Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
They needed a new coach, they got one. The players are fine if allowed to play their style. This fire coach, fire players, fire pres and fire GM mentality with the fans is hilarious. Just fire everybody every year.
You don’t think Keefe catered everything to these guys? This is not a coaching issue with some of these guys. It’s an ability issue.

Mitch isn’t a great skater, is very weak. When the intensity picks up and space is limited, Marner is rendered useless. No coach can change that.

Willy has the speed and strength and so does Matthews. They can figure it out.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
I've been wondering lately just how much a negative factor this might be. No way for us to know but I think it could be a pretty big negative for the collective psyche of the team.

In other news, Marner finished 17th in Selke voting after finishing 3rd last year. HE got one 1st place vote too, I wonder who that clown was? :laugh::laugh:

Considering it's reporters from all 32 teams making these votes, something tells me one of them could not vote any other way.

Which is funny considering Matthews was a finalist!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They needed a new coach, they got one. The players are fine if allowed to play their style. This fire coach, fire players, fire pres and fire GM mentality with the fans is hilarious. Just fire everybody every year.
They have run back the same core for 6 years. They are the common denominator. They are all about the money and are not willing to play outside their comfort zone. Nylander proved it to me when he was on a 120 point pace and once he signed fell back to an PPG pace. Matty taking more AAV and less term and now rumours Mitch wants $100m for 8 years. I'd move off all of them and start again but we know that will not happen.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You don’t think Keefe catered everything to these guys? This is not a coaching issue with some of these guys. It’s an ability issue.

Mitch isn’t a great skater, is very weak. When the intensity picks up and space is limited, Marner is rendered useless. No coach can change that.

Willy has the speed and strength and so does Matthews. They can figure it out.
During the regular season he let the players play their way, which was a mistake, during the playoffs he had them play the “playoff way” which was a bigger mistake. Keefe paid the price the change was made. Strange how players that can’t perform during the playoffs all of a sudden perform under new systems.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Any relation to Guy Boucher ? Never heard of this kid
Well Edmonton's young Dman is named Evan Bouchard . I'm sure you have heard of him :wg:

He is the culprit in question here being compared to Marner's playoff career performance,

1716126123827.png

vs.

1716126295299.png

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They have run back the same core for 6 years. They are the common denominator. They are all about the money and are not willing to play outside their comfort zone. Nylander proved it to me when he was on a 120 point pace and once he signed fell back to an PPG pace. Matty taking more AAV and less term and now rumours Mitch wants $100m for 8 years. I'd move off all of them and start again but we know that will not happen.
They can’t play outside their comfort zone, so a coach must tailor the game to their style not some preconceived notion on how a playoff game should be played. I agree if people don’t want a player because he doesn’t fit their way of thinking on how the game should be played, move on. Don’t be shocked when they perform like stars somewhere else.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They can’t play outside their comfort zone, so a coach must tailor the game to their style not some preconceived notion on how a playoff game should be played. I agree if people don’t want a player because he doesn’t fit their way of thinking on how the game should be played, move on. Don’t be shocked when they perform like stars somewhere else.
Individually they could be succeed like Kessel did in Pittsburgh. As a group pulling the cart, no chance.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019

Confusius this is your tenth post trying to pretend fans want to fire everybody. No one is calling for Matthews to go, he is the best goal scorer and was able to take over a game and win it. No one is calling for Nylander to go, when he was playing, he was able to score and win game for us !

A coach that played Mitch 25min a game in playoffs and publicly apologized after a single instance of the mildest critique coach could possibly muster towards Mitch .

No one calling for everyone to go, but we need a locker room reset. Mitch showed nothing in the playoffs once again. JT is a dead weight but we expected that locking him long term as UFA. Both need to go, but at least JT goes to the net and does what needs to be done (admittedly not very effective at it at this stage ).

So yeah, at max we are talking two(2) playoff duds and $22M in cap space. Not fire everyone, but I see how that confuses you, considering how much cap these two take, one might call it fire the whole team ! ROFL :DD

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
We haven’t touched the core in 10 years. 6 with Tavares. I’m amazed at just how long people accept continued failing. This team and core have been given more chances, more opportunities and more resources than any other team in Leafs history.
Change is scary (especially for Leaf fans) but it’s way overdue.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Well the roster excluding the core has been changed multiple times, only thing left to change us the coach and the core players. I find it confusing how some think it will work this time after all the failure, running it back is stupid, core pieces should have been replaced years ago…….

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yeah for sure, making sure that the players are comfortable is job number one.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Well the roster excluding the core has been changed multiple times, only thing left to change us the coach and the core players. I find it confusing how some think it will work this time after all the failure, running it back is stupid, core pieces should have been replaced years ago…….
Shanny does not believe it any more. That pretty much tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Who cares if they’re successful somewhere else, if they were successful here they wouldn’t be traded…….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Shanny does not believe it any more. That pretty much tells you all you need to know.
Roger that, when the number one booster fan of the core loses faith you know it’s ran it’s course, too bad they’re five years late…….

Reactions: ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The same is true here.
Ok, say Marner performs like a star on another team because the existing core is built for a north/south hard playoff style.

Now say the players we get here make Matthews and Nylander perform even better because we are built different.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We haven’t touched the core in 10 years. 6 with Tavares. I’m amazed at just how long people accept continued failing. This team and core have been given more chances, more opportunities and more resources than any other team in Leafs history.
Change is scary (especially for Leaf fans) but it’s way overdue.
But they’ve never been given a roster that can win in the playoffs. Year after year at the beginning of the playoffs the TV panelist ask the question, can the Leafs win with that defence?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
But they’ve never been given a roster that can win in the playoffs. Year after year at the beginning of the playoffs the TV panelist ask the question, can the Leafs win with that defence?
It’s also been asked can the team with with 4 forwards taking up half the cap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad