Mats Zuccarello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagh

Dec 10, 2007
None of this is news to Zucc. If it was his agent(s) who recommended that he turn the deal down (in the hopes of squeezing out another 100k or two out of the deal), i'd say to fire the idiot. But thats just me :)

Following Zucc ever since he played for the local team here in Norway, greed is never a thing i have associated with him, so i just cannot believe that he would get stubborn over a few hundred thousand dollars per year (sure, its a lot of money, but relatively little when the paycheck reads north of 4 million).

Who knows what he's asking for though. He could be asking for more money only, or perhaps he's asking for the same money but a year more?

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Zucc helped the team by taking 1 year deals. He has been a stellar employee when it has come to helping the team. Something none of the other players on the team have done. He'll hank could have taken a discount to help the team. He did no such thing.

If the Rangers let Zucc walk they are going to have a hell of a time replacing his production for the little cap space they have to work with
Also true, but other players have done the same (granted, not many). Staal is a good example, he could have gotten more on the free market, but decided to stay a Ranger.

It really boils down to this..with the upcoming UFA's we have this summer, we will not be able to retain them all unless some of them takes a cut in salary. Thats just how it is in the cap world.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Who knows what he's asking for though. He could be asking for more money only, or perhaps he's asking for the same money but a year more?
My bet is on more years rather than higher salary. We'll see as we get more information :)

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
According to Brooks, it seems like the Rangers have had an offer on the table; $4,25M@4 years. Turned down. Seems like Zucc is looking for $5M and longer term.

If Zucc really wants to be a Ranger, and wants security, he is really playing a risky game here. A 17 million dollar contract is enough to live the rest of your life on a beach, even in a ridicolous expensive country as Norway. He should keep in mind that Sather did not hesitate to deal his Captain Callahan last year. This is business, Zucc.

Just cannot se why he can´t see this as a good deal. Living in New York, playing for a contender, and staying with his good friends. Is it really worth 3-4 millions getting shipped to a non-contending team and all new faces around you? It´s not like his career is over at 31 either. 4 good years and he will most certainly get a new (and even bigger) contract for another 3-5 years. And there is always SEL, where every single team will be dying to sign him.

I just don´t get it.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/21/stanley-cup-chase-will-keep-zuccarello-in-blue/
http://bluelinestation.com/2015/02/21/mats-zuccarello-contract-talks-getting-bumpy/

Yes, but those 17 million is before tax, and his agent gets a piece. He will have about 10 million left. Is that enough to live of for the rest of your life?

HellOnIce

Jun 28, 2007
Yes, but those 17 million is before tax, and his agent gets a piece. He will have about 10 million left. Is that enough to live of for the rest of your life?

Remember this maybe his only chance at getting a big money deal in his life. He knows teams are desperate for scoring and right wings. I can see the Devils offering 5.5M. So there's got to be other teams out there.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

Actually 10 million is pretty much excactly as much as you need to live of interest alone assuming you live on a normal middle wage income.

But then again Zucc will be young enough to have another large payday, so I doubt he'll struggle with the finances

Sign a dam contract Zucc

** Obvioulsy self-theory, but I dont see any scenario where Zucc genuinely says "I dont want to win the stanley cup" and goes to a struggling team like the devils, where his only benefit will be playing a shorter season since he wont have to bother with the stanley cup playoffs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Zucc should be trying to get every last penny that he can. No telling what his career looks like in four or five years time. This could be his one true opportunity at the big bucks. It's why I'm not optimistic that he'll take a "hometown" discount (and nor should he be expected to).

Dagh

Dec 10, 2007
My bet is on more years rather than higher salary. We'll see as we get more information :)

Or perhaps he is fine with the current years and salary, but wants a say in whether or not he gets moved. No point in signing a team friendly contract to get to stay in NY if the very contract you sign makes you more likely to get traded.

Yes, yes it is. Of course you can always compensate by changing your life style, so you burn through it, but that can be said for any amount of money that a player can get in the NHL.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Zucc should be trying to get every last penny that he can. No telling what his career looks like in four or five years time. This could be his one true opportunity at the big bucks. It's why I'm not optimistic that he'll take a "hometown" discount (and nor should he be expected to).

I have to agree. This might be his last shot at a HUGE payday. As much as I want him to stay, I can't blame him if he wants get paid. Think about it. Benoit Pouliot got $5MM per on the open market.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Actually 10 million is pretty much excactly as much as you need to live of interest alone assuming you live on a normal middle wage income.

But then again Zucc will be young enough to have another large payday, so I doubt he'll struggle with the finances

Sign a dam contract Zucc

** Obvioulsy self-theory, but I dont see any scenario where Zucc genuinely says "I dont want to win the stanley cup" and goes to a struggling team like the devils, where his only benefit will be playing a shorter season since he wont have to bother with the stanley cup playoffs

Maybe 10m NOK. 10m USD would be more than enough to live a fairly decently* for the rest of your life in Norway.

Everyone wants more. Don't think he is thinking too much about what he couldn't get if he signs for 4.25 instead of 5.

Also think it is a question of position at the club. The more you make the more important you become. He wants to have a bigger role the next years than he has had so far - fully understandable.

* very very very very decently

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
No no no no no. You are the favorite in your conference and the #2 offense in the league. You don't break up your top line. You just don't.

Edit: and that's not even taking into account chemistry and morale.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
At least he should take the responsibility to stay in the eastern time zone to make it easier for the norwegian to watch his games :)

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
No no no no no. You are the favorite in your conference and the #2 offense in the league. You don't break up your top line. You just don't.

We also would never trade our Captain mid season, right? At the end of the day, you have to worry about asset management and IF we have an opportunity to get assets back (and this case, the asset has the ability to be elite) you gotta pull the trigger. Look what a likely overpayment for Marty STL turned into... Without him, we don't make it to the finals. You gotta take risks to win (just look at the trades LA made with a struggling Carter and Mike Richards).

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I would very carefully consider JVR for Zuccarello--I'd throw in a 3rd as well....

beyond that, Zucc is an integral part of this team.

Hpefully he takes $4.5 over 5 years... I can swallow that pill.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Would people be happy with a 5 year, $24M contract for Zucc? It breaks down to be a 4.8M AAV.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Would people be happy with a 5 year, $24M contract for Zucc? It breaks down to be a 4.8M AAV.

Straight up, if there was no salary cap, pay him 5 (just look at Pouliot getting 4M, holy overpayment). In the Rangers situation, I would say 4.5 is the ceiling based on the likely shrinking of the Cap next year (unless the escalators kick in). Look what happened when Callahan was nickel and diming, and he was our Skipper!

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
As posted in the main boards:

To NYR: JVR

To TML: Zuccarello, Duclair/Buchnevich

You have to make that deal if you are NYR, and if you are Tornont, you'd likely have the cap space to sign Zucc so it makes somse sense for them too.
I don't think that would be enough from Tor perspective though.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
As posted in the main boards:

To NYR: JVR

To TML: Zuccarello, Duclair/Buchnevich

JVR for a pending UFA and a prospect? Yes please! If we can acquire JVR without giving up Kreider, I am a happy man. Van Riemsdyk was a Rangers fan when he was little, I remember that from the 24/7 Winter Classic series so I am pretty sure he would like to be traded to us.

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Thing is, we can also use balance with goal scoring... We have plenty of distributors (Stepan, Brassard, Marty STL, Hayes). If we HAD to flip Zuccs, might as well do it for goal scoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->