Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
I’d like to see Grizz with Carlo for an extended period of time and therefore reunite Krug with McQuaid.

The Krug and Carlo pairing has consistently failed and I feel as though Carlo needs a higher IQ defender to pair with - Grizz seems to be a higher IQ defenseman than Krug in his own zone (that’s not to take anything away from Krug, he’s showcased his smarts in his first few games with the Bruins after he signed out of NCAA, I just don’t think he and Carlo mesh well for whatever reason) and I think there is room there for a permanent pairing.

Reuniting Krug with McQuaid - which has consistently proven to be an effective pairing - also allows Krug’s best attributes shine through. I see this as a win-win.

Grizz is an absolute must-sign for Sweeney.

Last edited:
Reactions: TwineTickler

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I’d like to see Grizz with Carlo for an extended period of time and therefore reunite Krug with McQuaid.

The Krug and Carlo pairing has consistently failed and I feel as though Carlo needs a higher IQ defender to pair with - Grizz seems to be a higher IQ defenseman than Krug in his own zone (that’s not to take anything away from Krug, he’s showcased his smarts in his first few games with the Bruins after he signed out of NCAA, I just don’t think he and Carlo mesh well for whatever reason) and I think there is room there for a permanent pairing.

Reuniting Krug with McQuaid - which has consistently proven to be an effective pairing - also allows Krug’s best attributes shine through. I see this as a win-win.

Grizz is an absolute must-sign for Sweeney.

In his career, Krug has played over a 100 minutes with 9 different partners.

He is a minus player with one of them.

Adam McQuaid.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
In his career, Krug has played over a 100 minutes with 9 different partners.

He is a minus player with one of them.

Adam McQuaid.
Wow, would not expect that at all - I’ve always thought that they complemented each other well, but apparently I haven’t been paying close enough attention.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'm thinking something similar to what Pelech signed last year on the NYI. His was 4 years 6.4 mil (1.6 per).

Pelech last year - 44 games, 10 pts, 16:50 Avg TOI
Grzelyck so far this year - 48 games, 14 pts, 16:05 Avg TOI

4 years 7.5 mil?
Years 3 and 4 could be huge value if a 27/8 year old Grzelyck turns into a top 4 guy

Although now looking at their experience, Pelech had 1 full year pro more than Gryz so perhaps that goes in Gryz's favor. Maybe just meet and the middle 4 years 8 mil and call it a day

If im his agent... i advise a 2 year deal. Only reason to lock in for 4 is if you dont believe you can be a top 4 guy

If he was willing to sign 4 years for under 8 mill its a steal for us

Reactions: maxbme

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Krug had 1 x $1.4m 2nd contract.

I could see Grzelcyk taking 2 x $1.5-$2.o as a similar show me contract. After that, he will want to get paid like Krug if his offense improves.

Then again, if he has an awesome playoffs, he could be making $3m+ per year next year.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
In my list of favorite things I'm slotting him between coconut cake and paid holidays

No Chara
No Krug
No worries

Matt Grzelcyk has been unbelievable

You want to teach your kid to play defense? Take him or her to a Bruins game and tell them watch Grzelcyk

Jack218D

Jan 27, 2012
In my list of favorite things I'm slotting him between coconut cake and paid holidays

No Chara
No Krug
No worries

Matt Grzelcyk has been unbelievable

You want to teach your kid to play defense? Take him or her to a Bruins game and tell them watch Grzelcyk

I have been watching Grzelcyk very closely myself, and have marveled at his "Puck" game. You cant get the puck from him. He is so elusive, and plays such a smart defensive style. Kid has been a revelation. If his offensive game ever really develops, watch out.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
I have been watching Grzelcyk very closely myself, and have marveled at his "Puck" game. You cant get the puck from him. He is so elusive, and plays such a smart defensive style. Kid has been a revelation. If his offensive game ever really develops, watch out.

I love watching Grz! turning into one of my favourite players! He absolutely is one of the primary reasons the bruins continue to win through all the injuries.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I think in the wining goal he held his ground and batted the puck out of the air to keep it in

He's really good as it is but at 6 he would be high end first pair

You can win any game with he and Krug both in your lineup

June 2016 I was at Uninversal standing in lines waiting for rides reading thread and post after post how Boston has one of the worst D in hockey and 18 months later they are loaded

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Get this kid locked up now. 5 years at 3mill
And then give Carlo 4 years at 3mill

With Carlo having one year left on his entry deal that would give us a real good young second pairing locked up for the next 5 years at an average of right around 5.5mill which would be amazing! I see Grz growing into a 30+ point dman as soon as next year.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

With Carlo having one year left on his entry deal that would give us a real good young second pairing locked up for the next 5 years at an average of right around 5.5mill which would be amazing! I see Grz growing into a 30+ point dman as soon as next year.

That’d be a steal.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006

Kid has played 40+ games and you want to give him 3 mil already? Is this Chiarelli? Even Carlo won’t get that.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
He is such a great passer.
Dont know why but when hes bringing the puck up and passing it it reminds me of duncan keith

Reactions: DKH

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
He is such a great passer.
Dont know why but when hes bringing the puck up and passing it it reminds me of duncan keith

I am very happily surprised how good this kid is. Not enough hype about him he looks special. Not sure there is anyone better than him on the team with both skating and passing in tight quarters under pressure, Maybe Charlie

BiGBear8

May 21, 2012
all I'm going to say is wow Grz his skating is amazing,3rd period lastnite the way he came in with great speed and same motion he fired a shot,,,,,wild to see rip that shot...speed does kill love this kid..also..great in defence zone with great skating to get to the puck. and carrying it out. lets go bruinnsssssss

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i'd offer him 4 years/6M, see if he bites. that's long-term security and more $ than he probably ever thought he'd get,
playing for the team he grew up rooting for. and if he turns out to be a stud, he gets paid at age 27-28.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
i'd offer him 4 years/6M, see if he bites. that's long-term security and more $ than he probably ever thought he'd get,
playing for the team he grew up rooting for. and if he turns out to be a stud, he gets paid at age 27-28.

I'd have no problem giving Gryz term in order to hopefully keep the AAV down. He's the real deal IMO.

Worst-case, he's a solid 3rd pair puck-moving D-man, and it's still a solid deal for the Bruins.

Best-case, he's more than that, and it becomes a bargain/steal for Boston.

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
What do the Bruins have in Matt Grzelcyk?

“Well, let’s take a look at takeaways and giveaways per hour. Surprisingly, he falls into the defensively sound quadrant here, as he averages more takeaways than giveaways per hour. Contrast that with Norris candidates such as Drew Doughty, who falls into the risky quadrant (more giveaways than takeaways), and Grzelcyk falls firmly into the upper echelon of NHL defensemen. He actually is better at taking the puck away from his opponents than Charlie McAvoy, Victor Hedman, PK Subban, Torey Krug, John Klingberg, and the aforementioned Doughty. Pretty good company.”

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
That's an insane overpay.

I like Grzelcyk a lot, but he's not a 6 million dollar defenseman. Not even close.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

He shouldn't bite at that. But 4 years at 2 million each?

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
What do the Bruins have in Matt Grzelcyk?

“Well, let’s take a look at takeaways and giveaways per hour. Surprisingly, he falls into the defensively sound quadrant here, as he averages more takeaways than giveaways per hour. Contrast that with Norris candidates such as Drew Doughty, who falls into the risky quadrant (more giveaways than takeaways), and Grzelcyk falls firmly into the upper echelon of NHL defensemen. He actually is better at taking the puck away from his opponents than Charlie McAvoy, Victor Hedman, PK Subban, Torey Krug, John Klingberg, and the aforementioned Doughty. Pretty good company.”

I love Grizz, but he usually plays against 3rd line players while the other D mentioned are top pair guys. It doesn’t surprise me that his GA/TA numbers are better than theirs.

I really liked the Grizz/Carlo pairing in the few times we have seen it.

When healthy:

Z-Mac
Krug-Miller
Grizz-Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad