Mat Barzal with his 7th 3Point game

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I wish there was an all encompassing Barzal thread. If anyone whose player gets a 3 points night would make a thread about it, it would become a circus.

So... Mods please make an all & everything thread about Barzal, I beg you.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Let's see how he does next year when teams have a game plan for him and the Islanders play some defense.

This is actually key, and something I'm looking forward to seeing.

It's not just Barzal, the entire Islanders team doesn't play any defence, I feel bad for their defencemen because the forwards do absolutely nothing to help them. All they care about his padding their stats.

Anyone can do that, but that's why the Islanders are where they are, and other teams are where they are.

Reactions: bionic

Lahey

Jul 15, 2009
Toronto
Griffin Reinhart has 2 career NHL points.

Barzal outscored Reinhart's career high in a single game, 7 times this season.

chiarelli_peter-1040x572.jpg
hahahahahhahahahahah oilers omg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Let's see how he does next year when teams have a game plan for him and the Islanders play some defense.

This is fair. But I don't think it will affect him too much. His line already gets a lot of attention. Plus that mythical drop off in production sample size argument, hasn't hit yet. He's actually produced better as the season has gone on. He was pointless until he got his 1st pt in his 6th game.

He's just a magnet for offence, and if the Isles build a team with young talent around him, Beauvillier and Bellows. I think Barzal will be fine. They just need to improve their depth on D and G.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Agreed. Every NHL team has conspired together this year right around November when Barzal was proving to be an elite talent. They all agreed not to game plan for him this year and will finally do it next year. They will put all their Defensman on strict workout regimens this summer that makes them a lot faster so they can keep up with Barzal.

Barzal will be lucky to crack 30pts next year after the teams start planning for him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Barzal named NHL Rookie of Month for January

Islanders center had 12 assists, 15 points in 13 games.

cut.jpg

NEW YORK - New York Islanders center Mathew Barzal, who led all rookies with 12 assists and 15 points in 13 games (3-12-15), has been named the NHL's Rookie of the Month for January.

Reactions: sebsisles

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Agreed. Every NHL team has conspired together this year right around November when Barzal was proving to be an elite talent. They all agreed not to game plan for him this year and will finally do it next year. They will put all their Defensman on strict workout regimens this summer that makes them a lot faster so they can keep up with Barzal.

Barzal will be lucky to crack 30pts next year after the teams start planning for him.

I would be very excited for the Isles future. The game plan to me is to build the team around him. The Isles already have 2, 1sts, and 2, 2nd rd picks this upcoming draft. They will likely have Bellows ready next year. The new Head Scout Kautonen seems to be a change in direction for the positive for the Isles draft. I mentioned this in the JT thread. I would deal him at the deadling and stock pile even more picks. And if they want JT back, they have all summer to try. Sneaking into the playoffs is not always the best scenario if one has no real possibility winning the Cup. Think Macro not Micro. Barzal is a stud and the Isles should try to build a young team around him.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would be very excited for the Isles future. The game plan to me is to build the team around him. The Isles already have 2, 1sts, and 2, 2nd rd picks this upcoming draft. They will likely have Bellows ready next year. The new Head Scout Kautonen seems to be a change in direction for the positive for the Isles draft. I mentioned this in the JT thread. I would deal him at the deadling and stock pile even more picks. And if they want JT back, they have all summer to try. Sneaking into the playoffs is not always the best scenario if one has no real possibility winning the Cup. Think Macro not Micro. Barzal is a stud and the Isles should try to build a young team around him.

We need stud Defensman. Bouchard Wilde McIsacc those are my favorite guys. Bouchard May be out of reach with his rise and Dahlin is only if you win the lottery. But yes Barzal is a player you can build around.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We need stud Defensman. Bouchard Wilde McIsacc those are my favorite guys. Bouchard May be out of reach with his rise and Dahlin is only if you win the lottery. But yes Barzal is a player you can build around.

The Hamonic trade was one the Isles did well in. I doubt JT will be dealt. But if he was, and another 1st plus a A prospect came back. The Isles could be not far off if they pick well, and build themselves into a younger skilled team. Really excited for you guys. Barzal is the stud C that teams would love to build around. You got the hardest piece already. Just keep adding young talent around him.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It usually takes 6-8 weeks for delivery (more because of the holiday rush) when you order tape on a player. So teams will be getting their packages in the mail soon that they ordered a couple of months ago to help them game plan better. That's why they haven't done it yet.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
Looks like there are some salty Bruins fans in here. It's okay to admit that he's a great player and you wish the Bruins had him.

Reactions: luki here

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
This is actually key, and something I'm looking forward to seeing.

It's not just Barzal, the entire Islanders team doesn't play any defence, I feel bad for their defencemen because the forwards do absolutely nothing to help them. All they care about his padding their stats.

Anyone can do that, but that's why the Islanders are where they are, and other teams are where they are.
LOL I can tell you don't watch Isles games if you think the forwards are why the defense sucks.

Jesus Christ why even open your mouth

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
It usually takes 6-8 weeks for delivery (more because of the holiday rush) when you order tape on a player. So teams will be getting their packages in the mail soon that they ordered a couple of months ago to help them game plan better. That's why they haven't done it yet.
Is this sarcasm?

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
LOL I can tell you don't watch Isles games if you think the forwards are why the defense sucks.

Jesus Christ why even open your mouth
Actually the forwards are approximately 33% of why the defense sucks. The other 66% is goalies and Dmen.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Very defensive.

isles55

Mar 7, 2015
Defense is all the Islanders play. Barzal's line is the only one that outshoots the opposition consistently.

Next year, the Islanders should plan to do defense better, and therefore give Barzal more opportunities to have the puck and produce offensively.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'm sure guys like Gretzky, Lemieux, Selanne, Crosby, and Ovechkin who exceeded 100 points as rookies are far beyond Barzal. I just counted quickly and it looks like Selanne had 37 mulit-point games in his rookie season.

Dumb to make this comparison when scoring overall is down across the NHL, even compared to not that long ago.

Crosby starts his career with 102, 120, 103, 109 point seasons. His last three seasons have been 84, 85, 89.

Ovechkin? 106, 92, 112, 110, 109, then a drop to 85, then only one more season over 80 for his career.

Stamkos was putting up 95, 91, 97 seasons, hasn't gotten higher than 72 since.

Last year, McDavid won the Art Ross with 100 points, nobody else in triple digits.
15-16, Kane won the Art Ross with 106 points, nobody else in triple digits.
14-15, Benn won the Art Ross with 87 points.
13-14, Crosby won the Art Ross with 104 points, nobody else in triple digits
12-13, Lockout
11-12, Malkin won the Art Ross with 109 points, nobody else in triple digits
10-11, Daniel Sedin won the Art Ross with 104 points, nobody else in triple digits

So since 2010, I can name 5 NHL players who've gone over 100 points. Just because Crosby, Stamkos, and Ovechkin debuted at a time when scoring was drastically up across the NHL does not mean Barzal should be dragged for not scoring 100 points in 2018.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad