Votes: 217 70.0%
  • Marner

Votes: 93 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I do think he’s going to have a great year - a fantastic young player. Potentially heading for a 60-70 point finish come the end of the season. Can’t ask for more from a rookie skater.

Well this is trying to change the narrative and what the OP asked. Poll is who is better Marner or Barzal? As of right now Barzal is 8 goals and 9 points better with 1 game in hand, and if he betters Marner's 61 points set last year assuming Marner does not better that mark this year. Then Barzal as I have been told from the previous Calder race who plays the more important position by all definitions will be the better player right?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Well this is trying to change the narrative and what the OP asked. Poll is who is better Marner or Barzal? As of right now Barzal is 8 goals and 9 points better with 1 game in hand, and if he betters Marner's 61 points set last year assuming Marner does not better that mark this year. Then Barzal as I have been told from the previous Calder race who plays the more important position by all definitions will be the better player right?

I’m not trying to change anything, I made a one off reply to another user....

We aren’t even at the half way point of this season so it’s far too early to make such bold predictions. We won’t have a better idea who is the better player until both guys are in their mid 20s. I mean We don’t even know who will be the better player this season....

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
[mod] If he continues this amazing pace, scores more than 61 points (and more than whatever marner puts up this season) he will have had a better rookie season (while being a year older) and a better current season. Does that mean Barzal is better? Yes, he was better during that season. Does that make him better every season? No.
Ovie won the calder over Crosby, whos better? Matthews beat Laine, will Matthews forever be the better player each season? No.
[mod]

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Not necessarily, because as it's been stated he'll have beat out Marner's rookie season when he was a year older. All summer people were telling us that our big three would regress due to them "not catching the league by surprise" yet reading this thread, you'd never guess the same could happen to Barzal. Marner's been a better player now for 3 years and you fellows jump at the first small sample size where Barzal's outperforming him and expect that to continue. I think most of us here vouching for Marner have more of a leg to stand on because we're using a much larger sample of work to make our judgement, not to mention that he's been the best Leafs forward for a couple of weeks now and turning the corner.

Reactions: Menzinger

IslesBro715

May 24, 2009
Florida
Not necessarily, because as it's been stated he'll have beat out Marner's rookie season when he was a year older. All summer people were telling us that our big three would regress due to them "not catching the league by surprise" yet reading this thread, you'd never guess the same could happen to Barzal. Marner's been a better player now for 3 years and you fellows jump at the first small sample size where Barzal's outperforming him and expect that to continue. I think most of us here vouching for Marner have more of a leg to stand on because we're using a much larger sample of work to make our judgement, not to mention that he's been the best Leafs forward for a couple of weeks now and turning the corner.

Well right now they are the same age and Barzal is beating him out as well, soooo...

with 3x the amount of goals I might add

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I’m not trying to change anything, I made a one off reply to another user....

We aren’t even at the half way point of this season so it’s far too early to make such bold predictions. We won’t have a better idea who is the better player until both guys are in their mid 20s. I mean We don’t even know who will be the better player this season....

When is the time to make predictions? After the season? Then why are you here telling us it isn't. This is a forum that is open from Nov-Apr. If no one is willing to go out on a limb, though after 36 games I would hardly call it going out on a limb at this point. Since Barzal is already only 7 goals shy of Marner's 19 career high in goals, and 26 points away from his career high in points while playing the important position we were told by Leafs fans. I think in your words earlier, it's a safe bet that he is the better player. Then I will look you up when this happens. I hope then, you won't be changing the narrative then and just admit what most already know. Also don't forget Barzal was not picked #4 as Marner was. He's already looking good in relation to where he was picked. Marner? Not as good.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
[mod] If he continues this amazing pace, scores more than 61 points (and more than whatever marner puts up this season) he will have had a better rookie season (while being a year older) and a better current season. Does that mean Barzal is better? Yes, he was better during that season. Does that make him better every season? No.
Ovie won the calder over Crosby, whos better? Matthews beat Laine, will Matthews forever be the better player each season? No.
[mod]

We don't have to guess had Weight been the coach last year and not Capuano to start the season what had Barzal was kept what would he had done in the NHL, if you want to play what if, he may have beaten Marner's 61 pts last year also.

However, if you want to play what has actually happened. We have an actual sample of 36-37 games this year where both players are 20, playing under the same conditions to make that judgment. And right now Barzal is better in any metric you decide to use.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Well the second one where he bounces it off the goalie is pretty lucky...those goals are quality finishes from in deep, nothing for the highlight reel though lol.
He didnt bounce it in off the goalie, the banked it in off the Jets player. He said in a post game interview he did it on PURPOSE. He said he got the idea from studying Crosby, and how Crosby would always look for a bank in chance when circling the net.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I must say this. I think you are being very diplomatic when you say both are great skaters. Marner does make good cuts on his edges when he stays on his feet as he does have a tendency to lose his balance and fall down a lot, but there is no comparison in terms of speed, power, and strength on the ice Barzal is by far the better skater. Infact, I would put Barzal in the top 2% of players as skaters in the NHL. It's the one aspect of his game that gives him an advantage over almost any other player in the NHL. And this will keep him as an effective player for years to come.
Maybe Barzal is faster but both have great edge work. I don't watch Marner every game like Barzal so maybe I'm wrong. Barzal is definitely stronger that i agree with. Last season when Barzal was playing on the islanders he was falling all over the ice on any slight contact. The difference is huge how strong Barzal is on his skates this year.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe Barzal is faster but both have great edge work. I don't watch Marner every game like Barzal so maybe I'm wrong. Barzal is definitely stronger that i agree with. Last season when Barzal was playing on the islanders he was falling all over the ice on any slight contact. The difference is huge how strong Barzal is on his skates this year.

I watch both often, and The biggest difference in Barzal's skating to Marner's is Barzal has a separation gear Marner does not possess. Also Barzal is very strong on his skates, whereas Marner is falling all over himself at times without even being checked. The similarity I will agree in is both have good edge work. However, it would be hard pressed even for a Leafs fan to claim Marner is a better skater than Barxal is. I said Barzal is in the top 2% of NHL skaters in the NHL. I may have not given him enough credit. Maybe even top 1% when not many players that I can think of can skate as fast and shifty with the puck than he can. This is a key to his success this season, and this will make him a great player for years to come. Isles fans are certainly lucky to have him.

Reactions: vanwest

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Sure that's it, HF is full of folks that love the what have you done for me lately stuff. How many of you were preaching that Barzal was better than Marner come the draft or even last season....the answer is slim to none.

Most of HF have some semblance of logic and reasoning to go ahead and do that.

I cannot say the same for you when you and several other Leaf fans were arguing Nylander to be better than Pastrnak over the summer. Just as dumb

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
At this point I think most GMs would take Barzal. Better overall player and plays center. No slight on Marner but I've seen enough of Barzal that I'm not buying the 'small sample size' excuses at the halfway mark.
Mind you it's funny how the small sample size didn't stop all the threads about the 'Big Three' at this point last year.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Sure that's it, HF is full of folks that love the what have you done for me lately stuff. How many of you were preaching that Barzal was better than Marner come the draft or even last season....the answer is slim to none.
You ever hear that song...And that was yesterday and yesterday's gone.
Face it Barzal is proving to be better than Marner and he's doing it in his first season.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
When is the time to make predictions? After the season? Then why are you here telling us it isn't. This is a forum that is open from Nov-Apr. If no one is willing to go out on a limb, though after 36 games I would hardly call it going out on a limb at this point. Since Barzal is already only 7 goals shy of Marner's 19 career high in goals, and 26 points away from his career high in points while playing the important position we were told by Leafs fans. I think in your words earlier, it's a safe bet that he is the better player. Then I will look you up when this happens. I hope then, you won't be changing the narrative then and just admit what most already know. Also don't forget Barzal was not picked #4 as Marner was. He's already looking good in relation to where he was picked. Marner? Not as good.

I think you’re taking this way too seriously lol....

Barzal may indeed have the better season in 2017/2018 (though more then 1/2 a season remains to be played), but given their young age it will take longer for anyone to say for sure either way. Marner was the better player last season - so lots of factors will need to be taken into account to compare the two as we get more information - ie how wide of a gap are the two players this year, and is that gap enough to clearly justify one > the other.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think you’re taking this way too seriously lol....

Barzal may indeed have the better season in 2017/2018 (though more then 1/2 a season remains to be played), but given their young age it will take longer for anyone to say for sure either way. Marner was the better player last season - so lots of factors will need to be taken into account to compare the two as we get more information - ie how wide of a gap are the two players this year, and is that gap enough to clearly justify one > the other.
HF reminds me of kids who play pick up street hockey and yell 'last goal wins' when they are losing.

Pile

May 5, 2015
Chicago
At this point I think most GMs would take Barzal. Better overall player and plays center. No slight on Marner but I've seen enough of Barzal that I'm not buying the 'small sample size' excuses at the halfway mark.
Mind you it's funny how the small sample size didn't stop all the threads about the 'Big Three' at this point last year.

Exactly, I'd rather have Barzal.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Most of HF have some semblance of logic and reasoning to go ahead and do that.

I cannot say the same for you when you and several other Leaf fans were arguing Nylander to be better than Pastrnak over the summer. Just as dumb

Show me where HF said Barzal was better than Marner, they didn’t and would have been dumb to do so.

I had no clue who you were in the summer pal, your still stuck on that olive branch. You should form a Leafs hater union with your McDavid buddy and TWS, who’s trying to argue that Barzal is better than Matthews haha now that’s a real laugh.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You ever hear that song...And that was yesterday and yesterday's gone.
Face it Barzal is proving to be better than Marner and he's doing it in his first season.

Lmao dumb logic, one half season doesn’t prove anything. By your logic, Josh Bailey is now better than Sidney Crosby because “yesterday is gone” hahaha

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Lmao dumb logic, one half season doesn’t prove anything. By your logic, Josh Bailey is now better than Sidney Crosby because “yesterday is gone” hahaha

You know very well, that's not a good comparison ...Otherwise I'll say Loui Eriksson is better than Auston Matthews cause he scored over 70 pts several times before lol

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Honestly the best part of all of this is the leaf fans posting in the hischier thread all summer that this rookie class was horrible. Swing and a miss there eh?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It's a 2 way street. We could just as easily point out those of you who were vocal about small sample sizes in their cases despite playing around a similar amount of game as Barzal and being close to his production. How about we just admit that both sides are a bunch of hypocrites?

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Show me where HF said Barzal was better than Marner, they didn’t and would have been dumb to do so.

I had no clue who you were in the summer pal, your still stuck on that olive branch. You should form a Leafs hater union with your McDavid buddy and TWS, who’s trying to argue that Barzal is better than Matthews haha now that’s a real laugh.

how am I a leafs hater for pointing your your stupid arguments in the Nylander thread

big fan of Matthews Rielly Andersen and Kadri

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->