Speculation: Matt Duchene Thread Part... Just get a trade done already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If Duchene continues to play as he has through pre season and the first 3 games of the regular season somebody will pay up. We just have to hope Sakic doesn't go super delusional and INCREASE the asking price because of Duchene's game.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I like how Avs fans are holding Galchenyuk's performance against him while not doing the same for Duchene's last few seasons. Funny. Out of touch, some of you. It's like Sakic is the blind, leading the blind.

There is a huge difference there that you like to ignore...

Duchene has a track record that Galchenyuk can not even compare to..

He had one really bad season where he still was on pace for 55+ before the Avs went down the drain and he clearly checked out because of the trade rumors...
He is still a 26 year old former face of a franchise who over his career has averaged close to 60 points per season with a very length Team Canada pedigree who in the worst season of his career still was one if not the best faceoff man in the league.

Galchenyuk has one 30 goal season at center (Duchene scored 30 that year as well by the way...). Now MTL (multiple coaches and recently their GM) is telling everyone and their mother that this guy is not a center. Not even on the team with the worst center depth in the league.
Thats a bit of a red flag. Especially given how awful he has looked on the wing IMO...

Also there is a huge difference between Duchene and Galchenyuk.
Duchene is not a liability if he is not producing. He is still decent defensively and a faceoff god...

Galchenyuk is not really comparable to him if we are talking about the other aspects of the game aside from offense.

If I would believe that Galchenyuk could bounce back at center for the Avs, I would be more willing to entertain this. But I somewhat doubt that and I don't think MacKinnon / Galchenyuk down the middle would hold up in the West.

So yeah...

Not really comparable...

Especially given that Duchene is having one hell of a start to the season...

Reactions: ClydeLee

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
Did anyone watch Sam Girard in the Preds/Flyers game last night? They have 8 more games they can use him w/out burning an entry year of eligibility and have to believe they are showcasing him for Sakic. Girard did not look at all out of place for a 19 year old, save one or two plays and skates a lot like Ryan Ellis. He is highly skilled LHD with years of cost certainty and seems to me to fit one of Sakic's big wants on Duchesne. I would hate to lose him as he appears to be a keeper that Poile always manages to find; but with Ellis due back in January, Girard would seem to be the odd man out unless an injury happens to Josi, Ekholm, or Subban in the next 8 games... I know he wants one of the big 4 from us; but this prospect just seems like a win-win for both teams in a trade.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Did anyone watch Sam Girard in the Preds/Flyers game last night? They have 8 more games they can use him w/out burning an entry year of eligibility and have to believe they are showcasing him for Sakic. Girard did not look at all out of place for a 19 year old, save one or two plays and skates a lot like Ryan Ellis. He is highly skilled LHD with years of cost certainty and seems to me to fit one of Sakic's big wants on Duchesne. I would hate to lose him as he appears to be a keeper that Poile always manages to find; but with Ellis due back in January, Girard would seem to be the odd man out unless an injury happens to Josi, Ekholm, or Subban in the next 8 games... I know he wants one of the big 4 from us; but this prospect just seems like a win-win for both teams in a trade.

I would be very interested but you probably won't like the adds that I would want to him. At all...

I really like his game but still am concerned about his size .
Avs already have Barrie and Makar who are not exactly huge so that is a bit of an issue.

I mean Duchene to NSH is basically the most logical fit.
I don't think Poile is worried about not being able to re-sign Duchene if he wants to and I think everyone knows that Duchene would love getting traded there and you guys are all-in...

And that seems to be the holdup for all these other teams for now. So in theory Poile should be the most willing to come close to Sakics asking price.

The problem is that Sakic will probably insist on Ekholm+ instead of Girard given that he has gotten burned by a young, unproven D before in the ROR deal (Zads looks very solid right now but it took him 2 years to do so).

Tolvanen having that amazing start does not help in that regard :D.

Avs aside from defense need more goalscoring. He would have made sense as the prospect added but I doubt Poile would move him for Duchene given his start if Girard is going the Avs way as well.

But that is probably what would have to happen..

The fit is clearly there but I am not sure there is a deal that both GMs can live with. Especially given that it is an in divison deal...

I mean what could the Preds add to Girard to make it work?
We don't really have a need for Fabbro and your 1st round pick with Duchene will probably be in the thirties or at least very late 20s...

Reactions: SavageSteve

SavageSteve

Mar 28, 2008
Nashville, TN
I would be very interested but you probably won't like the adds that I would want to him. At all...

Avs already have Barrie and Makar who are not exactly huge so that is a bit of an issue.

I don't think Poile is worried about not being able to re-sign Duchene if he wants to and I think everyone knows that Duchene would love getting traded there and you guys are all-in...

And that seems to be the holdup for all these other teams for now. So in theory Poile should be the most willing to come close to Sakics asking price.

The problem is that Sakic will probably insist on Ekholm+ instead of Girard given that he has gotten burned by a young, unproven D before in the ROR deal (Zads looks very solid right now but it took him 2 years to do so).

Avs aside from defense need more goalscoring. He would have made sense as the prospect added but I doubt Poile would move him for Duchene given his start if Girard is going the Avs way as well.

The fit is clearly there but I am not sure there is a deal that both GMs can live with. Especially given that it is an in divison deal...

We don't really have a need for Fabbro and your 1st round pick with Duchene will probably be in the thirties or at least very late 20s...

Yeah I see Tolvanen as a non-starter unless it's a bigger add, for now. Ekholm too honestly.

I had size concerns with Ellis early on too and when I saw him flip Wayne Simmonds in 2012 on an open-ice check, I knew he was going to be solid.

If Girard plays out of his mind, I am left to wonder if Ellis might become available? He is the first of the big four D to have his contract expire and will be due a huge raise from $2.5M. I would absolutely HATE losing him; but if Girard fills that role....

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Yeah I see Tolvanen as a non-starter unless it's a bigger add, for now. Ekholm too honestly.

I had size concerns with Ellis early on too and when I saw him flip Wayne Simmonds in 2012 on an open-ice check, I knew he was going to be solid.

If Girard plays out of his mind, I am left to wonder if Ellis might become available? He is the first of the big four D to have his contract expire and will be due a huge raise from $2.5M. I would absolutely HATE losing him; but if Girard fills that role....

Problem I have with Ellis is that he is right- handed...

Avs have Barrie, EJ, Makar, Meloche and timmins on the right side.

Basically their 2 best Dmen and three best D prospects are all RDs...

Also Ellis being an UFA in 2 years would be a huge problem as well.
Avs are not exactly ready to contend and I am not sure that he would be happy going from a contender to the Avs and then turn around and sign a decent extension 12 months from now.
Add his injury and it really does not make much sense.

Avs really need LHDs...
And preferably guys over 6ft.

Thats why a deal around Fabbro does not make much sense, either...

It probably will have to be something around Ekholm or Girard and a huge plus that will really hurt (Tolvanen).

Don't think the Avs will make a deal otherwise and that is probably also why it hasn't happened even though there is clearly interest to make it happen.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Galchenyuk will be traded and for someone no one is expecting . There's to much buzz about Duchene for any of it to be true

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Galchenyuk will be traded and for someone no one is expecting . There's to much buzz about Duchene for any of it to be true

There is basically no buzz about Galchenyuk getting traded for Duchene. outside of hfboards..

Dreger just said that Duchene to MTL is not going to happen...

I could see Galchenyuk getting traded for a decent LHD...

Only name I can think of is Theodore from Vegas given how well they have started without him but honestly I don't see that either...

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
There is basically no buzz about Galchenyuk getting traded for Duchene. outside of hfboards..

Only name I can think of is Theodore from Vegas given how well they have started without him but honestly I don't see that either...
Great like I said there was to much talk for it to be true . The sport networks here haven't stopped talking about it for months until now . Galchenyuk doesn't have the confidence of the coaching staff and with Julien having 5 years remaining

Great like I said there was to much talk about Duchene for it to be true Its all they talked about for months until now . The media know it was a made up rumor because the probably saw Sakic talking to Bergevin about something they assumed was a trade. when the truth is they were probably talking about the weather Galchenyuk has lost the confidence of the coaching staff and with Julien having 5 years remaining Galchenyuk will be traded for someone no one is expecting

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

He's a good defenceman for sure . He might be so good Vegas may never trade him

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Imagine if Sakic had been able to pull off a Fiala + Girard + 1st deal at last year's trade deadline, it won't happen now unfortunately.

I laugh when I see the Galchenyuk offer lol, there are a dozen other centres I'd trade Duchene for if he's moving for a centre before Galchenyuk. I can't believe they used Sergachev to get a winger when they were in win-now mode and had an obvious problem at centre.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!

In today's NHL, with everything on the backend geared towards possession and transition, I'm not sure if it's necessary to have that much size any more. Besides, strength and stick work are far more important anyway. I've seen plenty of 6'4" defenders who couldn't outmuscle anyone.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Meanwhile, the Murray+Milano package can now be added to the "should have taken it while you had the chance" list. The way those two are playing, there's no way we're trading them.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Meanwhile, the Murray+Milano package can now be added to the "should have taken it while you had the chance" list. The way those two are playing, there's no way we're trading them.

I am perfectly fine with that.

I mean its not like Duchene has been bad and is bleeding value by the minute...

And while Milano certainly has surprised me so far its not like he did not also show the things that I was concerned with.

If not for the Canes terrible execution of a 3 on 1 in OT, he would have gone from hero to idiot in a short time span for completely losing his assignment there.

But yeah. He is riding high right now and thats why his mishap basically put him into the position for that breakaway that otherwise wouldn't have happened...
We will see if he can keep it up...

Murray looks pretty good but the concern with him were always his injuries more than anything.
Still don't see the top end potential with him.

Also Chris Bigras has looked pretty good for the Avs at LHD as well to start the season and he plays a somewhat similar game.

So yeah...

Honestly not too sad about it at all...

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

If this is true, rival GMs should just start offering Sakic their underperforming players. Seems like there's some voodoo magic going on that causes them to turn it around once Sakic rejects the deal. I am guessing Virtanen was offered to Sakic at one point too....

Reactions: Viqsi

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Radio host in Montreal, JC Lajoie, saying that a Duchene deal will happen in a couple of hours/days and that Ottawa took the lead and Turris will be involved in the deal. Don't shoot the messenger....or shoot...whatever pleases you.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Radio host in Montreal, JC Lajoie, saying that a Duchene deal will happen in a couple of hours/days and that Ottawa took the lead and Turris will be involved in the deal. Don't shoot the messenger....or shoot...whatever pleases you.
That pretty much goes against everything we've heard for the past year+ about what Sakic wants.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

Well I don't believe it for a second...

But I will remember his name. If it really happens, major credit to him.

If not he will just get put on the list of media people spewing garbage like usual...

Turris does not make any sense for the Avs unless it is a three way deal...

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Well I don't believe it for a second...

But I will remember his name. If it really happens, major credit to him.

If not he will just get put on the list of media people spewing garbage like usual...

Turris does not make any sense for the Avs unless it is a three way deal...
Or unless chabot is in there too.

But we know that's not happening.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Same with the Maatta+ packages. Maatta is playing amazing right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad