Player Discussion Mats Zuccarello Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Fellow Scandinavians. We were so close to be the first NHL team to have 3 Scandinavian nationalities on the ice in one game last year... Until Colorado did it.
I love Zucc. More so than any other current Ranger. But this picture is emblematic of the teams current issue. They are too comfortable. I would never ever as coach accept one of my players smiling and laughing with an opponent during the game. Crush me kill em do whatever you have to do to win. Then AFTER the game grab a beer and screw around.

Reactions: bl02

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
As a fan of this team for 34 years now, I've come to learn how the game works. You never get TOO attached to anyone on the roster. However it would truly break my heart to see Zucc in another jersey. Nash? Kreider? McDonagh? Staal? Hell, just about anyone BUT Zucc is tradeable in my eyes. His work ethic is what you want as an example to build around. Hopefully he stays put.
I’m with you. But to your point. Jerry Seinfeld said it best when speaking about sports. We root for laundry. I just want the Rangers to win. Period. Whatever it takes, and whoever is wearing the jersey I don’t care. It’s all about the blue shirts winning

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
In the Kings game last night,Zuccarello and Kopitar came together for a friendly chat. They played together in the World Cup. When the Yankees and Red Sox play each other,the players have friendly chats during the stoppages. Pitching changes,etc. It’s a different world. The players all know each other. They are part of the players association. It’s that way in all major sports.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I love Zucc. More so than any other current Ranger. But this picture is emblematic of the teams current issue. They are too comfortable. I would never ever as coach accept one of my players smiling and laughing with an opponent during the game. Crush me kill em do whatever you have to do to win. Then AFTER the game grab a beer and screw around.
I think people used to need to do that as motivation bc they weren't good enough or bc they had ego problems. SInce it was part of the culture, lots of perfectly reasonable athletes got caught up in it. Now guys have the ability to play well, play as hard as they can and still act like sensible human beings. It's refreshing and nice since sports are just games and business.

Say what you want about millennials but they're much less stupidly, blindly attached to sports and sports rivalry compared to previous generations.

Reactions: haveandare

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
In the Kings game last night,Zuccarello and Kopitar came together for a friendly chat. They played together in the World Cup. When the Yankees and Red Sox play each other,the players have friendly chats during the stoppages. Pitching changes,etc. It’s a different world. The players all know each other. They are part of the players association. It’s that way in all major sports.
I agree. I hate it though and so do a lot of people. I work with and am close friends with some Islanders fans. When the two teams playwe don’t even speak that day until after game is over

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011

I see your point, but players come from different cultures. In Norway this is actually not so unusual, you see it in many sports.

For me the main thing is that they give everything they have for their team, and I see no reason at all to doubt Zucc´s passion. He truly loves the Rangers, wants to be a Ranger for life, and is desperate to win the cup with the team he considers to be his only true team. If traded, he will be a professional, and give 100% for his new club, but it is no secret that his heart is blue and belongs to the Rangers. I am 100% sure that his "friendly chat" with Kopitar had no effect on his play.

Though, I do think it´s important that the players respect the fans, especially when it comes to team rivalries. So I guess there is a fine line there. But most of the time we don´t see much of this "friendly chatting" between opponents during the games.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
On a slightly different note than all the trade rumors, i came across a Norwegian article

Zucc now has 300 points as a Ranger, elevating him to the top 40 all time Rangers point getters.
He is also in the top 60 in games played as a Ranger, with 432 games.

He is at 299 points according to nhl.com

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I see your point, but players come from different cultures. In Norway this is actually not so unusual, you see it in many sports.

For me the main thing is that they give everything they have for their team, and I see no reason at all to doubt Zucc´s passion. He truly loves the Rangers, wants to be a Ranger for life, and is desperate to win the cup with the team he considers to be his only true team. If traded, he will be a professional, and give 100% for his new club, but it is no secret that his heart is blue and belongs to the Rangers. I am 100% sure that his "friendly chat" with Kopitar had no effect on his play.

Though, I do think it´s important that the players respect the fans, especially when it comes to team rivalries. So I guess there is a fine line there. But most of the time we don´t see much of this "friendly chatting" between opponents during the games.

Edit: this isn't really directed at you, Zucc:

This idea that players are comfortable and in turn play soft with each other is complete and utter horseshit. It's made up nonsense by the tuffness crowd. Joey Kocur wouldn't fight Marty McSorley and vice versa, does that make them p***yes? Who almost ended Mark Staal's season about 5 years ago? I can tell you it wasn't a complete stranger.

It's been going on for decade's now. Many of these players are friends off the ice, they played Jr's, national teams etc. etc. together, are related or something. It doesn't effect their compete level one iota, like I said it's made up horseshit by people that have nothing else to whine about but this nonsense.

Reactions: Inferno

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017

This idea that players are comfortable and in turn play soft with each other is complete and utter horse****. It's made up nonsense by the tuffness crowd. Joey Kocur wouldn't fight Marty McSorley and vice versa, does that make them *****es? Who almost ended Mark Staal's season about 5 years ago? I can tell you it wasn't a complete stranger.

It's been going on for decade's now. Many of these players are friends off the ice, they played Jr's, national teams etc. etc. together, are related or something. It doesn't effect their compete level one iota, like I said it's made up horse**** by people that have nothing else to whine about but this nonsense.
As a fan it bothers me. It bothers a lot of people. You tend to post very angry belligerent responses to posts you don’t agree with. Chill out. Just disagree

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
As a fan it bothers me. It bothers a lot of people. You tend to post very angry belligerent responses to posts you don’t agree with. Chill out. Just disagree

As a fan, I'm going to respectfully disagree that players having a lighthearted chat on the ice is a problem. The only way this is a problem is if the fans have a self imposed need to be angry at the fans and players of the other team. And the notion that this anger is the only way to appreciate a team sport.

As been pointed out, these players played together in other leagues, grew up together, play on the national teams together. They are going to form friendships. There is no way to stop this from happening, unless you want to put people in cages and just release them for game night.

You need to trust that these people put friendships aside when the puck drops, because the people they want to see succeed is the ones wearing the same color jersey as they are.

Personally, i rather like the taps on the pads and small nods of respect that gets sent back and forth after rough plays. Because it speaks to the character of our players. Besides, interacting with other players outside your team in intermissions just makes for a more interesting experience the viewer, instead of just keeping to yourself and brood for a long season.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
What are you guys talking about?? If you don't segregate people into neat little groups and have them foster an undying hatred for one another, then you'll never get them to try to win at anything.

Duh.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
As a fan it bothers me. It bothers a lot of people.
There is a saying that goes : "Canadians are the nicest people on the planet. But put a hockey stick into their hands, and they'll turn into psychopaths". It sorts of "illustrates" this topic.

I have no doubt that whatever two players relationship is like off the ice, they are not holding back on the ice. I've never seen even a hint of that at least. That two players exchanges a few words without a gallon of vitriol and physical threats does not mean that they'll suddenly "play soft" around each other...

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011

This idea that players are comfortable and in turn play soft with each other is complete and utter horse****. It's made up nonsense by the tuffness crowd. Joey Kocur wouldn't fight Marty McSorley and vice versa, does that make them *****es? Who almost ended Mark Staal's season about 5 years ago? I can tell you it wasn't a complete stranger.

It's been going on for decade's now. Many of these players are friends off the ice, they played Jr's, national teams etc. etc. together, are related or something. It doesn't effect their compete level one iota, like I said it's made up horse**** by people that have nothing else to whine about but this nonsense.

No problem. And as I said, I see your point. When it comes to Zucc I actually have never seen him do this (did not watch the game against Kings), not even with Brassard or Hags have I seen him chatting. To me he always looks focused on the game.

anofsti

May 14, 2011
This discussion reminds me of one of my favorite hockey moments, even if it's not Rangers related.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
As much as it didn’t work out here for him remember the Eric Staal hit that concussed his brother Marc and caused him to miss lengthy time? I’m not asking for that but no pleasantries till after the game thank you very much. Many of you arguing you don’t have a problem with it don’t realize that the Rangers players themselves probably agree with you, hence the fact they are so freakin soft and easy to play against and intimidate

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Players on both sides talk to each other every single game. This isnt a NYR exclusive event.

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
According to norwegian media, a Zuccarello trade is very much likely before deadline. No idea if they have any inside sources....

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Nah they dont. They are just mirroring articles, debate from this forum, and throw in some opinions from hockey "experts" in Norway.

The deduction from the article lands on 5 most likely landing spots for Zucc: Calgary Flames, Dallas Stars, Nashville Predators, St. Louis Blues and San Jose Sharks. The ideal team out of those is made out to be Nashville Predators, citing booming hockey markets, attractive style of hockey and will instantly become a important t6 piece

Reactions: Loff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad