Matt Carle-Calder chances?

Randall Graves*

If Malkin stays healthy, there is no one this year that will probably overtake him. Malkin will not only be mentioned with the Calder Trophy, but quite possibly the Selke also.
Last week Staal was a Selke candidate..this week Malkin, whos' it gonna be next week, Michel Oullette?

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know who the other Calder finalists were for the year where Selanne decided he wanted to set a record no other rookie is likely to break?
It was a very good year for rookies with Juneau scoring over 100 points, also players like Eric Lindros and Felix Potvin. The Winnipeg Jets had 4 rookies break the 20 goal mark, Selanne (76), Zhamnov (25), Tkachuk (28), and Evgeny Davydov (28)

TrappedInFullerton

Murray SMASH
Apr 19, 2006
What if Carle leads all Dmen in scoring at the end of the year, and Malkin doesn't lead all Offense in scoring? Would that change anything?

Murph1844

Apr 21, 2006
Carle has a great chance to win. It is not all about points, as you see when Barret Jackman won it a few years back. It all depends on who the better player is, and right now it goes Malkin, Carle, Statsny. Now lets see what the order is when the season is over. So before you idiots say Carle has no chance, you should learn the game and you should learn who is the best player. Know the game before you make comments.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Carle has a great chance to win. It is not all about points, as you see when Barret Jackman won it a few years back. It all depends on who the better player is, and right now it goes Malkin, Carle, Statsny. Now lets see what the order is when the season is over. So before you idiots say Carle has no chance, you should learn the game and you should learn who is the best player. Know the game before you make comments.

Talk respectfully of other posters or don't talk at all.

The simple history of it is, if there is a great offensive rookie, they will win the Calder. Agree with it or not, that's the way it tends to go down. And with Malkin already having his name in the record books, it's going to be darn near impossible to unseat him for rookie of the year.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

How many times has a Barrett Jackman type player won the Calder trophy? Who was his competitition that year? Micheal Ryder? Can you name me a defenseman or goalie that won the Calder when there was a great offensive season for a rookie? If Phaneuf didn't win it last year, with as dominant a year from a rookie defenseman as there has been over the last 30 years - what makes you think that Carle has a "great chance" to win it?

Add in that Carle's play in SJ will likely go under the East coast media radar, whereas Malkin is getting an enourmous amount of hype, and that reduces MC's chances as well.

FACT: Gaudy offensive numbers typically win the Calder. I love Carle, but if Malkin stays healthy, Carle's calder chances are remote. And calling people idiots that don't agree with your biased viewpoint is childish.

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
It's great to see Matt playing so well at the NHL level. Having watched him for the previous three years here in Denver, I knew he was probably ready for a regular shift in the NHL, but did not think he'd be producing so much offensively at this level so soon. Calder is a longshot for him with Malkin playing the way he is, but Carle is opening eyes...

Pure Rock Fury*

The only chance he'll have of winning the Calder is if he leads all defensemen in points at the end of the season, and even then he'll need Malkin and possibly Kopitar to have cooled off considerably.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
The only chance he'll have of winning the Calder is if he leads all defensemen in points at the end of the season, and even then he'll need Malkin and possibly Kopitar to have cooled off considerably.

If Carle leads all defensemen in points....that would be an absolutely phenomonal achievement and worthy of great praise. He would be a Norris candidate, and that's worth a lot. Unless Malkin was also in the running for another trophy, the Calder would definitely have to go to Carle.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Carle leading all defensemen in points won't be enough. The Calder trophy is essentially the Hart trophy for rookies. There is a reason guys like Gonchar, Visnovsky, and Zubov never won the Norris let alone the Hart; they don't dominate games even though they are such offensive talents from the blueline.

Carle is not dominating games. He makes very smart plays but he is not shutting people down or controlling the flow of games, not remotely close to the sort of impact that Malkin has had this season.

