Speculation: Marner's progression to the teams leading scorer...

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This is overblown. Toronto doesn't get the choice of the matchup when it plays away. If Marner becomes a lot more dangerous, teams will match appropriately

I am really really really really hoping that all the three amigos get their own line; become equally as dangerous and create a match-up nightmare for opoositions

:crossfing

Reactions: Notsince67

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Watch as Matthews gets +$10 mil per year and Marner signed to $6-7 mil on term.

There will be over $3 mil difference in contracts, and why do people think that will be?

It matters little if Marner outscores Matthews because Leafs management knows who impacts the game more and plays the more critical position and important to team success and thus paid significantly more in the process.

Its not about individual points.
You are setting up a hypothetical and asking people why that is so? First of all, Marner ain't signing this year unless the offer is significantly better. Secondly, if he plays at the same clip he played in the last third of the season, all bets are off. We are talking about a 100+ pt player making $10MM. That is not a $3MM difference. I am not saying this will happen but it is entirely within the realm of possibilities.
Here is a hypothetical...if Matthews scores 85 pts (great season) and marner scores 100 (super season), what will be the pay differential?

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Matthews by > +$3 mil /season.

Individual points alone do not determine value nor impact to a team..
So you think a player who comes off a season of 100 pts at 22 years old will make $7MM? You believe an 85 pt player is a lock at $10MM? Do you understand what comparables are? I am speechless over the absurdity of your statement.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
So you think a player who comes off a season of 100 pts at 22 years old will make $7MM? You believe an 85 pt player is a lock at $10MM? Do you understand what comparables are? I am speechless over the absurdity of your statement.
I asked him about Toews and Kane but apparently that's not convenient for his narrative.

It's extremely obvious that Hawks management values Kane just as much as Toews.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I asked him about Toews and Kane but apparently that's not convenient for his narrative.

It's extremely obvious that Hawks management values Kane just as much as Toews.
As would I

Reactions: IPS

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Would Marner be the team's leading scorer if he was the #1 C and Matthews drew secondary D assignments/game planning or wasn't on the team at all?

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
I'm aware he's not a C, that's part of the counter argument.
I understand the argument and I don't really disagree. My only thinking is that it is difficult to know where the ceiling is for elite players. From what I have seen of Marner's hockey IQ, I sure am excited to see another year. That doesn't take a thing away from Matthews. I put both of them into a do not call list of availability unless you are Edmonton and you are looking to make a change of your captain.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I understand the argument and I don't really disagree. My only thinking is that it is difficult to know where the ceiling is for elite players. From what I have seen of Marner's hockey IQ, I sure am excited to see another year. That doesn't take a thing away from Matthews. I put both of them into a do not call list of availability unless you are Edmonton and you are looking to make a change of your captain.
Agreed.

My only concern with some of the logic here is that you know teams game plan to take away Matthews as their primary target. Followed by both Marner and Nylander. Should one of M or N be the primary focus of the opposing coaches/schemes, I'd doubt they'd be as effective. That's all I'm saying.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Agreed.

My only concern with some of the logic here is that you know teams game plan to take away Matthews as their primary target. Followed by both Marner and Nylander. Should one of M or N be the primary focus of the opposing coaches/schemes, I'd doubt they'd be as effective. That's all I'm saying.

And of course that thinking is completely wrong. No one wins scoring titles from a third line playing lesser competition. You think Mcdavid, Crosby, Ovi... don't face all the top defenders. Its funny once Marner got more icetime on the second line playing a shut down role his numbers increased. You think when Marner won every trophy in JR he did it from a second or third line. You need icetime and top players and you will put up numbers. Marner had 1 EN point in the regular season. All the top players get there gravy too. McDavid probably had 6-10 EN points this year.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
Matthews by > +$3 mil /season.

Individual points alone do not determine value nor impact to a team..

Yeah you better hope your boy on the island does not follow your narrative.Puts up points but doesn't play a lick of D. BTW he had a great worlds i see. Thank god he got half his points against Korea. He really filled that net with a goose egg for goals, At least Marner last year at a younger age without playing Korea was one of Canadas leading scorers and did it from the fourth line and first line PP.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Agreed.

Bruce Cassidy was doing everything he could to contain Marner. He talked about how difficult Marner was to play against. Teams will not ignore Marner. I said it earlier...if Marner's line produces more than Matthews, the matchups will shift.

Let's eliminate some myths here...Marchand and Bergeron were on a lot against Marner's line.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Bruce Cassidy was doing everything he could to contain Marner. He talked about how difficult Marner was to play against. Teams will not ignore Marner. I said it earlier...if Marner's line produces more than Matthews, the matchups will shift.

Let's eliminate some myths here...Marchand and Bergeron were on a lot against Marner's line.
What about the whole season? Opponents teams are built differently.

Marner, while a great young player who I'm happy to have on my team, is not the threat that Matthews is.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
What about the whole season? Opponents teams are built differently.

Marner, while a great young player who I'm happy to have on my team, is not the threat that Matthews is.
He was by far a bigger threat after January

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
Agreed but a season isn't 3 months long.
Ok...specious answer. It is entirely reasonable that a player of such a new cohort would season to higher levels of play. Remember that Mathews played a season of pro in the Swiss league before coming to the leafs. Marner came from the OHL. I am showing a snapshot of his current level. Matthews has been playing with men longer and had a higher confidence level. I suspect the gap in confidence is not as wide given Marner's play. When it really counted (playoffs) he maintained it and outperformed Matthews . Don't believe it will be maintained further? Ok...we will see in a few months when the season begins again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->