Player Discussion Maroon Appreciation Thread

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I really hope he signs on again - but I also hope it isn't Chia negotiating that contract. If not, the Big Rig was huge at times for this team and I can't name a single person who didn't like him. That's huge, especially in this market. Him and Kass were easily the best two guys on the team who could get the crowd going, with either a goal, fight or hit all of last season.

Reactions: LaGu

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Good guy, good player if played to his strengths, if we add enough speed that we can once again have Looch and Maroon on the wings I wouldn't mind bringing him back at a reasonable price.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Love the guy. Was a real big part of team success last season, changing the team identity and a great personality. Also, the best goal celebrations, guy was just happy to play and be a big part of a team. That smile was infectious.
I really wish they would have found a way to move Lucic and re-sign Maroon but with Lucic locked in for the foreseeable future, it's just too much slow with the two of them in the top 6 so I'd rather they not sign him in the offseason.

In any event, good luck to ya Patty and go get that Cup in New Jersey.

Reactions: Aerrol and LaGu

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If the Islanders or Devils win a Cup anytime soon we may as well turn off the lights and close the door here!

I know that will bother some Oiler fans but not me. I really enjoy watching the Devils, going to try to get tickets to a playoff game, and I want Hall and Maroon to do well. On the other hand, the Islanders and their smug fanbase can crash and burn for all I care.

Reactions: Aerrol

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Always loved the joy he and McDavid shared after goals.

Never like trading guys that
a) I like but also
b) a guy that the other players seem to like.

I got that vibe from goal celebrations/bench interactions.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Loved Maroon as an Oiler. Scored goals, fought, was a pest, protected our talent. What more could you ask of the player. Then not to mention we got him for so cheap it was finally a point of pride for Oilers fans having WON a trade with Anaheim. I just watched his exit interview, he loved it here and he wants to circle back here during Free Agency. And I think most Oilers fans would want him back as long as the contract is fair. I'm okay at 2.5M for a player who loves it here and does his job well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its a testament to a player that has had 3 appreciation threads on this board in two seasons of play and who's trade thread features as much passion and discussion.

Really loved Patrick Maroon here. Everything from his play on the ice, his hands around the net and scoring, and his ability to pick up his game and play with elite NHLers. The latter being a very rare skill. The vast majority of NHL players cannot play and adapt effectively up and down the lineup. Patrick could.

Love his humor, that he helped this young team to relax, to think positively and I really feel there was some chemistry between him and a successful team identity. Maroon is one of those change life, work, hard, believe type people. His whole presence in the NHL and playing in topsix suggests a player that just wouldn't give up under any circumstance and look at what its brought him.

So that we had a guy that scored 52goals here in exactly 2 seasons of play here. Only two players on the team scored more. You know who they are. In Patricks case with the vast majority of those goals being EV, where its harder to score.

Its nice as well that his last goal scored here was a typical Maroon hands kind of play, taking the puck swiftly and moving it to change angles and create an opening and tuck it home. A big guy with big hands.

I'll never forget this player and that he was an Oiler once. Even in bad times with this team he was able to make people smile. Theres few bigger gifts in life than that.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I have played with guys like Maroon and they are always the best guys in the room. One of the guys who you could slash 20 times and he will laugh at you but slash his teammate and you will pay for it. Great sense of humor and great guy on and off the ice. he will be missed on the ice but I suspect he will be missed in the dressing room more. Hope he comes back.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I’ll always be a fan of maroon, was a class act and a good teammate

Would love to get him back if we can get more speed elsewhere or move lucic

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'd love to have Maroon back for the right price. He's probably the closest friend/teammate to McDavid. Sometimes you just have to pay more for that

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Scored the first ever goal at Rogers Place.

I think we sign him July 1st.

I doubt it. Maroon stated 2 completely different answers in the interview. First was that he would definitely circle around on July 1 and see whats there.

2nd answer was in straight response to "Will the big rig be back" and his answer to that was he really doesn't know and a lot could happen. Its interesting as well that Maroon was kind of switching gears during the interview. first focusing on how much he loved it here, and then focusing on how much he's going to love playing with all the players he knows in Jersey, that its closer to home, that his mom lived there, etc.

Lets remember as well this is a US player with no roots at all here. He just came here and played like a consummate professional. He'll do the same In Jersey and be loved just the same in Jersey and among team and fans.

Lastly EC play could be even easier for Maroon to be dominant in.

My gut is telling me we've seen the last of Maroon. The saddest thing is we didn't really get a chance to see him play a final game. Just going from injury to gone.

I mentioned an interview 3 weeks ago wherein Maroon was just looking sad. Odd because he had scored a goal. had played well, but it was a much different looking Maroon. I stated sensing that the attempt at contract renewal probably didn't go well and that he already knew he was gone.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He played well here. Way above expectations. Hope he returns in the summer.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I doubt it. Maroon stated 2 completely different answers in the interview. First was that he would definitely circle around on July 1 and see whats there.

2nd answer was in straight response to "Will the big rig be back" and his answer to that was he really doesn't know and a lot could happen. Its interesting as well that Maroon was kind of switching gears during the interview. first focusing on how much he loved it here, and then focusing on how much he's going to love playing with all the players he knows in Jersey, that its closer to home, that his mom lived there, etc.

Lets remember as well this is a US player with no roots at all here. He just came here and played like a consummate professional. He'll do the same In Jersey and be loved just the same in Jersey and among team and fans.

Lastly EC play could be even easier for Maroon to be dominant in.

My gut is telling me we've seen the last of Maroon. The saddest thing is we didn't really get a chance to see him play a final game. Just going from injury to gone.

I mentioned an interview 3 weeks ago wherein Maroon was just looking sad. Odd because he had scored a goal. had played well, but it was a much different looking Maroon. I stated sensing that the attempt at contract renewal probably didn't go well and that he already knew he was gone.

Great observation. I feel the same. Once a player has a chance at UFA their mindset changes to setting up their family for life and trying to go out with a big win. Depending on his playoff performance he could cash out pretty good. Under $3m is wishful thinking if he has a strong playoffs.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Scored the first ever goal at Rogers Place.

I think we sign him July 1st.

I would be thrilled with this, and unlike most players who are discussed as 'returning in UFA', he's actually said he would like to. Not saying that's a guarantee at all, but it sure is a lot more than you usually see with traded soon to be UFAs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad