Speculation: Marner's progression to the teams leading scorer...

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Dreger: Some believe Matthews, Marner should be close contractually

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger joins Landsberg in the Morning with Matt Cauz and Carlo Colaiacovo to discuss Ilya Kovalchuk's future in the NHL, if the Maple Leafs would be interested in the UFA, Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner's contract negotiations, Alex Ovechkin's partying after winning the Cup and more.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-10...arner-should-be-close-contractually-1.1109067
damn that Dreger is good, finger right on the pulse of hockey, some people are saying this:naughty:

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
A lot of people seem to be thinking this but Marner just tied Matthews rookie season point totals this year, was handily outpaced by Matthews despite his injury and lack of powerplay production. There's not much in the way of evidence to support this theory and its likely based on Marner's flashier play, I suppose its possible but I think it unlikely.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Dreger: Some believe Matthews, Marner should be close contractually

TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger joins Landsberg in the Morning with Matt Cauz and Carlo Colaiacovo to discuss Ilya Kovalchuk's future in the NHL, if the Maple Leafs would be interested in the UFA, Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner's contract negotiations, Alex Ovechkin's partying after winning the Cup and more.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-10...arner-should-be-close-contractually-1.1109067

Guess it depends on the definition of close in this case. Another consideration is when either or both re-sign. Won't be surprised if Marner's contract ends up being closer to Matthews rather than Nylander, but not sure if that's close.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
A lot of people seem to be thinking this but Marner just tied Matthews rookie season point totals this year, was handily outpaced by Matthews despite his injury and lack of powerplay production. There's not much in the way of evidence to support this theory and its likely based on Marner's flashier play, I suppose its possible but I think it unlikely.
Marner's camp would likely be pointing to their playoff performances.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Marner has more pace consistently than Matthews for the best part of last year. So marner puts on 5 lbs here and 5 lbs there and plays at 190 lbs and he is a different player again. Matthews is what he is gung to be for size. Marner dominates now at 170. What will he be like at 185 and much stronger and quicker.

Marner is a superstar on the rise. He might just be ready to crush the league with Matthews centering him next year.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Grundstrom is the perfect left winger to play with Matthews and Marner. Just saying.

Grundstrom is ready right now let alone a summer of training under our program coming in to camp.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Marner has more pace consistently than Matthews for the best part of last year. So marner puts on 5 lbs here and 5 lbs there and plays at 190 lbs and he is a different player again. Matthews is what he is gung to be for size. Marner dominates now at 170. What will he be like at 185 and much stronger and quicker.

Marner is a superstar on the rise. He might just be ready to crush the league with Matthews centering him next year.
Weight at this level needs to be put on carefully. His minutes are likely going up and you gas easier at higher weight.
Point is that he is already strong for his size. Back squat 400 pounds parallel

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Weight at this level needs to be put on carefully. His minutes are likely going up and you gas easier at higher weight.
Point is that he is already strong for his size. Back squat 400 pounds parallel

He will get stronger in time as a progression. We don't know his ceiling yet. I did say 5 lbs here and 5 lbs there, as in eventually!!!

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Grundstrom is the perfect left winger to play with Matthews and Marner. Just saying.

Grundstrom is ready right now let alone a summer of training under our program coming in to camp.
Grundstrom may someday get there but you're kidding yourself if you think he's ready to roll with the big dog's

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Grundstrom may someday get there but you're kidding yourself if you think he's ready to roll with the big dog's
Connor Brown started on the Kadri line no?

Matthews/Hyman/Nylander ended up facing top competition on away games?

What makes them (all 4, not just the best 2) different than Grundstrom

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Connor Brown started on the Kadri line no?

Matthews/Hyman/Nylander ended up facing top competition on away games?

What makes them (all 4, not just the best 2) different than Grundstrom

He is a very very solid pro as a Marlie instantly with no transition problem to the smaller ice.

A good well rounded training program over the summer and he possible shows up at camp the same weight but fitter and more agile and quicker.

He is 194 lbs and could even play at 190 with Quickness and durability increased by cardio training.

He will benefit from our training staffs consultation

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto

To be fair Matthews had already played a year of professional hockey. I know it was only the Swiss league... but still.

The one thing that is definitely true is that offence flows through both of them like nobody else on the team. Matthews should still be tops on the team in points but I think it will be closer, both now and in the future, than people think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->