In terms of effect on the flow of a game from what I've seen so far this season, I'd vote in this order (keep in mind this is irrespective of points):

1. Malkin
2. Kopitar
3. Stastny
4. Lisin
5. Staal
6. Carle

I think the fact that Carle is on a stacked team like San Jose actually works against him. When he played for Denver he was absolutely dominating games, but he could do that because he was clearly the best player on the ice most of the time. Now he's not even the 3rd best player on his own team and although in the future he may be capable of carrying his team he isn't currently asked to.

icandobetter

Oct 17, 2005
chico
Carle leading all defensemen in points won't be enough. The Calder trophy is essentially the Hart trophy for rookies. There is a reason guys like Gonchar, Visnovsky, and Zubov never won the Norris let alone the Hart; they don't dominate games even though they are such offensive talents from the blueline.

Carle is not dominating games. He makes very smart plays but he is not shutting people down or controlling the flow of games, not remotely close to the sort of impact that Malkin has had this season.

In terms of effect on the flow of a game from what I've seen so far this season, I'd vote in this order (keep in mind this is irrespective of points):

1. Malkin
2. Kopitar
3. Stastny
4. Lisin
5. Staal
6. Carle

I think the fact that Carle is on a stacked team like San Jose actually works against him. When he played for Denver he was absolutely dominating games, but he could do that because he was clearly the best player on the ice most of the time. Now he's not even the 3rd best player on his own team and although in the future he may be capable of carrying his team he isn't currently asked to.

Carle's at 6?? I totally disagree. He is leading all rookie dman in points and top 3 among dman in league. give the credit where its due.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California

1. Malkin
2. Kopitar
3. Stastny
4. Lisin
5. Staal
6. Carle

Although I agree with most of your post, there is no way, barring a monster slump, that Carle will finish behind Lisin, Stastny, or even Staal. Remember Brad Stuart? He finished in 2nd place in 2000 to Scott Gomez.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
I havent watch Carle play at all.

But i'm going to comment on 2 things that have been said in this thread by a (or some) Sharks fans).

1. Matt Carle is currently 5th in ince time on the Sharks defense.
2. Matt Carle is the catalysist of the Sharks PP over Thornton and others.
______

Well, i'm sorry but that isnt going to win you the Calder over this year Crop of rookies, regardless of him getting 70 points this year.

______

It's NOT all about points, especially if you are telling me the kid isnt playing all that much, etc...

You are trying to get the calder over a forward who is playing a LOT, getting a LOT of minutes, playing in all kind of situations, etc...
______

If by the end of the year, Carle is playing 1st D-man minutes in San Jose and has 65-70 pts to boot, than he got a shot.
______

The argument of Malkin probably getting less icetime in San Jose because they are a contender, which would mean less points doesnt hold any (i mean NOT at all). This kid would be playing as much in San Jose right now as he is in Pittsburgh at the very least.

You havent saw him play enough if you think otherwise, it's as clear as water imo.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Carle is scoring at about a point-per-game pace right now. What will he have to do to win the ROTY trophy? Since defensemen generally have a very hard time getting it, what kind of stats will he have to put up to win the award?

Is a forward (lets say Malkin) getting 100 points a more remarkable feat than Carle (or any defenseman) getting 70 points?

His best chance is if Malkin gets injured, and hopefully that doesn't happen. He's in the same boat that Chelios (Mario Lemieux) and Phaneuf (Crosby, Ovechkin) were in their rookie years. In most years they would be an easy ROY selection, but when generational offensive talents come around, it's a tough go for a d-man in ROY voting.

Syrinx

Jul 7, 2005
Cary, NC
Carle is a good offensive defenseman (great for a Rookie). He is having a phenomenal year. He may well lead the league for D in scoring with the players around him. He is one of the many reasons this league will be so much fun to watch for many years to come.

Kopitar is so much fun to watch. He is amazingly skilled and makes a lot of great plays. He is another of the many reasons this league will be so much fun to watch for many years to come.

Every time Malkin touches the puck has the potential for spectacular. His one on one (and one on two) skills with the puck are consistently beyond most veterans in the league. His vision and subsequent passing are beyond all but a handful of veterans in the league. He already seems years beyond a rookie on a consistent basis. This is why he will win the Calder if healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->