Matt D'Agostini

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
As a Habs fan it may look like a homer thread but I'd really like to have opinions on D'Agostini, especially from people that had the chance to see him play often in Hamilton this year.

Personally, I saw him every day at the developpement camp (6 days) last summer. I'm very, very high on him since then, he first seemed to be a Chris Higgins clone because of some physical similarities, and when the puck dropped he had a similar style of play, playing smartly, nicely positionned, responsible defensively, hard-worker, excellent skater and above-average offensive instincts.

Another impressive fact about him is that he only played two OHL seasons before turning pro and he did not have any problems adapting to the next level. He just turned 20 in late october and already has a significant impact in the Bulldogs. His 15 games injury didn't seem to slowed him down at all, at least statistically. To my knowledge, since his excellent playoffs last year with the Guelph Storm, he always kept the same pace. By the way, does anyone know why he played his first OHL season at 18?

We often hear on HF that numbers doesn't tell the whole story and that scouting's purposes are to study closely players to see if they have the necessary tools to translate their game to the next level; well I think D'Agostini is a perfect example of great scouting. IMO he won't have difficulties adapting to the NHL, and that may happen sooner than later, if he really is as good as I saw him at the developement camp then I could see him cracking the Canadiens roster as soon as next year. He is exactly what Gainey, Carbo, Muller and Jarvis are looking for in a player.

Y prêche par l'exemple, sti. :teach:

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Another impressive fact about him is that he only played two OHL seasons before turning pro and he did not have any problems adapting to the next level. He just turned 20 in late october and already has a significant impact in the Bulldogs. His 15 games injury didn't seem to slowed him down at all, at least statistically. To my knowledge, since his excellent playoffs last year with the Guelph Storm, he always kept the same pace. By the way, does anyone know why he played his first OHL season at 18?

He went undrafted in the OHL draft, was a walkon with Guelph.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005

It was pretty impressive. He just showed up and started producing. No one knew who he was and most couldn't even pronounce his name. He really came into his own in that second year and the playoffs. Had he been returned for an OA year he'd be one of the league scoring leaders this year.

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec

Surprising nonetheless...

I wish I had that talent, I was really bad when I started to play hockey! Was it Patrice Bergeron that had a similar story, starting playing hockey somewhere near Midget AA, late pick in the Q, played only one year and graduated directly to the NHL the next year? Something like that...

kostybros

Oct 28, 2005
Qc city
Surprising nonetheless...

I wish I had that talent, I was really bad when I started to play hockey! Was it Patrice Bergeron that had a similar story, starting playing hockey somewhere near Midget AA, late pick in the Q, played only one year and graduated directly to the NHL the next year? Something like that...

Bergeron played 1 year of midget AAA, 1 year of QMJHL, 1 year of NHL an then 1 year of AHL(lock out) so he played 4 leagues in 4 years and he did pretty IMO...

gerhart

Aug 4, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
www.myspace.com
I played hockey against Matt D'Agostini about five years ago. Mostly, I played against his brother (who is a year older), though. I haven't seen him play recently, but he was always a shifty player, great with the puck and played positional hockey very well. He's a good kid, too. It's great to hear that he's making a push for himself.

On a somewhat related note, I witnessed him break his leg playing baseball back when I was about 12 or 13. I was on his team at the time and it was one of the most disgusting things I have ever witnessed. He was running to second base and slid feet first, only to have his legs get tangled with the short stop. You could hear the snap all the way on the bench.

Yay for useless information!

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
To me whether we sign Johnson for another year or D'Agostini graduates. He must play to deserve his spot at training camp, however.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Me too, and that's exactly the spot I could see him cracking next year. 3rd line winger, could also play on the 4th.

Highly unlikely that he would make the jump next year, he's got to get stronger first imo. He's a smart player, knows where to be on the ice and what to do with the puck.

pc_md

Jun 3, 2006
Next year is a bit early IMO. Only two seasons in the OHL and only one in the AHL : another year to learn (and gain upper body strenght) wouldn't hurt... Maybe he could be recalled in case of injury next year like Lapierre or Ferland the year before...

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
To me whether we sign Johnson for another year or D'Agostini graduates. He must play to deserve his spot at training camp, however.

he wont be there next year guaranteed, regardless if we re sign Johnson or not, he wont be in the NHL next year, he needs more time in the AHL

emb24*

i think habs are done with rookies for next year. as it is 'maybe' halak, grabovski and o'byrne/emelin/a d prospect make it...

right now of the habs top 6, (aside from koivu) the avg age is like 23 or something

ryder 25
higgins 23
plekanecs 24
kostitsyn 22
latendresse 19

throw in lapierre 21,on 3rd line (murray 24 on 4th) ..and habs need to find some grit and vets

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
the habs may become on of the youngest team next year, its crazy how many young guys are there. every year 1, 2 or 3 players are emerging.

CH Wizard

Four goals including the game winner in OT for D'Agostini tonight!

Yeah he's on fire, I knew he had potential to be a top 6 forward. He looks like a future third liner but he could impress...weren't we saying the same about Higgins? I'll get to see him today btw.:)

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
wow 42 pts in 49 games as one of the youngest players in the league with excellent awareness on both sides of the ice. Looks like a keeper to me. Hopefully, he won't Voleshenko it next season. He feels a LOt like our very own Pleks except he isn't a center.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
wow 42 pts in 49 games as one of the youngest players in the league with excellent awareness on both sides of the ice. Looks like a keeper to me. Hopefully, he won't Voleshenko it next season. He feels a LOt like our very own Pleks except he isn't a center.

I think he is another Chris Higgins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad