Speculation: Matt Duchene Mega-Megathread | Volume IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Nobody is ever in the market for a "LHC". They don't care what hand they shoot. This isn't a defenseman. When you say things like "LHC" it shows your lack of knowledge of the situation. If you want to pretend you're involved in informal decisions with the Senators that's fine but we'll quickly learn that you're full of **** when you say things like the Senators were looking for a LHC. They needed a 1C and last summer Duchene was considered a top 20C in the NHL. He was much more highly regarded than Brassard and Zibby.

Not to go off on too much of a tangent, but the Sens were absolutely 100% looking for a left handed center for their top-nine. They had Turris, Zib and Pageau who were all RH shots, which caused some faceoff problems. It's not the "be all end all" by any means, just thought it was funny to call someone out on not knowing what they're talking about when you're off base about these comments.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'll never understand why a single tournament is enough to convince some people. Chabot took the next step last season, and looked like a world beater for sure at the WJC, but he was playing against teenagers. The guy hasn't even qualified for an NHL roster yet, and the strong implication is that he's worth endless amounts more than an established 1st line player and Olympic veteran who had an off year.

Purely in a vacuum, I don't want Chabot for Duchene. I know most other Avs fans salivate at the thought, but **** the hype - plenty of guys like him turn into nothing at the NHL level.

As an Ottawa fan, I actually completely agree with you. Think about how many hyped d-men top prospects there have been over the years only for a lot of them to turn into medicore/nothing players. My favourite example is Travis Sanheim who was supposed to be the next elite defender. While I expect him to still have an NHL career (and perhaps a good one as a top 4 defender), he's probably will not live up to the franchise player label that was put on him.

I would not trade Chabot straight up for Duchene because I believe he will end up a better player, but I could understand someone not wanting to deal Duchene for a guy who hasn't played even a quarter of an NHL season.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I'll never understand why a single tournament is enough to convince some people. Chabot took the next step last season, and looked like a world beater for sure at the WJC, but he was playing against teenagers. The guy hasn't even qualified for an NHL roster yet, and the strong implication is that he's worth endless amounts more than an established 1st line player and Olympic veteran who had an off year.

Purely in a vacuum, I don't want Chabot for Duchene. I know most other Avs fans salivate at the thought, but **** the hype - plenty of guys like him turn into nothing at the NHL level.

Look the list of players named top defenceman at the World Juniors in the past decade. Then look at the list of players named MVP at the tournament. How many of those players would you trade for Duchene? More than you wouldn't trade for, I suspect.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
As an Ottawa fan, I actually completely agree with you. Think about how many hyped d-men top prospects there have been over the years only for a lot of them to turn into medicore/nothing players. My favourite example is Travis Sanheim who was supposed to be the next elite defender. While I expect him to still have an NHL career (and perhaps a good one as a top 4 defender), he's probably will not live up to the franchise player label that was put on him.

I would not trade Chabot straight up for Duchene because I believe he will end up a better player, but I could understand someone not wanting to deal Duchene for a guy who hasn't played even a quarter of an NHL season.

When was Sanheim billed as a franchise player? I dont even think the homerest of Flyers homers would agree with that. Top 4 with top pair upside if he could put together a decent defenseive game (which he showed at the AHL level last year, but probably could use another year). I cant recall him ever being billed as a franchise level talent though.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I've certainly had my fair share of Chabot viewings over his junior career, but yes I would be one who heard that HF rumor and listened to it. My bad.
by the time training camp came last year, they were super thrilled with him, and even gave him a contract as a present before sending him back to Saint John

nvm i'm getting years mixed up. Aside from those comments a year back, they've always been happy with him

Last edited:

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

If you think all the hype around Chabot is based off a single tournament I'm not sure what to tell you.

I get the general idea you're trying to imply, but this guy has been amazing every time he's touched the ice for the last year and a half. Between Memorial Cup runs, QMJHL Playoff MVP, QMJHL Defencemen of the year, ect. This is more than just a flash in the pan. The Avs will not pick up a single piece with as much upside in any Duchene deal.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think he goes to an eastern team that's struggling to meet expectations (that's not deep at forward) near the deadline.

Whether that's Ottawa, Montreal, Caroline, Columbus, etc. I think one of those teams bites and pays a high price to try to steady their ships.

And I think whoever does it will have it backfire on them, just a personal opinion & gut feeling.

Privet

Sep 25, 2015
Victoria, BC
Interesting how long this has dragged for... I honestly don't think Duchene is worth what everyone has been hyping him up to be.... with that being said, I would love to see him in a CBJ uniform.

jferguson

Jun 6, 2012
Calgary AB
Would love to have him in Anaheim with Kesler out for a few months....dont know that we have the cap space to make it work.

Vatanen is a starting point.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Would love to have him in Anaheim with Kesler out for a few months....dont know that we have the cap space to make it work.

vatanen as the starting point is essentially the problem with a Duchene deal.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Sounds like a great fit for only one team...The Ducks could use a dynamic, offensively creative forward, and with Kesler's injury and concerns about Getzlaf being overplayed and exhausted come playoffs Duchene would probably be a great add for them.

But Vatanen is not what the Avs need. He's stylistically loosely similiar to Barrie, he's right handed, he's the same age as Barrie, and he has 3 years left on his contract to boot, just like Barrie. In other words, the Avs already have a Sami Vatanen (one I prefer incidentally). Much rather take Murray+, with a shot at Murray solidifying himself as a good second pairing defender, than Vatanen. There've been Avs fans who have already suggested that within the next ~2 years Barrie will probably / potentially be moved, due to 1) questions about whether the Avs want to be the team to cough up on his next contract, and 2) very relevant to point 1, the potential ascension of Makar and Meloche / Timmins in the pipeline. Vatanen would pretty much only guarantee that within 2 years time one of Barrie / Vatanen would have to be traded, due to pressures on the right side of the D and not wanting to pay for two similiar players (and Makar might make a third). I don't think you trade Duchene for a centrepiece you know will result in that centrepiece (or his equivalent, Barrie), being let walk / traded within the relatively near future.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Sounds like a great fit for only one team...The Ducks could use a dynamic, offensively creative forward, and with Kesler's injury and concerns about Getzlaf being overplayed and exhausted come playoffs Duchene would probably be a great add for them.

But Vatanen is not what the Avs need. He's stylistically loosely similiar to Barrie, he's right handed, he's the same age as Barrie, and he has 3 years left on his contract to boot, just like Barrie. In other words, the Avs already have a Sami Vatanen (one I prefer incidentally). Much rather take Murray+, with a shot at Murray solidifying himself as a good second pairing defender, than Vatanen. There've been Avs fans who have already suggested that within the next ~2 years Barrie will probably / potentially be moved, due to 1) questions about whether the Avs want to be the team to cough up on his next contract, and 2) very relevant to point 1, the potential ascension of Makar and Meloche / Timmins in the pipeline. Vatanen would pretty much only guarantee that within 2 years time one of Barrie / Vatanen would have to be traded, due to pressures on the right side of the D and not wanting to pay for two similiar players (and Makar might make a third). I don't think you trade Duchene for a centrepiece you know will result in that centrepiece (or his equivalent, Barrie), being let walk / traded within the relatively near future.

Not that i disagree that Vats isn't a great fit but about all he has similar with Barrie is size and which side he shoots. Vatanan is amuch more complete player. He is mis labeled as a offense only RSD.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If you think all the hype around Chabot is based off a single tournament I'm not sure what to tell you.

I get the general idea you're trying to imply, but this guy has been amazing every time he's touched the ice for the last year and a half. Between Memorial Cup runs, QMJHL Playoff MVP, QMJHL Defencemen of the year, ect. This is more than just a flash in the pan. The Avs will not pick up a single piece with as much upside in any Duchene deal.

I like Thomas Chabot a lot and I don't believe his story ends the same way but 5 years ago, Phoenix Coyotes fans felt the same way about Brendan Gormley.

Gormley was a high pick and also won best d-man at the WJC. He was projected to be a top-5 pick who slipped in the draft and looked to be a sure-fire NHLer. It just goes to show that until a prospect plays in the NHL and not only proves he belongs but proves he can excel at that level, he's still just a prospect.

So from an Avs perspective, they wouldn't want to give up Duchene for a prospect who is as unproven as Chabot if he's the only piece in the deal because it's possible even if perhaps unlikely that they could end up with nothing for a player as proven as Duchene is.

From a Senators point of view, they wouldn't give up a prospect who flags the way Chabot has for the past year and a half because there's a very good chance that he's going to be a Senator for the next 10 years if his transition to the pros goes as smoothly as expected. They would keep that guy and that's the right thing to do.

So there really is no deal to be made between the two clubs for those reasons.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Dreger on potential Columbus trade scenario

“I still hear rumblings of the Columbus Blue Jackets being as likely as any team, and I know that there are still a few teams that are keenly interested in Matt Duchene. But when I look at some of the goings on in Columbus, it does make some sense. You’ve got Ryan Murray there, who – he hasn’t been able to stay healthy with the Blue Jackets. Because of that, maybe there’s – I don’t know – it’s just a sense that there’s time for change. You’ve got Josh Anderson there, who I think is a real good young player – he can’t seem to lure the Blue Jackets into a real good contract negotiation, something that they’re both satisfied with.”

“Well there’s two elements that could be part of a trade scenario,” chuckled Dreger, “And maybe Jarmo Kekalainen can kick in another piece or two and get this thing settled.

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-and-lebrun-scan-duchene-trade-landscape/

I've mentioned it on here several times but I think the Josh Anderson possibility is real. Bednar is completely infactuated with him and Macfarland was the assistant GM that drafted him and was also the GM of Springfield during his rookie year in the A.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Anderson + + for Duchene could make sense.

As a fan of a Metro team, I hope like hell CBJ doesnt land Duchene.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Dreger on potential Columbus trade scenario

https://www.fanragsports.com/dreger-and-lebrun-scan-duchene-trade-landscape/

I've mentioned it on here several times but I think the Josh Anderson possibility is real. Bednar is completely infactuated with him and Macfarland was the assistant GM that drafted him and was also the GM of Springfield during his rookie year in the A.

Yeah, we need ALL of the Josh Andersons!
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=247061

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
This entire Duchene saga is really sad. Duchene was the happiest man in the world to play for his childhood favorite team.

Sakic should be ashamed of himself. Whatever respect he had as a player I think is now lost as a terrible, and seemingly heartless, GM (I know he has next to no respect with a few GMs - as he's been toying around with them just as he has with Duchene). What a ****ing disgrace of a person.

I honestly feel for Avs fans. It's very disheartening & a terrible chapter in an otherwise storied franchise.

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017
This entire Duchene saga is really sad. Duchene was the happiest man in the world to play for his childhood favorite team.

Sakic should be ashamed of himself. Whatever respect he had as a player I think is now lost as a terrible, and seemingly heartless, GM (I know he has next to no respect with a few GMs - as he's been toying around with them just as he has with Duchene). What a ****ing disgrace of a person.

I honestly feel for Avs fans. It's very disheartening & a terrible chapter in an otherwise storied franchise.

Until somebody can give specifics to what other GMs offered for Duchene I don't buy that "Joe has been toying around with them". Duchene sure, but not other GMs.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose

lol

Vantanen is the only Defenseman worth a damn on the Ducks. You're better off keeping him over Duchene.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Could you please expand on the bolded? The closest thing I can think of to what you are saying was some speculation that some GMs might feel that he moved the goalposts because of the difference in his asks between teams.

Are you being serious? Ever heard of Lindholm or Fowler...

That Manson fella ain't to shabby either...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->