Speculation: Matt Duchene Thread Part... Just get a trade done already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I am perfectly fine with that.

I mean its not like Duchene has been bad and is bleeding value by the minute...

And while Milano certainly has surprised me so far its not like he did not also show the things that I was concerned with.

If not for the Canes terrible execution of a 3 on 1 in OT, he would have gone from hero to idiot in a short time span for completely losing his assignment there.

But yeah. He is riding high right now and thats why his mishap basically put him into the position for that breakaway that otherwise wouldn't have happened...
We will see if he can keep it up...

Murray looks pretty good but the concern with him were always his injuries more than anything.
Still don't see the top end potential with him.

Also Chris Bigras has looked pretty good for the Avs at LHD as well to start the season and he plays a somewhat similar game.

So yeah...

Honestly not too sad about it at all...

I'm curious what about Milano you were concerned with?

He is winning board battles and has this amazing ability to take the puck away from the opposition. His defense is very sound in fact Tortorella has called him out for playing good defense multiple times. He has 4 goals in 3 games and oft times he looks like the most skilled player on the Jackets.

I doubt he's available anymore but what isn't he doing?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I'm curious what about Milano you were concerned with?

He is winning board battles and has this amazing ability to take the puck away from the opposition. His defense is very sound in fact Tortorella has called him out for playing good defense multiple times. He has 4 goals in 3 games and oft times he looks like the most skilled player on the Jackets.

I doubt he's available anymore but what isn't he doing?

I have only fully watched the Canes game as well as 1.5 periods of the Islanders game...

I did not like his defensive coverage at times and I really did not like some of his turnovers.
That were the main concerns I had with him.
Milano always has been more of a top6 or bust kind of guy and I think many CBJ fans would have agreed with me a few months ago that they did not expect that start to his season.
I still don't think his defensive game is good enough and we will see if he can keep up the offensive production.

I don't want to pick him apart too much. He clearly has been impressive. Really did not think he had that level of play in him.

He probably is off the table now. But again. Not really all that worried about it. Avs always needed Bjorkstrand more than Milano IMO..

Now that you have Milano, you can just give us the Murray + Bjorkstrand + 1st deal, we have been asking for in here...

And yeah I know that Murray looks good right now as well.

But its not like Duchene has started off badly...

He has probably been the best player for the Avs as well while carrying a line of Yakupov (known "bust" + Kerfoot (college UFA)) to success looking every bit like the player he used to be before it all fell apart for him and the Avs last season if not better.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Now that you have Milano, you can just give us the Murray + Bjorkstrand + 1st deal, we have been asking for in here...

And yeah I know that Murray looks good right now as well.

But its not like Duchene has started off badly...

He has probably been the best player for the Avs as well while carrying a line of Yakupov (known "bust" + Kerfoot (college UFA)) to success looking every bit like the player he used to be before it all fell apart for him and the Avs last season if not better.

Thank you for the explanation. Tortorella's only criticism of Milano to date is that on one or two occasions, he tried to make a great play instead of the sure, safe play.
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20171010/blue-jackets--sonny-milanos-hard-work-draws-praise

"Whenever he was asked throughout the preseason about the progress of his younger players, Blue Jackets coach John Tortorella would inevitably steer the conversation toward one in particular. When asked why he was constantly singled out, rookie Sonny Milano offered a shrug..."

"...I think I just did what they wanted me to do, which was over the summer train hard and get stronger, work on my shot and also during the games in preseason work on my defensive play, stopping and starting and making smart plays instead of always trying to make the fancy play or the play that’s going to score a goal...”

...Tortorella was positive on Milano’s impact, but again stressed the need to make the simple play instead of always trying to make a spectacular one.
“I told Sonny when he overpassed on one play, ‘You can score another one,’ ” he said.

I have posted a number of times that I don't want Columbus to trade for Duchene, but it's because I don't want them to give up Murray or Carlsson. I think Murray is a really important part of Columbus's defense.

I honestly hope the Avs either turn the Duchene situation around and keep him, or make a trade that improves their overall roster and especially their depth. I'd love to see them make a deal with a team with a STOCKED prospect pool like the Lightning, Devils or Flyers and get a 1st plus a couple of good NHL ready prospects.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
If this is true, rival GMs should just start offering Sakic their underperforming players. Seems like there's some voodoo magic going on that causes them to turn it around once Sakic rejects the deal. I am guessing Virtanen was offered to Sakic at one point too....
There's an obvious joke to be made there that I'm kind of inclined to avoid because there's no need to pile on Avs fans. But still. Wow.

Amusingly, Duchene evidently hasn't been exempt from this phenomenon either, judging by his point totals and reports from fans here. Given that Zadorov was sometimes bundled in the really big packages, I wonder how he's doing? :D

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
There's an obvious joke to be made there that I'm kind of inclined to avoid because there's no need to pile on Avs fans. But still. Wow.

Amusingly, Duchene evidently hasn't been exempt from this phenomenon either, judging by his point totals and reports from fans here. Given that Zadorov was sometimes bundled in the really big packages, I wonder how he's doing? :D

Doesn't seem to have worked very well for Galchenyuk and he was in almost as many Duchene proposals as Duchene himself.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
I predict Duchene will just re-sign with the Avs.
Not saying this is impossible, but given the current (rumored) level of discontent I don't think it happens before the end of next year, and then I think it's more likely he signs with NSH.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Upping that value tonight isn't he? haha. Sakic should just never have put him on the block. He's fine where he is.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Duchene has such good chemistry with Yakupov and Kerfoot that I almost don't want to trade him at this point. We have 3 solid forward lines for the first time in a long time, with a 4th line that is overpaid but respectable.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's not going to get traded. Good on Sakic for not listening to the "experts" who wanted him to sell for pennies on the dollar.

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Duchene has such good chemistry with Yakupov and Kerfoot that I almost don't want to trade him at this point. We have 3 solid forward lines for the first time in a long time, with a 4th line that is overpaid but respectable.
I'm honestly very happy for Avs fans, and also for Yakupov! Great to see him find success! I do think Duchene should stay - the Avs are looking good.

pockets

Thank you, Bill!
Aug 12, 2003
Green Mountain
Agree. I'm cautiously optimistic with the way the Avs have opened this season and as long as they keep it up then I don't mind keeping Duchene.

Heinekinz

Oct 11, 2017
I could see the Habs pushing for Duchene if they continue to slump.

Bergevin is definitely in the hot seat and he might try to bring some added offence.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I said this before, but in hindsight it would be basically trading Duchene + Yakupov for whatever package we'd get, because I don't think Yakupov would be finding his game or have the same chemistry with any of our other possible centers of Soderberg, Compher, or Jost.

Obviously in hindsight a Fiala + Girard + 1st package looks great, but I don't think that was ever on the table. Murray + Milano + 1st looks great too, but again it's more like trading away Yakupov and Duchene for that package.

There is still plenty of hockey to be played, but if Duchene stays around and Yakupov keeps up his play, he'd be the leading candidate on the Avs to break 30 goals.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Well I don't believe it for a second...

But I will remember his name. If it really happens, major credit to him.

If not he will just get put on the list of media people spewing garbage like usual...

Turris does not make any sense for the Avs unless it is a three way deal...

I will add too that the condition of this trade that Turris needs to agree to extension before or there's no trade. And Lajoie (D prospect) could be add to the trade but he's less sure about that part.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, i watched Duchene defensive play on that Marchand goal and it was hillarious.
He released on Marchand to get the trailing player because Barrie Told him to.

Then Barrie kinda left him all the space for some reason.

Reactions: motojime

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Am I crazy to have a gut feeling he'll just end up staying in Colorado and resigning? Maybe its the Avs good start that has the optimistic winds blowing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->