Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If you play with good players you tend produce.
I think we have a boatload of good players. I think we had a bad coach. Coaching is a very big piece and under valued position. Similar to, oh yeah we need a goalie use our 7th round pick on one. Lol

We have a nice strategist hopefully he is better than what we had but if he tries to put the square peg into the round hole he too will fail.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’m not the one that said sorry you won’t have to read my post in here regardless.

I took that to me you were jumping ship.

Me I’d never leave I’ve seen this team finish dead last, miss the playoffs and have no high draft picks. This controversy is nothing
I was just a kid, but I saw them win a cup, that’s what I want to see again before I’m gone, your run and gun run it back will guarantee I’ll never see them win another cup………

Nobody has ever been as overconfident as Shanny and Dubas for those 5 years. Spending like drunken sailors at the TDL thinking they could win with this core. Nice to see Shanny humbled at the presser. Dubas can keep helping Pittsburgh finish out of the playoffs until he is fired.
That’s what happen when your President, GM, and coach are all rookies, it’s what wrong with the world today, clueless people that are so arrogant they think they know better than everyone else……….

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I was just a kid, but I saw them win a cup, that’s what I want to see again before I’m gone, your run and gun run it back will guarantee I’ll never see them win another cup………

That’s what happen when your President, GM, and coach are all rookies, it’s what wrong with the world today, clueless people that are so arrogant they think they know better than everyone else……….
Sorry man but do the Math, we have a 1 in 32 chance of winning a Cup, just enjoy each game and run and gun is exciting.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
The core played like crap under Boobsock as well. So it's not a coach.
I’d argue the moment Boy Wonder axed Babcock because the players revolted, thats when the real problems with the players began………

To be honest, part of the reason I want Marner traded is the hope that a bunch of his fanbois go with him.

Marner and Dubas fanbois need not apply…
Nah, it’s to allocate the cap correctly, losing those “fanbois” is just a added bonus……..

Reactions: Anthrax442

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I’d argue the moment Boy Wonder axed Babcock because the players revolted, thats when the real problems with the players began………
They were rookies or 19 year old sophomores and still made the playoffs, man talk about high expectations

Edit to add- sorry I meant to quote anthrax

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Sorry man but do the Math, we have a 1 in 32 chance of winning a Cup, just enjoy each game and run and gun is exciting.
Run and gun isn’t exciting if they always lose in the playoffs be it first or second round, but you keep enjoying the quest for a President’s Cup……..

They were rookies or 19 year old sophomores and still made the playoffs, man talk about high expectations

Edit to add- sorry I meant to quote anthrax
Old enough to drink, old enough to vote, old enough to go to WAR. Stop coddling them, it’s half their problem……..

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Run and gun isn’t exciting if they always lose in the playoffs be it first or second round, but you keep enjoying the quest for a President’s Cup……..
Yeah I do like winning every night in a shootout that would be great sign me up. Lol

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Interesting to see what they do next spring with hardly any 2025 picks available to trade.
I'm hoping Tre can find a way for this team not to take a step back next year but I think it may take him a few years to overhaul the team. He pretty much needs perfect when it comes to a Marner trade, beefing up the D and finding us a starter

Reactions: Confucius

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yes, I know. I hope he’s a bad experience in Nashville and won’t want to move there.

Tkachuk, I think was Florida only.
I'd play in Nashville. Great town

Boobsock :D :D

Indeed.

At the same time, I give Mike credit for calling this country club and trying to do something about it years ago.

Can we waive him?
You can release him and incur next year cap with a hole in your roster

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
The irony of the situation is that not only does Marner benefit financially if he agreed to a sign and trade, but, he would actually become more beloved by the fan base for doing so.

He would at least get a standing ovation and a video tribute if he leaves on the terms of "the team spoke to me and I accepted that I didn't have a future here so allowed them to find a new home for me".

Fans aren't stupid, they realize his contract situation. For the Leafs to receive something in return while he gets his 8th year of his contract is a massive win/win for all involved. I'd love to have his problems beside deciding how I want to go about making my next 10s of millions in U.S dollars.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The irony of the situation is that not only does Marner benefit financially if he agreed to a sign and trade, but, he would actually become more beloved by the fan base for doing so.

He would at least get a standing ovation and a video tribute if he leaves on the terms of "the team spoke to me and I accepted that I didn't have a future here so allowed them to find a new home for me".

Fans aren't stupid, they realize his contract situation. For the Leafs to receive something in return while he gets his 8th year of his contract is a massive win/win for all involved. I'd love to have his problems beside deciding how I want to go about making my next 10s of millions in U.S dollars.
Really going to be difficult for him and his dad to leave Toronto... I'm sure they have had long discussions about what his statue would look like. Possibly a jersey in the rafters next to 93.

I wouldn't be surprised I'd they refuse a trade with hopes Shanahan and Tree or gone next offseason. Or Marner goes and tries to play his hart out to earn a second chance.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I'm sure Paul has already called Berube to have a chat about how his style of coaching will fit Mitch perfect lol. Probably called up uncle Gilmour to see if he can put in a good word.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Dubas was definitely preparing to trade either Willy or Mitch last year. I wonder what would've happened. We're a year late on this one.
I dont believe it. He said maybe he needed to rethink things which does not equal I am def moving on from one of our core 4.

Dubas lived with we can and we will and he died on that same hill.

Reactions: William Johnson

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Really going to be difficult for him and his dad to leave Toronto... I'm sure they have had long discussions about what his statue would look like. Possibly a jersey in the rafters next to 93.

I wouldn't be surprised I'd they refuse a trade with hopes Shanahan and Tree or gone next offseason. Or Marner goes and tries to play his hart out to earn a second chance.
He is leaving one way or another. If he wants to wait 365 days, get less when he does leave in addition to the decreasing ice time and PP situations when Berube arrives that is his prerogative.

The fan base is the most unconvinced of this Leafs teams personnel than any time in the last 8 years. Rewind to the year the Leafs lost tot he Caps and the optimism was exponentially higher.

After these many years, fans feel like losers. Go onto youtube and watch the multiple tributes to the failings of this organization, the mockery, the sheer laughter by people, even those who don't watch hockey but have a sadistic curiousity in watching a train wreck.

It's clear that this franchise is a Clubhouse. It's akin to working for the government. You get paid well, expectations are low and even if you fail, "meh, hey, everyone is milking it so no problem, see you Monday Joe".

Might be for the best, otherwise we would probably have Karlsson right now.
If THAT was who he was interested in than you are absolutely right.

I suppose Leafs management could spin it as this was Dubas intention in the future when the book comes out. It would certainly change my view of them not wanting to trade one of the core for a none physical overpaid forward posing as a defenseman.

myleafs

May 25, 2021

I agree but I just dont see him being mature enough to go out like that. My guess is we dont hear from him at all and at some point we will read something about him blaming the media and fans for running him out of town.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I agree but I just dont see him being mature enough to go out like that. My guess is we dont hear from him at all and at some point we will read something about him blaming the media and fans for running him out of town.
Well, the extra $20M U.S or so he costs himself on top of the annual boos he receives from Leaf fans will be interesting.

I said these guys were going to cost themselves the shot at a Cup by fleecing the Leafs. They have a few extra cars, maybe a nice house or two extra. Did it change their life that $10M less over that period (each) wouldn't have?

It was all on them once they took the big money. So, it is all on them for their failures. Ditto for when he is not re-signed and costs himself.

There comes a time when a man becomes a man. If he isn't there yet, all the more reason to part ways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad