Mat Barzal with his 7th 3Point game

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
LOL I can tell you don't watch Isles games if you think the forwards are why the defense sucks.

Jesus Christ why even open your mouth
He's a die hard Leafs fan. Need I say more. There are underlying reasons for that post. Not hard to figure out why with Barzal now at 62 points for a rookie in 59 games being the primary one.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Your opinion is probably quite unpopular amongst your fellow Leaf fans on here.
Why? You think we get upset because other people have good players? It's not as if anyone knows how good Marner will be when he has peaked. If history shows Barzal was the better pick such is life, I think we are still allowed to like Marner.

Reactions: bionic

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Dumb to make this comparison when scoring overall is down across the NHL, even compared to not that long ago.

Crosby starts his career with 102, 120, 103, 109 point seasons. His last three seasons have been 84, 85, 89.

Ovechkin? 106, 92, 112, 110, 109, then a drop to 85, then only one more season over 80 for his career.

Stamkos was putting up 95, 91, 97 seasons, hasn't gotten higher than 72 since.

Last year, McDavid won the Art Ross with 100 points, nobody else in triple digits.
15-16, Kane won the Art Ross with 106 points, nobody else in triple digits.
14-15, Benn won the Art Ross with 87 points.
13-14, Crosby won the Art Ross with 104 points, nobody else in triple digits
12-13, Lockout
11-12, Malkin won the Art Ross with 109 points, nobody else in triple digits
10-11, Daniel Sedin won the Art Ross with 104 points, nobody else in triple digits

So since 2010, I can name 5 NHL players who've gone over 100 points. Just because Crosby, Stamkos, and Ovechkin debuted at a time when scoring was drastically up across the NHL does not mean Barzal should be dragged for not scoring 100 points in 2018.
The conversation was whether Barzal was close to the rookie record for multi-point games, which he isn't

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
LOL I can tell you don't watch Isles games if you think the forwards are why the defense sucks.

I've watched plenty of Islanders games and only you probably think the forwards help out the D. Both are garbage in that regard.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Leafs marner Barzal not that good no defense individual play secondary competition will regress confirmed

62 points in 59 games.... incredible. People need to stop trying to find answers (excuses) for his production when the answer is really simple.... he’s just that good

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I don't think anyone is suggesting barzal isn't good defensively. The Islanders forwards as a whole are terrible at supporting their D, and that's even more concerning when you see how much that D sucks on its own.

That's more coaching and system as it is a knock on individuals

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I don't think anyone is suggesting barzal isn't good defensively. The Islanders forwards as a whole are terrible at supporting their D, and that's even more concerning when you see how much that D sucks on its own.

That's more coaching and system as it is a knock on individuals

Not suggesting Barzal isn’t good defensively but every islanders forward is terrible defensively... interesting.

Barzal is a +5 player on a team that has a -15 goal differential. Now before you say “ooo plus minus sucks” let’s think logically here. If he was so terrible at supporting what is already the worst defense in the nhl, he would probably be on the ice for more goals against than goals for no? Unless you think he’s just an absolute god offensively in which case improved team defense would be unlikely to hurt his production.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
He's a die hard Leafs fan. Need I say more. There are underlying reasons for that post. Not hard to figure out why with Barzal now at 62 points for a rookie in 59 games being the primary one.
Bro, you're the last person who should be talking. Half your post have underlying reasons. To somehow bash the Leafs

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Not suggesting Barzal isn’t good defensively but every islanders forward is terrible defensively... interesting.

Barzal is a +5 player on a team that has a -15 goal differential. Now before you say “ooo plus minus sucks” let’s think logically here. If he was so terrible at supporting what is already the worst defense in the nhl, he would probably be on the ice for more goals against than goals for no? Unless you think he’s just an absolute god offensively in which case improved team defense would be unlikely to hurt his production.

The leafs had + and even players on a team that has a -48 goal differential.

Means nothing to me.

