Confirmed with Link: Martinsen to Montreal for Sven Andrighetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I get the Habs reasoning behind the trade. In their eyes, they were obtaining a 4th line grinder in exchange for a top line AHLer. It was immediate, albeit minor, NHL impact. But they probably should have scoured Martinsen a bit better. I hoped he would succeed but he was never irreplaceable, not the kind of guy you typically trade for.

And while I’m thrilled with Ghetto’s performance so far, I’m still not confident he won’t be in Europe in 3 years. I’ve got my fingers crossed that this will, one day, look completely idiotic for the Habs, but I’m not quite ready to call it that yet.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I get the Habs reasoning behind the trade. In their eyes, they were obtaining a 4th line grinder in exchange for a top line AHLer. It was immediate, albeit minor, NHL impact. But they probably should have scoured Martinsen a bit better. I hoped he would succeed but he was never irreplaceable, not the kind of guy you typically trade for.

And while I’m thrilled with Ghetto’s performance so far, I’m still not confident he won’t be in Europe in 3 years. I’ve got my fingers crossed that this will, one day, look completely idiotic for the Habs, but I’m not quite ready to call it that yet.

20 points, in 23 games 8 of which being goals, and plus 3 is still pretty impressive, and not THAT small of a sample size. Just looks like he's playing "to his ability" right now, which reads to me sustainability. That being said, he needs a prolongued period with Mack and Rants. I feel the same for the Kerfoot - Duchene - Yakupov line. We need to keep these lines together as long as possible to improve what is very exciting and growing chemistry.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
20 points, in 23 games 8 of which being goals, and plus 3 is still pretty impressive, and not THAT small of a sample size. Just looks like he's playing "to his ability" right now, which reads to me sustainability. That being said, he needs a prolongued period with Mack and Rants. I feel the same for the Kerfoot - Duchene - Yakupov line. We need to keep these lines together as long as possible to improve what is very exciting and growing chemistry.

Hope so, but the memory of McGinn’s and Mueller’s starts here has me a bit wary. I’m going to wait a while longer to call this one.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I was at that game vs the Habs when Mikko scored his hat trick. Well what else happened that game was Martinsen scored very early in the first period too, one of his rare ones. I think it was a nice shot too. So Bergevin must have fallen in love there. He's been in the NHL all year, I think people get seduced by that into thinking that means NHL player.

That said, it's amazing Sven hasn't even spent a full year in the NHL yet. I thought the contract was a bit of a leap of faith but he works here, I guess he's going to keep it rolling.

It's already bad for the Habs in that they traded Martinsen for another AHLer and Sven is putting up points in the NHL. But it wasn't at the point of the trade where they messed up on Sven, it was when they waived him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I love what's happened with Andrighetto. I'm not against undersized players at all. However I admit I wasn't a huge believer in Ghetto. And I watched him very very closely for a couple of years. I knew he had talent but I didn't think he'd boom anywhere close to as well as he has. Glad I was wrong.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think Sven has a couple years of above average production in him if he's a complimentary top 6'er from what I've seen. But I'm really nervous about him and Yakupov. Their classic examples of players exceeding their expectations that crash to reality after a little while. We need to keep them on short term, one or two year deals (assuming we even keep them) if this production keeps up.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think Sven has a couple years of above average production in him if he's a complimentary top 6'er from what I've seen. But I'm really nervous about him and Yakupov. Their classic examples of players exceeding their expectations that crash to reality after a little while. We need to keep them on short term, one or two year deals (assuming we even keep them) if this production keeps up.
Yeah, I don't view Sven as a long term legitimate top 6 forward. Currently he's a very good complimentary winger, I'm just waiting for the bubble to burst.

Yakupov though? Not sure. He's off to a great start and is finally being given an opportunity to just go out and play, I don't think it's out of the question that he finally establishes himself. More so than Sven anyways.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Nah, Bergevin's a rube and the trade was quite clearly terrible. Martinsen could have played here until he was a pensioner and he wouldn't have as many points as Andrighetto's managed so far, so I'm quite happy with it.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
Even if he ends up being a reasonably productive stopgap until a long-term solution comes around he's already made the trade look like highway robbery, especially considering that Martinsen was waived, demoted, and traded for some guy I've never heard of.

And I actually liked Martinsen as a player. Basically did all the things on the ice Cody McLeod did but was a much more capable shooter.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

Have to disagree LW. Doesn't appear that anyone in our top 6 right now are scoring those fluke goals (ok, maybe Kefoot the other night). They seem to be workers goals, set up with standard (but amazing passes) and finished with working and skill. Like I say, that translates to longer term viability in my opinion. I also think the chemistry could improve, which again translates to longer term viability.

Probably not this pace, but I could see Sven scoring 55-65 points this season, and ongoing if we stick with these lines.

Even in 2013, everyone kept saying they were "waiting for the bubble to burst", and "they don't expect the players to be good very long". Until the trades started happening (Downie for Talbot) we absolutely kept the momentum going.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I would have been happy with a 7th round pick for Martinsen. While the big hit once every five games was fun at first, there was nothing more to him.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I would have been happy with a 7th round pick for Martinsen. While the big hit once every five games was fun at first, there was nothing more to him.

Iginla (oof), Mitchell (oof), Goloubef (oof), Beauchemin (oof), Tyutin (oof), Wiercioch (oof), Colborne (oof), Gelinas (oof).....jeez we carried some baggage last season. In perspective though - at their absolute best, each of those players were absolutely wonderful in their own rights, but last season, they were just terrible. Talk about addition by subtraction.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Iginla (oof), Mitchell (oof), Goloubef (oof), Beauchemin (oof), Tyutin (oof), Wiercioch (oof), Colborne (oof), Gelinas (oof).....jeez we carried some baggage last season. In perspective though - at their absolute best, each of those players were absolutely wonderful in their own rights, but last season, they were just terrible. Talk about addition by subtraction.
I'm on the same page as you Sea Eagles .btw I could be wrong but aren't you Aussie and if so my sister lives in Brisbane

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Marty was a weird player. Every 20 games or so he'd pull out a brilliant power forward move that made you think there had to be something else in there than a marginal 4th liner, but then he would go invisible for a month. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some games in with the Hawks this season being the exact same player he was here.

Regardless, the trade was clearly a win for Colorado at the time, and looks better and better every game. The Habs having too many wingers really screwed them on this. If they had rebalanced their forwards in the off-season to get more centers he might have gotten a chance this year and helped them with their scoring woes.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
serious question: if Ghetto finishes the season strong, let's say putting north of 40 points, do we start considering him as part of our 'new core'?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Nah, Bergevin's a rube and the trade was quite clearly terrible. Martinsen could have played here until he was a pensioner and he wouldn't have as many points as Andrighetto's managed so far, so I'm quite happy with it.

Montreal has as absolute importance to have big players. Therefore they couldn't deal with Sven correctly.
Canadians are very conservative.
(they maintain that they had enough of this profile of players ... ahhh ?? find me a small size , with his salary that scores as much as Sven does .... it is a lie. A rhetorical form that is amalgam to drown the fish in the water. They made a mistake and rather than facing it, they smoke the logic and conclude that they were right.)

The NHL has problems with assessing the value of small players. Yet as physicality is more and more banned, small players are more and more favored.

The trend is obvious ! don't touch the head, no slashing, each year you will have something new !

In fact the whole world is aiming at NO INJURIES under any forms (driving on the street, sports, flying .. search and you'll find).

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Montreal has as absolute importance to have big players. Therefore they couldn't deal with Sven correctly.
Canadians are very conservative.
(they maintain that they had enough of this profile of players ... ahhh ?? find me a small size , with his salary that scores as much as Sven does .... it is a lie. A rhetorical form that is amalgam to drown the fish in the water. They made a mistake and rather than facing it, they smoke the logic and conclude that they were right.)

The NHL has problems with assessing the value of small players. Yet as physicality is more and more banned, small players are more and more favored.

The trend is obvious ! don't touch the head, no slashing, each year you will have something new !

In fact the whole world is aiming at NO INJURIES under any forms (driving on the street, sports, flying .. search and you'll find).

What did I just read?

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The funny thing is he still may be toiling on Montreal's fourth line/AHL if not for this trade.

Situation and usage matters so much in the NHL.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Canadiens didn't bother giving him an opportunity. You'd think a player with his speed and skill would be given a long look in the top-6 but it never seemed to happen there. He always seemed to be relegated to a bottom-6, and often 4th line role with the Canadiens. That's what boggles my mind. He isn't some superstar caliber player but for a team that is always looking for offence, a guy like that should have been given a proper look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->