Sep 8, 2005

MMC2018_EN%281%29.jpg

Memorial Cup schedule: Mastercard Memorial Cup

Fri. May 18: HEBIG vs Hamilton - 8pm MT
Sat. May 19: SKINNER vs Acadie-Bathurst - 2pm MT
Sun. May 20: HEBIG vs Acadie-Bathurst - 5pm MT
Mon. May 21: SKINNER vs Hamilton - 6pm MT
Wed. May 23: HEBIG vs SKINNER - 8pm MT

Oilers storylines are scattered throughout the four teams vying for the 100th Memorial Cup.

REGINA PATS (WHL - HOSTS)

- Cameron Hebig: signed earlier this year as a WHL free agent by the Oilers, the 6'0 right handed C/RW scored 41-49-90 in 66 games split between the Blades and Pats. He added 6-2-8 in 7 playoff games. He'll likely be a part of the talented youth infusion with the Condors next season.

HAMILTON BULLDOGS (OHL CHAMPIONS)

- Brandon Saigeon: he attended Oilers development, rookie, and training camp the past summer after going through his second draft unselected. He put up a 35-35-70 season in 65 games and scored 18-7-25 in 21 games. His boost in goal scoring this year may be attributed to being the trigger on a backdoor setup on the PP, but he's also rounded into a strong two-way guy, faceoff centerman, and added some sandpaper to his game.

ACADIA-BATHURST TITANS (QMJHL CHAMPIONS)

- Noah Dobson: With the 10th overall pick, Noah Dobson is a possible candidate for the Oilers, if someone in the Top-9 likes themselves some Kotkaniemi or other. The 6'3 RHD put up a staggering 17-52-69 in 67 games and will be playing to a big audience. Possible he plays himself out of our reach, but on the same token possible he plays himself into ours grasp.

SWIFT CURRENT BRONCOS (WHL CHAMPIONS)

- Stuart Skinner: 26 playoff games, 16 wins, 10 losses, 0.932 SV%, 2.20 GAA, 6 shutouts. Knocked out his former team from the playoffs and out dueled Carter Hart in the WHL finals to a tune of 0.948 SV% and 2 shutouts. Skinner tied the WHL record for playoff shutouts. He was robbed of the MVP. The Edmonton native signed with the hometown team this week.

- Manny Viveiros: general manger and bench boss of the WHL champion Swift Current Broncos. There's been rampant speculation that he will join the NHL ranks behind the bench in an assistants role, and even whispers it could be with the Oilers.

---

The draft eligible prospects will be looking to increase their stock a month before the 2018 entry draft is held in Dallas.
If you’re a draft junkie, there are many guys to watch, and there will be two Oilers prospects: G - Stuart Skinner for Swift and C - Cameron Hebig for the Pats.

Others to note for this years draft:
Acadie-Bathurst Titan:
D - Noah Dobson
D - Michal Ivan
RW - Justin Ducharme

Hamilton Bulldogs:
RW - Isaac Nurse
C - Brandon Saigeon
G - Nick Donofrio(unlikely to play)

Swift Current Broncos:
D - Artyom Minulin
G - Joel Hofer(unlikely to play)

Regina Pats:
LW - Jared Legien
RW - Emil Oksanen
G - Max Paddock(unlikely to play)

There are several other eligible players, but they are unlikely to be drafted. Some of these guys likely won’t be as well, but they will all be on the radar next week. Other than Dobson, none should be expected to go very high.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Teams Arrive in Regina for the 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup: Teams Arrive in Regina for the 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup – WHL Network

Coaches introductions: 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup: Meet the coaches – WHL Network

Regina Pats: History Lessons: Regina Pats: History Lessons – WHL Network

Regina's Sam Steel, Josh Mahura and Matt Bradley interviews: 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup: Pats’ Steel, Mahura, and Bradley meet the media – WHL Network

Swift Current Broncos: Survival of the Fittest: Swift Current Broncos: Survival of the Fittest – WHL Network

Swift Current's Glenn Gawdin, Tyler Steenbergen and Colby Sissons interviews: 2018 Mastercard Memorial Cup: Broncos’ Gawdin, Steenbergen, and Sissons meet the media – WHL Network

Acadie-Bathurst Titan: At Long Last: Acadie-Bathurst Titan: At Long Last – Mastercard Memorial Cup

Hamilton Bulldogs: Top Dogs: Hamilton Bulldogs: Top Dogs – Mastercard Memorial Cup

Hamilton's Robert Thomas, Matthew Strome and Riley Stillman interviews: Hamilton Bulldogs – Day Before Tournament – Mastercard Memorial Cup

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I believe Jujar's brother attended the Oilers prospect camp last fall as well, he's a d-man for Swift Current.

Reactions: Soli

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He’s also actually a beast out there in junior.

Since he's 19, I'm not sure if he is re-entering the draft next month, but I hope the Oilers sign him as an undrafted player. Having his brother in the organization will help.

From what I've read, he's been a huge part of their defense this season.

Reactions: Consultant

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
In regards to Sahvan, he's been very solid this year. He's been even more solid in the playoffs. As I've previously mentioned, I have an uncle who is a big Swift fan and he was saying the other day he believes Khaira will be a bottom pairing d man in the NHL one day.

He's also a Bruins fan, and mentioned he sees a lot of similarities in Khaira that he sees in Kevan Miller. He's big, mean, and can defend.

I definitely wouldn't mind Chia drafting/signing this guy

Reactions: McFuhryous

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
For the opening Memorial Cup game for the home team, there sure seem to be a lot of empty seats in the lower bowl.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Nick Henry scored the GWG with 33 seconds left in the third and Max Paddock made 31 saves, as the Pats outlasted the Bulldogs 3-2. Cameron Hebig had no points, 4 shots, won 2 of 4 faceoffs and was even.
Mastercard Memorial Cup
Henry’s last minute marker lifts Pats to opening night win – Mastercard Memorial Cup
mastercardmemorialcup.ca highlight video (3:06): Hamilton (2) – Regina (3) – GM1 – Highlights – Mastercard Memorial Cup
reginapats.com highlight video (6:02): RECAP: Henry’s late heroics give Pats opening night win at Mastercard Memorial Cup – Regina Pats
On-ice post-game video with Josh Mahura and Sam Stel: Regina – GM1 – On-Ice Post Game – Mastercard Memorial Cup
Hamilton coach John Gruden post-game video: Hamilton – GM1 – John Gruden Post Game – Mastercard Memorial Cup
Regina coach John Paddock post-game video: VIDEO: Post game comments from Head Coach and GM John Paddock – Regina Pats
Game 1 re-cap: Hamilton (2) – Regina (3) – GM1 – Recap – Mastercard Memorial Cup

Also: Regina unveils their MC commemorative jerseys: #MMC100: Pats unveil Commemorative jerseys – WHL Network

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It's too early to tell if he's got an NHL future, but I like how Hebig plays the game. He's dogged on the forecheck, shows good offensive awareness and isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas to find loose pucks around the net. I could see him doing well in the AHL at least.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
It's too early to tell if he's got an NHL future, but I like how Hebig plays the game. He's dogged on the forecheck, shows good offensive awareness and isn't afraid to go into the dirty areas to find loose pucks around the net. I could see him doing well in the AHL at least.

Was keeping an eye on the goals, haven’t seen Hebig play much and didn’t see a lot of the game, but yeah, did notice 41 in the blue paint on both of the last goals looking for a screen and rebound. Got into it with Robert Thomas (man that’s a face you wanna punch).

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I read that the average ticket is upwards of $90. That’s absolutely Absurd for junior hockey.
It's really sad how greedy they're getting about this event. I drove out to Saskatoon back in 2013 when they hosted with a bunch of my friends and it was a blast, and I'm sure that we paid right around $325 for a ticket package for the whole event. We discussed going to both Red Deer in 2016 and Regina this year but the prices turned us away. Saw this on Twitter yesterday which makes me optimisitic that they might be going the other way with it:

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
It's really sad how greedy they're getting about this event. I drove out to Saskatoon back in 2013 when they hosted with a bunch of my friends and it was a blast, and I'm sure that we paid right around $325 for a ticket package for the whole event. We discussed going to both Red Deer in 2016 and Regina this year but the prices turned us away. Saw this on Twitter yesterday which makes me optimisitic that they might be going the other way with it:

That’s the post I saw. Thanks for finding it.

$90+ for junior hockey is high seas piracy, and nothing more. I don’t care if it’s the memorial cup or not.

Reactions: BarDownBobo

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Stuart Skinner
Playoffs:
(First round): 7 GP 4-3 370:05 230 S 17 GA 2.76 GAA 0.926 SV% 1 SO
(Quarter-final): 7 GP 4-3 501:00 227 S 13 GA 1.56 GAA 0.943 SV% 3 SO
(Semi-final): 6 GP 4-2 369:22 205 S 18 GA 2.92 GAA 0.912 SV%
(Final): 6 GP 4-2 369:30 218 S 11 GA 1.79 GAA 0.950 SV% 2 SO

(Total): 26 GP 16-10 1609:57 880 S 59 GA 2.20 GAA 0.933 SV% 6 SO

oilers'72