Player Discussion Matt Beleskey II (12/14 WAIVED)

Beleskey

• Sit Beleskey sit in favour of anyone.

Votes: 26 21.7%
  • AHL him.

Votes: 58 48.3%
  • Continue playing Beleskey hoping he improves.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other?

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I'm a bit surprised that it happened... but its the right thing to do

hope for his sake and ours that he can find a better place to play. I think ill forget he was ever a bruin just as quickly as I forgot steve leach and brent hughes. at his best he was kind of a hybrid of these 2 players but he wasn't at his best nearly enough to be considered a success

of course... simply being on waivers doesn't guarantee he ends up in providence. so for now, I hope he finds some confidence down there in case we do recall him later

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Its the right move.

Sucks because he's probably a good guy, but if you want to succeed in this league...this is the right move to make.

Glad we are doing it now...instead of wasting another season.

Question: Maybe I missed it..however is the intent still there to buy him out or is he just going to Providence?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Nice guy, but ultimately not a good hockey player. He got lucky and got a good pay day and I hope it helps him and his family in the future.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Its the right move.

Sucks because he's probably a good guy, but if you want to succeed in this league...this is the right move to make.

Question: Maybe I missed it..however is the intent still there to buy him out or is he just going to Providence?

I believe he's on waivers for the purposes of assignment.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Its the right move.

There are buyout windows so they can't buy him out this second even if they wanted to.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
They hinted at this happening during the intermission on NBC last night.

Ultimately, it's the right move. There's no place for him on this team as currently constructed, and taking a spot away from a kid would be a travesty.

Goodluck to Beleskey in whatever he decides to ultimately do.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I don't understand why people can't grasp the fact that Beleskey almost played a third of the season last year before going down with the knee injury. And in those 24 games, he was 2G, 3A, -6. He was playing like crap before he got hurt.

Right, but he was coming off a summer and pre-season where he was apparently in awful shape, he therefore never really got going (not saying it isn't his fault) before the knee injury kicked in and it pretty much seems to have killed any chance he had of returning to form. I don't think anyone is excusing Beleskey here by pointing out his knee injury, simply that it was a factor in his steep decline as a player. But again, it is his fault for coming into the season not ready to play.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Wish you well Matt. Most of us here were pretty excited when you came aboard.

This stuck out to me, too. Wasn't he one of the better available wingers in the summer of 2015? Or, at least in terms of wingers who would have a "reasonable" cap hit (ie excluding franchise players.)

I remember being satisfied with the Hayes and Beleskey signings....and I'm satisfied that they're both not on the team now.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
They can place him on unconditional waivers for the purposes of a contract termination/buy-out.

See for example what Montreal used to get rid of Mark Streit earlier the year.

Habs, Mark Streit officially mutually terminate contract

This is different than a proper buyout, Streit had to agree to the contract being terminated. Don't think Belekesy is going to agree to a termination, obviously, given that there are multiple years left on the deal.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Its the right move.

I wouldn't say the intent is STILL there to buy him out, because I don't think it ever existed in the first place.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I wouldn't say the intent is STILL there to buy him out, because I don't think it ever existed in the first place.

I don't know about that. I feel Sweeney probably been trying to trade him with obvious no takers now this is the next step and if there's no improvement in his game. Its buy out time especially with the cap on the rise.

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
hoping he goes to Providence and performs well. Good potential vet to help the kids and also possibly playoff depth if he somehow finds his groove.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
This is different than a proper buyout, Streit had to agree to the contract being terminated. Don't think Belekesy is going to agree to a termination, obviously, given that there are multiple years left on the deal.

Yes it's a mutually agreed termination.

And your right, Beleskey isn't about to agree to any of those and forgo all that money.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I can't remember the exact number, but all but just shy of $1M still counts against our cap.

When you factor in his replacement on the roster, it really isn't much of a savings. But every bit counts... And the more we can bank, the more cap flexibility we'll have at the deadline.
I believe it's anything over 925k...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad