Value of: Matt Duchene to the Carolina Hurricanes

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
2019 1st( either lottery or top 10 protected)
Jake Bean
Julien Gauthier

Would Canes fans be fine with this?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
My first thought is doubtful, but I wonder if a Skinner-Duchene swap could make sense given the contract status of each.

Reactions: DaveG

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
My first thought is doubtful, but I wonder if a Skinner-Duchene swap could make sense given the contract status of each.

I think Ottawa would want futures and not a guy who's gonna walk after 1 year which is exactly what Duchene is going to do if they keep him

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
If it was going to happen it probably would have already. I doubt he will be the type of player Car would be looking for but if it were to happen it would be at next years TDL and the price would be something like a pick and a prospect but even then I just don' t see this lining up right with the trajectories of each team. Now that Car is looking to build around the younger core and moving out guys like Skinner and possibly Faulk, there is little chance Duchene would stay.

Reactions: Chan790

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Jake Bean
Julien Gauthier

If Duchene would be amicable to an extension and Dundon would be committed enough financially to sign him to it, sure.

In the absence of that, that's far too aggressive of a move for Carolina to make. Honestly, the Canes just aren't talented enough to take advantage of that one year of term left on his contract; Duchene doesn't put Carolina over the top.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
No. No interest in Duchene at-all, at any cost.

I don't think he's a top-line C anymore and the Canes have an abundance of mid-6 Cs and guys to tryout at C.

Hard pass. Do not want.
Williams will be done with the Canes after this season and Skinner is likely being traded. Canes need another top 6 player. Duchene can play both wing and center.

Aho-Duchene-Svechnikov
Teravainen-Necas-Lindholm
Staal-Rask-Ryan

Pretty sick top 9.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
No. No interest in Duchene at-all, at any cost.

I don't think he's a top-line C anymore and the Canes have an abundance of mid-6 Cs and guys to tryout at C.

Hard pass. Do not want.

Duchene was a near point per game scorer in the 2nd half.

He's still a very good player. Given the opportunity to get a center of his caliber, with some prime years left at 27, without having to give up a core player in exchange, I think you take it if an extension is viable for both sides.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Jake Bean
Julien Gauthier

Remove Bean and add a guy like Luke Martin or Roland McKeown. With a reasonable extension (after July 1) I’d be fine with that. Although I’m not sure how well Duchene fits with what Brind’Amour wants at Center.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Derek Ryan is gone. He's a UFA. Hopefully, so is Rask. Lindholm is a C; he plays best there. Aho is someone we want at C. TT and Aho are super together. Staal's better at C.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
y'all looking to be terrible to forfeit this year's pick and keep 2019 or y'all looking to get better and hope next year's pick is in the 10-14 range?

If its futures I would say Kuokkanen and next year's first (pre-extension) if post then add in another player, probably bean

If to try to get better, we have some roster players that could benefit you.

But of course if you really want to suck we could take Stone too and put together a pretty sweet package. :naughty: (ps I know it isnt happening)

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
No chance.

Canes previously admitted Duchene would have been on the team, but the 2-year contract was an issue. With a year remaining, there is likely zero probability.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

Except, can't see Skinner waiving his NTC for Ottawa, especially given the cluster&%$ with Karlsson and Hoffman.

edit: better way to phrase it:
The chances of Skinner waiving for Ottawa are less than the chances of Lloyd Christmas ending up with Mary Swanson in Dumb And Dumber.

Last edited:

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
No chance.

Canes previously admitted Duchene would have been on the team, but the 2-year contract was an issue. With a year remaining, there is likely zero probability.
What if they did a sign and trade similar to Kyle Turris.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY

Again, I don't see the need, I think we have too many Cs and potential-Cs as is, and I'm not interested at the expected price tag.

Don't want to give up a 1st for him.

Would give up multiple specs (as our system is deep) and even NHL talent at positions of depth. Can we interest you in Rask?

Reactions: Unsustainable

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I would still love to get Duchene. If we could get him with futures now because of the direction Ottawa might be heading, that'd be great. Even going back to the Avs days I've said I would overpay in futures to get him. The Canes in no way have too many centers, as we have about two guys that have proven they can play center at this level. And seeing as many centers can play the wing, like Lindholm and Aho, I don't see too many centers as being any kind of issue. I don't think it's in the cards though.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No interest in him for the Canes. Doesn't fit the team, age window, or needs.

Literally all you guys have been saying for the last five years is how good things would be if you got 1) proven goaltending and 2) a legit first line centre. Don’t give me ‘Duchene doesn’t fit our needs’, that’s BS.

Reactions: A Star is Burns

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC
This Canes fan wouldn’t be opposed to having Duchene on the team. I’d rather have ROR if he’s available, and any Duchene trade has to involve Victor Rask.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

Can you really trust Ottawa with the mess of a team? Duchene with the Canes would be a perfect fit, but my suspicion is he would refuse and test UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad