Martin marincin

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
According to the Cap Friendly website he is set to be an RFA after this season and I hope the Leafs just let him go so he can become an UFA, because I can't remember him doing anything good when he was given a chance. Last season in the playoffs he was the reason they lost Game 1 in overtime and when they got eliminated in Game 6 in overtime.

IamruKusleaf

Mar 3, 2018
Maple Leaf Gardens
Pleeeeeeeaaaaseeeee Noooooooooo
Whew , I just woke up from a nightmare ,
Whew !
Wow !
I was dreaming that there was talk about Marincin coming back to join our team , or some kind of talk about the possibilities ?
Whew
SPLASH !
Ahhhh that’s better , that cold water was all I needed
Whew !
I’m awake and it was all a nightmare
Ahhh

Sorry
ruKus calls it like I sees it!
GOoooo F€£¥in LEAFS GOoooo

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I can see him getting offered a cheap contract to compete as a number 7 or to become a veteran presence on the Marlies. He's been really good with whomever he played with down there, and the Marlies have done pretty well with him, LoVerde and Holl as the more veteran players on that defense. If you can try to maintain the overall structure of that defense for next year (except potentially add Middleton/Mattinen and swap Dermott for Borgman), then I do not see why you do not.

Borgman-Liljegren
Marincin-Rosen
Nielsen-Holl/LoVerde
Middleton-Holl/LoVerde

That's still a top notch defense, and even if the Leafs trade Rosen or Nielsen and replace them with other guys, the core guys would still be there.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Don't think we'll elect to qualify him/bring him back and he's still young enough to perhaps want more than just an AHL contract. Won't be surprised if he receives a PTO from a team.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSophagus

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
According to the Cap Friendly website he is set to be an RFA after this season and I hope the Leafs just let him go so he can become an UFA, because I can't remember him doing anything good when he was given a chance. Last season in the playoffs he was the reason they lost Game 1 in overtime and when they got eliminated in Game 6 in overtime.

He actually did a lot of good, just nothing flashy. None of the good plays he made are memorable ones, because that's the type of player he is.

Also it is kind of harsh to say that those losses were on him when Andersen gave up two terrible goals in Game 1 (including the OT winner) and Game 6 was a really lucky bounce for Johansson. Neither of the plays Marincin made were bad. It's not like the clear was a muffin or he gave Wilson a great opportunity to score, and he was in position in front of the net on Johansson, but sometimes rebounds go in the perfect place for a goal.

There were many, many other times over the course of the series that were more influential in our losses than the play of Marincin on those two plays.

Reactions: htpwn

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He actually did a lot of good, just nothing flashy. None of the good plays he made are memorable ones, because that's the type of player he is.

Also it is kind of harsh to say that those losses were on him when Andersen gave up two terrible goals in Game 1 (including the OT winner) and Game 6 was a really lucky bounce for Johansson. Neither of the plays Marincin made were bad. It's not like the clear was a muffin or he gave Wilson a great opportunity to score, and he was in position in front of the net on Johansson, but sometimes rebounds go in the perfect place for a goal.

There were many, many other times over the course of the series that were more influential in our losses than the play of Marincin on those two plays.
In Game 1 I remember he gave the puck away which lead to the winning goal and in Game 6 he was the reason Andersen had to freeze the puck which lead to the faceoff right before the winning goal.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Marincin's time's done , don't see us qualifying him at 1m plus just to have him play in the minors . It was a low cost experiment that failed and it's over .

Last edited:

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
The AHL Chris pronger

I’d still keep him if we can, he’s been dominant in the AHL and worst case scenario maybe he could be a role model in the AHL

I could also see him as our 7th dman next year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'll be surprised if he's with the organization next year. He's been surpassed by a lot of others, and likely wouldn't get much of a chance. I'm sure the Leafs would love to keep him on the Marlies, but I imagine he'll look for an opportunity elsewhere.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Keep him in the AHL so the big defenders we've drafted can emulate parts of his game--mainly zone entry denials. He's also a decent option for a #5-7 given how cheap he'll sign for... pair him up with Zaitsev?

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

I think the reason why people blame game 6 on MM is because they only scored 1 goal. Had Marincin scored just one goal, that game doesn't go into OT and they win. So clearly, blame rests at MarMar's feet.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
In Game 1 I remember he gave the puck away which lead to the winning goal and in Game 6 he was the reason Andersen had to freeze the puck which lead to the faceoff right before the winning goal.
And with the way our minds work, that is exactly how you'd remember him. No one cares about the entry disruptions (which we could use v. badly here), or
how he's a more productive player than Carrick, or
his cheap cap hit, or
his prior chemistry with Rielly, or
his PK proficiency that even had the coach proud

He's a great call up option that the Leafs should be trying to re-up.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs will be moving on from Marincin next season and Marincin will be moving on from the Leafs.

Just to defend Marincin in the playoff season against Washington. He had been playing OK in December, January then suffered a leg injury. After he returned, he played just once 32 days (or was in games). Anyway to be thrust into a playoff game when had played just once in three months, seemed like a unsuccessful move for both the Leafs and Marincin.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Do you think the team will bring him back next season or keep him buried in the minors? He was supposedly a good analytic player

lol good analytic player was overblown by the behind the keyboard GM's out there. He will never play for the Leafs. Dermott has officially passed him. Leafs have Reilly-Hainsey-Gardiner-Zaitsev-Dermoot-Carrick-Polak. Most probably Leafs will let Carrick and Polak go and upgrade major on the back end the summer.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Out of fairness I wouldn't qualify him, and I don't think the team will either. He's still decent enough to bounce around the league, but the last time he was in the lineup was the end of his time in toronto. Obviously you keep him through this year, but he shouldn't be back next year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->