Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Most of the fans to blame as well. Just wait until next trade deadline “we are going for it trade all our picks away for a rental.”

Edit to add. Ooops I forgot our 1st 4 are already gone, oh well there is always the 2026 picks
I sure hope we don’t trade any picks away for a rental ever again

Reactions: Confucius

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Why not both, lol.

I think Debrusk got the Leafs killer thing. He is really nothing special as he was pretty invisible beside the first two games where he scored on the PP.

Still rather have Bert over DeBrusk
He has a better skill set I'm terms of killing penalties better shot better skater too I'd argue bit I'd actually love both we become a heavier team for it

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I seriously wonder about this as well.
We all wanted a rebuild to lead to something bigger, I never asked for a white collar country club style build.

I want a 93 Pat Burns blue collar skill build. Like if we had Gilmour and Clark today adding a hard working build around that with more resources and drafting.

Instead we got expected goals, perimeter play, white collar, entitled, massive salary for zero playoff accomplishments.

We’ve done it their way for 8 years now. Time for a new way. I hope Berube is the first step and the core change is the next. I’d like to see a Cup instead of arguing with the run it back crowd.

Man, if this Leafs team had Clark in his prime every other team will be shaking in their knees every time they play the Leafs...those body checks and pounding fists are devastating...Clark was fearless and had a great wrist shot.

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
Man, if this Leafs team had Clark in his prime every other team will be shaking in their knees every time they play the Leafs...those body checks and pounding fists are devastating...Clark was fearless and had a great wrist shot.
Clark at 11mil instead of Marner aren't we just amazing?

Reactions: arso40

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I sure hope we don’t trade any picks away for a rental ever again
I said a long time ago that I could make a good case for having a policy of never trading for rentals. Can you imagine where we'd be today had we followed this policy?

In other news, since the thread title is what it is, I'll just say that I really hope Marner is traded by July 1 at the latest.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I said a long time ago that I could make a good case for having a policy of never trading for rentals. Can you imagine where we'd be today had we followed this policy?

In other news, since the thread title is what it is, I'll just say that I really hope Marner is traded by July 1 at the latest.
I agree with all of the above.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

There is a much bigger chance of him moving after July 1 because most of his salary is signing bonus this final year.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Maybe not even by choice, all 4 of them have full no moves
Yup. Only a loser organization would hire a rookie president who hires a rookie gm who hires a rookie coach. Well done MLSE, you could never screw up more than what you have the last 10 years. Well atleast the only way is up!

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There is a much bigger chance of him moving after July 1 because most of his salary is signing bonus this final year.
Is the bonus payable July 1? I was thinking get the negotiations done before, then pay the bonus July 1 and then make the trade official on that same day. Just like free agent frenzy, everyone's ready to announce the contracts as soon as they're allowed to.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Is the bonus payable July 1? I was thinking get the negotiations done before, then pay the bonus July 1 and then make the trade official on that same day. Just like free agent frenzy, everyone's ready to announce the contracts as soon as they're allowed to.
You would have to imagine that if the team is going to move Marner, he has already been approached about waiving or very soon. You aren’t going to go into August and then all of a sudden say, hey can we trade you.
Also if other teams are inquiring now, you want to move on this.
IMO, if Marner isn’t moved in July, odds are it’s running back.

Reactions: ACC1224

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You would have to imagine that if the team is going to move Marner, he has already been approached about waiving or very soon. You aren’t going to go into August and then all of a sudden say, hey can we trade you.
Also if other teams are inquiring now, you want to move on this.
IMO, if Marner isn’t moved in July, odds are it’s running back.
Yup, exactly. I'm thinking it either happens very early in July, or it doesn't happen at all. And if it doesn't happen, this season is likely to be a circus the likes of which we haven't seen here since the Ballard days.

I'm really hoping that some reliable source reports very soon that Marner has agreed in principle to moving on, can't happen soon enough.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Nashville is not a good fit…send him to Utah, Minny, Seattle, or one the other Canadian teams.
It’s not a matter of just sending him there, you can only send him to the teams he approves, if he waives. I think Tkachuk gave the Flames a narrow list of teams. Marner could choose 3 teams or 1.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It’s not a matter of just sending him there, you can only send him to the teams he approves, if he waives. I think Tkachuk gave the Flames a narrow list of teams. Marner could choose 3 teams or 1.
Yes, I know. I hope he’s a bad experience in Nashville and won’t want to move there.

Tkachuk, I think was Florida only.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yes, I know. I hope he’s a bad experience in Nashville and won’t want to move there.

Tkachuk, I think was Florida only.
I don’t wish him or the team bad experience. I just want our team to come out more playoff improved and focused. I want the trade to make us a better balanced team both up front and defense oriented.
The Leafs being able to play the styles of Florida/Boston is my only concern.

I think Tkachuk gave them a few teams. Florida (obviously), St. Louis, Nashville and everyone picks Vegas. Those are the rumours I heard.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don’t wish him or the team bad experience. I just want our team to come out more playoff improved and focused. I want the trade to make us a better balanced team both up front and defense oriented.
The Leafs being able to play the styles of Florida/Boston is my only concern.

I think Tkachuk gave them a few teams. Florida (obviously), St. Louis, Nashville and everyone picks Vegas. Those are the rumours I heard.
Hopefully he wants to move to a place where I wont see him very often.

Reactions: Trapper

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Trading Marner is the first step in fixing the cap problems, mive Mo and your half way to the fix. Let JT walk or play for peanuts going forward……..

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Yup. Only a loser organization would hire a rookie president who hires a rookie gm who hires a rookie coach. Well done MLSE, you could never screw up more than what you have the last 10 years. Well atleast the only way is up!
Haha I wish we could only move up, but sadly I see us falling a lot further down the standings

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad