Player Discussion Matt Benning

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Leading up to the All Star break Benning sits at 45gp. 4-6-10 +1 with 76sog. and 76 hits

He catches a lot of flak because when he has a bad game he really has a bad game. He's 23 years old and going to be a RFA after this season.

IMO Benning is a guy that has a good bit of potential dependent on his ability to get stronger and faster. This tire fire of a season could result in us getting a good deal on Benning if we decide that he's worth keeping moving forward. I would be fine with signing him to a 3 year deal for say $1.33 million AAV. What are your thoughts? Keep him and hope that he grows as a payer or move him out in trade for someone a little more polished?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
It's his passing that has me annoyed about his game.

Overall I think Benning has a decent head for the game (most of the time), but he seemingly can't complete a clean pass to a guy in flight (or even standing still...), and it's his big limiting factor on offence.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Leading up to the All Star break Benning sits at 45gp. 4-6-10 +1 with 76sog. and 76 hits

He catches a lot of flak because when he has a bad game he really has a bad game. He's 23 years old and going to be a RFA after this season.

IMO Benning is a guy that has a good bit of potential dependent on his ability to get stronger and faster. This tire fire of a season could result in us getting a good deal on Benning if we decide that he's worth keeping moving forward. I would be fine with signing him to a 3 year deal for say $1.33 million AAV. What are your thoughts? Keep him and hope that he grows as a payer or move him out in trade for someone a little more polished?

At this stage, he reminds me of Staois/Ference at their worst. He has the puck and the moment he sees pressure coming his way, spazzes and turns it over.

Hell, now that I think about it, he turns it over even when there is no pressure.

I have no doubts Chia will sign him given the Boston ties but I hope he doesn't see NHL for a while.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

I move him, not based solely on his play but I don't see him as a top 4D. The 3rd pairing RD should/will be Russell's spot. Nurse, Klefbom, Sekera on the LHS. We desperately need a 2RHD to round out the roster, or better yet a 1RHD to move Larsson down a spot.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Benning is Davidson 2.0 on this team, and I’ve said this multiple times. Much like Davidson fans were all about him after 1 average season and wanted him to high in the lineup. He’s a good number 6-7. And I’d rather have Davidson. We have a plethora of #5-7 guys in our system, I would just pick the cheapest and keep those, paying much over a mil for any of them I wouldn’t bother with term, we have guys like Jones/Bear coming up in the next year or 2 as well, where I’d rather give them a shot then Benning

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At this stage, he reminds me of Staois/Ference at their worst. He has the puck and the moment he sees pressure coming his way, spazzes and turns it over.

Hell, now that I think about it, he turns it over even when there is no pressure.

I have no doubts Chia will sign him given the Boston ties but I hope he doesn't see NHL for a while.

I doubt that he'd clear waivers. I would personally sit him for 4-5 games and see how he does after that.

I move him, not based solely on his play but I don't see him as a top 4D. The 3rd pairing RD should/will be Russell's spot. Nurse, Klefbom, Sekera on the LHS. We desperately need a 2RHD to round out the roster, or better yet a 1RHD to move Larsson down a spot.

I would trade him in a package deal for help on the wings or an improvement on D. That said we can use cheaper options in depth roles so I'd be fine bringing him and Davidson back for ~$1 million.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Too slow. Too clueless. Too many weaknesses.

Horrendous defensive zone IQ. Constantly loses his man, constantly is out of position. Slow as molasses and always beat wide. Easy to knock off the puck. Panics under pressure.

Offensively his shot is a muffin and he doesn't see the ice that well. Can't carry the puck and is even worse at trying to pass it off.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Benning is Davidson 2.0 on this team, and I’ve said this multiple times. Much like Davidson fans were all about him after 1 average season and wanted him to high in the lineup. He’s a good number 6-7. And I’d rather have Davidson. We have a plethora of #5-7 guys in our system, I would just pick the cheapest and keep those, paying much over a mil for any of them I wouldn’t bother with term, we have guys like Jones/Bear coming up in the next year or 2 as well, where I’d rather give them a shot then Benning

I still think Davidson could be a 4/5. Benning is younger though.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I like that he can lay massive hits, but for an average-ish sized guy, it bugs me that he is such a poor skater.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The Oilers foolishly slotted him in as a top 4 D as the season began and completely torched his confidence.

Was he slotted ahead of Larsson or Russell?

Or are you trying to suggest that he switched and played on the left side to take Sekera's spot?

20:00 or more is usually what top 4 Dmen play. We don't have a Suter or Doughty who can play 27-30 minutes. Usually ends up being like this

Top pair = 22-24 minutes
Middle pair = 20-22 minutes
Bottom pair = 15-18 minutes

He's played 20:00 or more 10 times. So roughly 20% of the games. Most of those were when Larsson, our #1 RHD was injured, and also when he was given a shot at the top PP unit. He played less than 16 minutes per game more often than not to start the season. Those are bottom pairing minutes. I know you want to blame Chia for his regression, but the truth is his regression started after his hot start last year.

If you want to blame Chia for signing him as a free agent out of college then go ahead. I'll bet money you weren't doing that last year when he looked like a very good bottom pairing rookie to start the season. If you're upset about him getting less than 2:00 more per game while still being on the bottom pairing then maybe you should look at the coaches who had him on the PP where he didn't look good.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Too slow. Too clueless. Too many weaknesses.

Horrendous defensive zone IQ. Constantly loses his man, constantly is out of position. Slow as molasses and always beat wide. Easy to knock off the puck. Panics under pressure.

Offensively his shot is a muffin and he doesn't see the ice that well. Can't carry the puck and is even worse at trying to pass it off.

This is the biggest problem IMO. How many times does the opposition come at him on a 2 on 1 [which is another problem with Klefdum pinching so often despite clueless offensively] and he just freezes? Like I dont care if he goes on 1 knee, belly flop ala Russell, just do something. He just stands and stares cluelessly.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
It's unfair to blame this guy for anything. He is what he is, a young inconsistent NHL defenceman who is barely being paid anything. It's Chia who expected everybody to automatically improve to fill the Sekera void this year.

Reactions: booyakasha

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
He is very young for a defenceman so I believe he still has time to fill his frame with more muscle. He's one of few defenceman on this team not afraid to grind it up at any given time.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Was he slotted ahead of Larsson or Russell?

Or are you trying to suggest that he switched and played on the left side to take Sekera's spot?

He's played 20:00 or more 10 times. So roughly 20% of the games. Most of those were when Larsson, our #1 RHD was injured. He played less than 16 minutes per game more often than not to start the season. Those are bottom pairing minutes. I know you want to blame Chia for his regression, but the truth is his regression started after his hot start last year.
They put him alongside Klefbom and torched his confidence too. Just braindead all around. Everyone here knew he wasn't ready for more heavy lifting but don't worry, he's our Sekera replacement.

I'm suggesting that Chiarelli stupidly thought he was ready for more minutes and his coach agreed with him. Not surprising to anyone he was a disaster early on.

But that's just the Oilers in a nutshell. Always playing players above their level. Benning was a fine 6/7 and that's exactly where he should've stayed.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He has a lot of compete and in spite of his average size he battles hard and pisses off a lot of opposing players. His skating is average, if it were better he'd create better angles for himself for passing and shooting lanes and also be better defensively in transition situations.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
They put him alongside Klefbom and torched his confidence too. Just braindead all around. Everyone here knew he wasn't ready for more heavy lifting but don't worry, he's our Sekera replacement.

I'm suggesting that Chiarelli stupidly thought he was ready for more minutes and his coach agreed with him. Not surprising to anyone he was a disaster early on.

But that's just the Oilers in a nutshell. Always playing players above their level. Benning was a fine 6/7 and that's exactly where he should've stayed.

I'm suggesting you're dead wrong on this one and you know it. I've shown that he didn't get more minutes. Klefbom was bumped down to play with him, not the other way around.

You keep on insisting that a player who has only played the left side on D was replace by a player who only has ever played the right side on D since coming here.

This is almost as dumb as when you were trying to say that the reason why Eberle's PP minutes were decreased the last two years is because McDavid took them.

Reactions: OilDrop37

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm suggesting you're dead wrong on this one and you know it. I've shown that he didn't get more minutes. Klefbom was bumped down to play with him, not the other way around.

You keep on insisting that a player who has only played the left side on D was replace by a player who only has ever played the right side on D since coming here.

This is almost as dumb as when you were trying to say that the reason why Eberle's PP minutes were decreased the last two years is because McDavid took them.
His average ice time rose from 16 minutes to 18 minutes which would suggest that he's being used more.

Matt Benning Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

It's not that hard to figure out. The higher ups thought he was ready for more and he clearly wasn't.

And if you took a shot every time you dragged Eberle into a conversation you'd be in the drunk tank by now.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
His average ice time rose from 16 minutes to 18 minutes which would suggest that he's being used more.

Matt Benning Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

It's not that hard to figure out. The higher ups thought he was ready for more and he clearly wasn't.

And if you took a shot every time you dragged Eberle into a conversation you'd be in the drunk tank by now.

Thanks for agreeing that I'm right he is still only getting bottom pairing.

Increasing his average TOI from 16:37 to 18:13 isn't going to ruin the confidence of a 23 year old player. That's still bottom pairing. You claimed he took Sekera's spot. He didn't. He played a few games on the 2nd pair when Larsson was hurt, and was given some time on the PP, where as last year he never touched the PP.

You're wrong.

I only brought up the Eberle thing to reference how he is a RHS RW and you claimed a LHS C took his PP spot. Now you're trying to say that a RHS RD took the spot of a LHS LD. You don't even know the basics of handedness and what position players play on the ice.

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Thanks for agreeing that I'm right he is still only getting bottom 6 minutes.

Increasing his average TOI from 16:37 to 18:13 isn't going to ruin the confidence of a 23 year old player. That's still bottom 6 minutes. You claimed he took Sekera's spot. He didn't.

I thought the increase in minutes stem from PP 2?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Thanks for agreeing that I'm right he is still only getting bottom 6 minutes.

Increasing his average TOI from 16:37 to 18:13 isn't going to ruin the confidence of a 23 year old player. That's still bottom 6 minutes. You claimed he took Sekera's spot. He didn't.
Wait, is Benning a forward now? :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->