I don’t get why people get so upset and defensive here, who is saying Barzal sucks defensively? He and his other forward teammates are just asked not to play it, big difference.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Barzal is real deal. Great player. I'm really curious to see what happens next year.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Why? You think we get upset because other people have good players? It's not as if anyone knows how good Marner will be when he has peaked. If history shows Barzal was the better pick such is life, I think we are still allowed to like Marner.
Agreed. Barzal is a great player but guess what? So is Marner. If Barzal turns out to be better so what. I'm more then happy with What Marner can do.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
The leafs had + and even players on a team that has a -48 goal differential.

Means nothing to me.

I don’t get why people get so upset and defensive here, who is saying Barzal sucks defensively? He and his other forward teammates are just asked not to play it, big difference.

People here aren’t getting defensive... it’s just annoying that Barzals production puts leaf fan brains in a pretzel because you refuse to believe he’s having a better rookie year than Matthews marner and nylander and need to force a viable excuse down people’s throats.

It’s time to start believing what the statistics say my friend... sorry

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
People here aren’t getting defensive... it’s just annoying that Barzals production puts leaf fan brains in a pretzel because you refuse to believe he’s having a better rookie year than Matthews marner and nylander and need to force a viable excuse down people’s throats.

It’s time to start believing what the statistics say my friend... sorry

I think barzal has had a terrific year.

Is it an outlandish comment to say I’m curious to see what his production is like when the team plays more responsible?

They’re by far the worst team in the nhl for allowing high danger chances against, and it’s not just because of the defence.

You can keep citing the rookie years of teenager Matthews/Marner but they have a real coach that is teaching them to play the right way, and that’s why they’re where they are and the islanders are where they are.

For the record, and interesting stat about Matthews, he’s the only teenage rookie in nhl history to finish in the top 3 for goals, ever. Did it with all rookie line mates to boot:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Is it an outlandish comment to say I’m curious to see what his production is like when the team plays more responsible?

They’re by far the worst team in the nhl for allowing high danger chances against, and it’s not just because of the defence.

You can keep citing the rookie years of teenager Matthews/Marner but they have a real coach that is teaching them to play the right way, and that’s why they’re where they are and the islanders are where they are.

For the record, and interesting stat about Matthews, he’s the only teenage rookie in nhl history to finish in the top 3 for goals, ever. Did it with all rookie line mates to boot:

And the agenda finally comes out.

Matthews is legit, but Marner is not in his class or Barzal's for that matter.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
And the agenda finally comes out.

Matthews is legit, but Marner is not in his class or Barzal's for that matter.

What agenda , mentioning players from a quoted post? Saying barzal has had a terrific season? My god, the agenda!

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bro, you're the last person who should be talking. Half your post have underlying reasons. To somehow bash the Leafs

How is stating the fact that Barzal is having a terrific rookie campaign with the eye test and backed up by the stats test is somehow linked up by you to bashing the Leafs? You must be really insecure to write this, if you think it does.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

Thank you for proving my point! Keep pushing the narrative. Don’t even pretend you’ve never seen the oh well Barzal is doing so well because the islanders suck! He doesn’t know how to play the right way like Babcock taught muh leafs!!!!

Saying his production is more likely to decrease than increase as a 20 year old rookie who has absolutely dominated simply doesn’t make sense. Surely if it was a leafs player you would see that

Have you considered the possibility that team defense gets better leading to even more time in the offensive zone for Barzal (who has the puck on his stick more in that zone than all but 3 or 4 players in the entire nhl)? There’s a lot of factors at play here, while possible his production can go down, I wouldn’t count on it

Saying Barzal will drop points next year is like saying Matthews would’ve had his production cut this year (which shocker, would be wrong). It’s that simple

Last edited:

varano

Jun 27, 2013
How is stating the fact that Barzal is having a terrific rookie campaign with the eye test and backed up by the stats test is somehow linked up by you to bashing the Leafs? You must be really insecure to write this, if you think it does.
You're a leaf basher. Why deny it?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
This is a Barzal thread. I am bashing teams here? lol. Stick to the a team's forum if you are not prepared for praise on Barzal in a Barzal thread. The player deserves the attention. Not me.
I already did praise him. Look up.

Or do I need to post something about the leafs for you to reply back to it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->