Matt Carle vs Mathieu Carle

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSK*

Both young defencemen, Matt is born september 25 1984, drafted second round #47 overall. 6 feet tall and 190 pounds. He did great 12 games that year in San Jose. I except a great career for him. In playoff in did not so bad, he made some mistake in the second round, but he was nice to see.

Mathieu Carle a little bit younger, born in september 30, in 1987. Drafted in second round #53 overall. So he's 18 but not for long. 6'00 feet tall and 210 pounds, he got great offensive upside for this age, put 69 points in 67 games at Bathurst.

I know they're not at the same level, but they got nearly the same name, both defencemen, and they are similar on body built, both was drafted in second round.

At this point Matt Carle is better IMO, he prove's he can play at NHL level, and did nice play.

Who you think who gonna get more sucess ?

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Bingo. Mathieu, as of now, is not an NHL caliber prospect.

Uhhh! Mathieu not an NHL caliber prospect? Based on what? Are you one of those who think he's fat, slow, weak and bad defensively? Because, that was some of the things I have read about him here, but it all seems to be false. Trevor Timmins tested the guy at the bell centre for foot speed and he has a very quick feet and he's very agile. Also, he's stocky but lean and strong, and he's very very skilled and his got a real QB vision. Oh and what we heard about his work ethic was wrong too. We saw the guy at the habs mini-camp and we got the chance to see that what we have read here was wrong.

At this point Matt Carle is an NHLer, and that makes him the clear cut winner. But Matthieu is an NHL caliber prospect and he might turn into an even better player than Matt down the road, but we can't really predict how he will pan out.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
3rd rounders aren't nhl caliber prospects until they prove us wrong. Look at any draft year, most of them won't make it, and most of those who'll make it will suck.

EDIT: Ok he's a 2nd rounder so let's forget I just wrote that...

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Uhhh! Mathieu not an NHL caliber prospect? Based on what? Are you one of those who think he's fat, slow, weak and bad defensively? Because, that was some of the things I have read about him here, but it all seems to be false. Trevor Timmins tested the guy at the bell centre for foot speed and he has a very quick feet and he's very agile. Also, he's stocky but lean and strong, and he's very very skilled and his got a real QB vision. Oh and what we heard about his work ethic was wrong too. We saw the guy at the habs mini-camp and we got the chance to see that what we have read here was wrong.

At this point Matt Carle is an NHLer, and that makes him the clear cut winner. But Matthieu is an NHL caliber prospect and he might turn into an even better player than Matt down the road, but we can't really predict how he will pan out.

I've never heard he was slow or weak.

He DOES suck at defense and he makes Shawn Belle look like a genius. He's a very, very stupid player and makes some absolute boneheaded plays out there on the ice.

And OH BOY he performed well at a mini-camp.

That there, folks, is the end-all, be-all of a prospect. RIGHT there. He is obviously a sure-fire NHL player now! :sarcasm:

Until he can prove all of his critics wrong, he is not an NHL-worthy player right now and I highly doubt he will be in the future.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec
Bingo. Mathieu, as of now, is not an NHL caliber prospect.

Umm... why would you say that? I don't know if he'll make the NHL or not, but come on, he was only drafted like 2 months ago. Matt Carle is a great prospect but when he was first drafted was everyone going crazy over him? You have to give a guy time before you make a judgment either way.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Based on a number of viewings I presume?

Seen him play a few times. I live in the States so it's certainly hard to get some if any Q games. I was interested in him for a while, though, so I have had a chance to watch some lengthy clips and a few full games of his and he completely failed to impress me in the least.

He's absolutely boneheaded. No way around it. He has some awfully small brain it appears.

Subzero

Jul 28, 2006
Colorado
Matt Carle is a stud. I watched him when he was here at DU. He put up as many points as Paul Stastny and he will hit you like a train. I hate the sharks for taking him, I wanted to see him as an Av.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
I've never heard he was slow or weak.

He DOES suck at defense and he makes Shawn Belle look like a genius. He's a very, very stupid player and makes some absolute boneheaded plays out there on the ice.

And OH BOY he performed well at a mini-camp.

That there, folks, is the end-all, be-all of a prospect. RIGHT there. He is obviously a sure-fire NHL player now! :sarcasm:

Until he can prove all of his critics wrong, he is not an NHL-worthy player right now and I highly doubt he will be in the future.

What the ???? I didn't say he's great because he performed well at our mini-camp. It's just that what we have read here wasn't true. Like his foot speed and bad conditioning. It just happens that he's not fat at all, in fact he's in very good shape and he has good foot speed. Everything I had read on him before the draft just happens to be a load of crap. I hated the pick at first but now that we saw him and heard the management talk about him, I don't feel the same way about the pick... Anyways, who cares about that, we will see one day how he develops. The kid just got drafted.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
ALL players drafted after rd 1 have a 15% chance of making the NHL.

Carle was a 2nd rd pick....therefore...saying his floor is a 7th D is laughable....

He COULD turn into a Rafalski type, but he could also be a career ECHL defensemen. And the odds of the former is quite slim.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
i think that at worst he'l become a 7th defensmen( Patrice Brisebois type) and at best he'l become a Rafalski type.

Rafalski?? He doesn't have the mental smarts or defensive skills to become a Rafalski. Raffy is an extremely, extremely smart player with awesome hockey instincts.

I COULD see him become a servicable defenseman like Brisebois, who I will admit does get **** on moreso than he deserves around here (although I think part of it is just for comedy).

Sammy*

ALL players drafted after rd 1 have a 15% chance of making the NHL.

Carle was a 2nd rd pick....therefore...saying his floor is a 7th D is laughable....

He COULD turn into a Rafalski type, but he could also be a career ECHL defensemen. And the odds of the former is quite slim.

Exactly. His chance of ever playing making the NHL is very, very slim. And his chances of been a Rafalski is about 1%.

TheHoser

Jul 13, 2006
English Quebec
Rafalski?? He doesn't have the mental smarts or defensive skills to become a Rafalski. Raffy is an extremely, extremely smart player with awesome hockey instincts.

I COULD see him become a servicable defenseman like Brisebois, who I will admit does get **** on moreso than he deserves around here (although I think part of it is just for comedy).

He was just drafted. He's 18. How can you say without a shadow of doubt that he will never improve? He may not make the smartest decisions but he has years to work on that, and I see no reason why he can't. I don't see how anyone can say with such certainty that someone has no chance to make the NHL so soon after he was drafted. That's just... well, stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad