the community where he’s reportedly loved by teammates.

I for one am on the Hendricks bandwagon after being very skeptical of the signing. His added leadership and presence seems to be exactly what we needed to drive our bottom 6 to take that next step this season.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
He really does seem like an good dude, but he's not good enough. He's the best beer league player in the world. He thinks the game pretty well, has a pretty high pain tolerance, but he doesn't have the physical tools at all for this level.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
He really does seem like an good dude, but he's not good enough. He's the best beer league player in the world. He thinks the game pretty well, has a pretty high pain tolerance, but he doesn't have the physical tools at all for this level.

Agreed, but Maurice just loves him so it looks like he will be in the line up for the foreseeable future, winning cures all ills.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Probably should have played 35% of the games he has...Dano needs more ice time and Matthias less.

Reactions: sipowicz

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Hendrick's shot is underrated, and I've been impressed with some of his goals. He can get the puck up, and pick the corners. He's not the fasted skater, but he's strong on the puck and makes some nice plays-- "he's also a pretty good playmaker."

Also he's a veteran player in the dressing room, and seems to elevate the team, and a lot of the guys like him. I think he's a big positive for the Jets right now, and this guy has impressed me. When I first heard of the signing I wasn't happy, but this guy has proved me wrong-"that's great."

I can see why a lot of the Edmonton players say the Oilers should not have let him go--the guy gives it 100% effort. You've gotta give him credit.

Last edited:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
He is fun to watch and always has a smile on his face. Probably because he knows his career is on borrowed time so he's not going to take it for granted and is enjoying it, doing whatever the team needs him to do (block shots and eat fists).

Jets are winning and the players love having him around, so I dont mind him in the lineup.

He seems like a great dude to go have a beer with.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Hendrick's shot is underrated, and I've been impressed with some of his goals. He can get the puck up, and pick the corners. He's not the fasted skater, but he's strong on the puck and makes some nice plays-- "he's also a pretty good playmaker."

Also he's a veteran player in the dressing room, and seems to elevate the team, and a lot of the guys like him. I think he's a big positive for the Jets right now, and this guy has impressed me. When I first heard of the signing I wasn't happy, but this guy has proved me wrong-"that's great."

I can see why a lot of the Edmonton players say the Oilers should not have let him go--the guy gives it 100% effort. You've gotta give him credit.
Hendricks could actually be good on penalty shots. Seems like he could surprise.

Reactions: Ippenator and GNP

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Still not a big fan, especially when we've had a glimpse of how good Copp can be at C and Dano is playing great on wing.

Interesting that he went right after Dillon today. I think it was because Dillon was snark to Wheeler on a previous shift and Hendricks was sending a strong message. That sort of thing really earns brownie points with teammates and coaches, still.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Still not a big fan, especially when we've had a glimpse of how good Copp can be at C and Dano is playing great on wing.

Interesting that he went right after Dillon today. I think it was because Dillon was snark to Wheeler on a previous shift and Hendricks was sending a strong message. That sort of thing really earns brownie points with teammates and coaches, still.

Hendricks suggested it was Dillon who wanted to fight him in his interview.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
It brings me great pleasure that he is outscoring petan at 5v5, even though half of petans icetime was with wheeler.

He's not the greatest player in the world. He's not a driver. But he's getting results. Which is good enough for me.

Reactions: Sabadecade

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I'm not so sure any more we need someone else for fourth line center. Toughness like his will come in handy in the playoffs.

I agree, I found it odd that Hendricks was a healthy scratch for all the Oiler's playoff run last season.

Sometimes it s the unlikely guys that turn up the intensity for the playoffs.
Buff was a really good during the the Black Hawks Stanley Cup win a long time ago.
Maybe Buff can get his game back in time for the playoffs.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Also earned a ton of brownie points for the fans in the arena. Hendrick's work effort and strong personality is slowly making him quite popular with many fans.

Reactions: GNP

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If we were losing it would be driving me crazy. I 100% get that Matt is playing past his expiry date but as a friend of mine in the dairy business wisely said... “hey the stamp on the side of dairy product says best before not poison after”. I would prefer he play less but the guy has an infectious personality and the infant joy for the game that he possesses is pretty fun for me to be around when we are winning.

Hey I have no idea why but even the smartest coach seems to need glue in his diet see Babcock, Mike?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
, is very good in the face off circle (which has the Jets among the top of the NHL -no coincidence since Hendricks came here)

His FO% for this year is below 50 though and worst of the centers... Little has been very good, but most of all Scheifele & Lowry have really stepped up in the circle this season. Of the 4 regular centers Hendricks is actually the guy bringing the numbers down with his ~49 - the other 3 have 54-57 or so. Unless of course you believe he has been a great help in practice for training faceoffs. Which I suppose could be true but I have no way of knowing.

In any case I kinda like the guy, though it's very easy to make a case the team could have a way stronger 4th line with a better center, but I think it comes down to intanglibles and if you believe in those and whether Hendricks impact is very important for the team. I think you'd have to ask the coaches and players (and get a honest answer!) to truly know. But everything does point at him being a good influence on the team.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
How many faceoffs does Hendricks take in a game anyway? Ten maybe? 54 vs 49 is pretty much statistically insignificant on a per game basis on that small a number. They both are about 5 out of ten.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I agree, I found it odd that Hendricks was a healthy scratch for all the Oiler's playoff run last season.

He was a healthy scratch because the Oilers were a better team without him in the lineup.

I'm impressed with his enthusiasm and effort, but not his capabilities. I would rather see the ice time be given to Dano / Copp. If you need his 'glue' in the dressing room, which I honestly doubt, then bring him along and have him play 25-30% of the games and give the balance of the ice time to the young guys that we want to develop and who already bring more.

He did have a good game yesterday and he brings energy and effort every night. Energy and effort doesn't mean he is an NHL level player.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
After the first period last night, he pretty much JUMPED over the board to personally talk to every single Jet coming off the ice. That scene really stood out to me. And the players actually seem to answer to this. They looked like they'd really appreciate it.

Reactions: GNP

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
When we first signed him I'll be honest I wasn't to excited and left scratching my head as he basically was another Thorburn (who I loved for his dressing room presence but not in the lineup) but this guy is a gamer, watching him throughout the season the guy brings so much to this team. His leadership, his camaraderie with every guy on this team, his grit, his tenacity, his penalty killing and the guy even chips in with goals and assists. Simply put I love the guy, I can guarantee he has been a huge help to all the young talent we have on this team, watching him talk with Roslovic on the bench yesterday you can tell the boys listen up when he speaks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad