Matt Carle-Calder chances?

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Probably 70 point season by a defenceman. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but, Brian Leetch is the only rookie d-man to ever hit 70 points. A few have cracked 60. But 70...

While 100 points has been done by: Stastny, Hawerchuk, Selanne, Juneau, Lemieux, Crosby and Ovechkin. So, even though, with the exception of Juneau (Who played on a line with Oates and Neely that year.) the ones retired or nearing retirement are HHoF calibre and the ones who aren't are the face of the new NHL. It's still a more common occurence.

Zubov had 89 points in his first full season, at age 23.

Mr_Jones*

Kopitar is getting first PP time and does have some offensively talented teammates in Dustin Brown, Alexander Frolov, and (in the future) Patrick O'Sullivan.
I can't really speak for the Pens, but Crawford keeps changing the lines and the only reasonably consistent linemate Anze has had is Fro, and he hasn't gotten off to hot start.

While the depth of Cup contenders is obviously better than those teams having rookies play top minutes, Calder candidates get more minutes (on contenders or not) than lesser rookies. In any event, Carle is playing with more talented teammates for the most part.

And I do realize that the Calder is given to rookies and not necessarily the youngest players who have the best season, but it should go into consideration if some players have more years of games and practices under their belts. That's one thing I thought Crosby had going for him last season.

druncan

Mar 8, 2006
the city
And I do realize that the Calder is given to rookies and not necessarily the youngest players who have the best season, but it should go into consideration if some players have more years of games and practices under their belts. That's one thing I thought Crosby had going for him last season.

why?

if an 18-year old is ready to play in the nhl at the same time as a 21-year old, then awesome for him. obviously, the 18-year old's team didn't feel like the lack of "games and practices" would hurt his development, but that shouldn't punish the 21-year old who was brought along slowly by his team. regardless, if the 21-year old has the better year, he deserves the calder, don't you think?

i get what you're saying, but i think as far as the league is concerned, a rookie is a rookie no matter the age.

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Just to show you how rare such a great start (scoring-wise) by a rookie is:

CARLE STAT
San Jose’s Matt Carle leads rookie defensemen with 10 points in 12 games (2 goals, 8 assists) this season. Carle is the first rookie defenseman to reach double-figures in points in October since 1990-91, when the Kings' Rob Blake recorded 14 points in 13 games that month. Besides Blake, the only rookie defensemen to record more than 10 points in October in a single season were the Rangers' Brian Leetch in 1988-89 (13 points) and the Flames' Gary Suter in 1985-86 (11 points).

Source: Sharks news release...

Carle added 2 assists tonight, so he sits in 3rd-Place all-time for rookie-d October-Scoring (what a weird stat :D)...

1.Blake
2.Leetch
3.Carle
4.Suter

Pretty good company...

He won´t win the Calder over Malkin if Malkin stays healthy all year (I am not saying he doesn´t deserve it if Carle keeps his pace, but it´s just not gonna happen). But I don´t care. We have a stud-d-man in our fold, a guy who will be an All-Star for a lot of years to come and I couldn´t care less about a damn trophy ;)

francklem

Mar 8, 2006
foward will always have more vote than D-man for Roy the fan like to see goal .

I think they should create another award for the Roy and make it offensive ROY and Defense ROY

Talent Analyst

Dec 24, 2005
100th years
No reason if he continous like that to be less than the top 3 of the rookie . But if Kopitar and Malkin continous that way , Carle will be number 3 .

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
foward will always have more vote than D-man for Roy the fan like to see goal .

I think they should create another award for the Roy and make it offensive ROY and Defense ROY

i think thats a very good idea. dont they have that in the Q (correct me if im wrong)

back to topic. i think he's chanses are slim, but barret jackman has won it, but i guess there wheren't any malkins or kopitars around that year.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
If Malkin stays healthy, there is no one this year that will probably overtake him. Malkin will not only be mentioned with the Calder Trophy, but quite possibly the Selke also.

icandobetter

Oct 17, 2005
chico
If Malkin stays healthy, there is no one this year that will probably overtake him. Malkin will not only be mentioned with the Calder Trophy, but quite possibly the Selke also.

oh god, Pitts fan is here... didn't you guys said Calder award was sure thing for Crosby last year ??? :dunno:

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Don't make stuff up. Maybe a few idiots said that, but I'm sure there were a few idiots saying that far too early for Ovechkin as well. Just because they ended up being right doesn't make them any less idiotic. Not to mention this has nothing to do with the topic.

I think it would be nearly impossible for a defender to win the ROY this year, especially with some very talented forwards producing well around the league again. Of course, it's not completely impossible, just improbable, at least from what history has shown.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site

I seriously doubt he'll win the Selke. Way too many great defensive forwards in the running. I'd be really angry if he beat Henrik Sedin for it.

I think it would be nearly impossible for a defender to win the ROY this year, especially with some very talented forwards producing well around the league again. Of course, it's not completely impossible, just improbable, at least from what history has shown.

Perfect example is Bure vs Lidstrom. Bure-60 points in 65 games, Lidstrom 60 in 80. Which equals Bure having 74 in 80. 14 points seperate a one dimensional forward and a defenceman, and the forward is the one that wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->