Player Discussion Marner

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
That’s an unfair question to ask on this board at this moment.
That’s also why I don’t think he wants to stick around next year bc even if he lights it up and gets 100 assists in the regular season, there will be no extension till playoffs.
I just don’t think MM at this moment has the mental fortitude to stick around and bet on himself in the playoffs.
And I don’t think Ferris will bet on that either.
Best case for Marner is really go to a non playoff team, lights it up(as he will have all the PP1 time and the focus on the PP), then the team misses the playoffs. That way with recency bias, he will get the 12m/yr deal esp teams that think they are a top end talent from winning like the Canes.
that wouldn’t be us…depending what we got back, but let’s say it’s nothing, I think we miss the playoffs. Pretty sure Marner was a big part off at least half a dozen wins.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Disagree because the Isles wanted JT back. This would be a situation where the Leafs have said to MM we will not be resigning you, we want to trade you and you're not wanted here.
I’d think the players would side with Marner in that situation but maybe you are correct.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Just doing some homework

Utah is a landlocked state in the Mountain West subregion of the Western United States. It borders Colorado to its east, Wyoming to its northeast, Idaho to its north, Arizona to its south, and Nevada to its west. Utah also touches a corner of New Mexico in the southeast. Of the fifty U.S. states, Utah is the 13th-largest by area; with a population over three million, it is the 30th-most-populous and 11th-least-densely populated. Urban development is mostly concentrated in two areas: the Wasatch Front in the north-central part of the state, which is home to roughly two-thirds of the population and includes the capital city, Salt Lake City; and Washington County in the southwest, with more than 180,000 residents.[9] Most of the western half of Utah lies in the Great Basin.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006

Elliotte Friedman implies Toronto's “Core 4” is breaking up​

Are we seeing the beginning of the end in Toronto?

"If you are Marner or Marner's representatives you have to recognize the possibility that by simply saying they are not going to do certain things contract-wise, whether it's the number or the structure or whatever you want to make it that you're going to have to consider going elsewhere. I think right now we are in the unwinding phase, and I would expect in the next week or two that some of these conversations are going to take place.

There are teams out there that are going to start asking Toronto, 'Okay, if Marner is available, what are we looking at here?' As I've said before, going back to last summer with Nylander, teams know that Toronto is looking for the best defenseman that they can possibly get. So who's out there via trade and what are some of these teams willing to do. That's what I think the next month before the draft is going to be all about."

How recent is this?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I still think if he waived for minny that would give you the best options of package

A blog said. Boldy/heidt/1st

They are looking to trade. Gus and Rossi.

Marner for boldly. Gus. Rossi would fit all the boxes if we believe in Rossi as 2c.

Replacement for Marner. Tandem goalie with upside. 2c prospect for same cap.

I don’t see Nash having enough unless we are really high on fabro or some prospect.

I wonder about Philly. He might go there.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Is the thinking that if he’s traded it will happen before/at the draft? After July 1st?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
I still think if he waived for minny that would give you the best options of package

A blog said. Boldy/heidt/1st

They are looking to trade. Gus and Rossi.

Marner for boldly. Gus. Rossi would fit all the boxes if we believe in Rossi as 2c.

Replacement for Marner. Tandem goalie with upside. 2c prospect for same cap.

I don’t see Nash having enough unless we are really high on fabro or some prospect.

I wonder about Philly. He might go there.
I don't know MM but he seems like a city boy who likes and gets off on the attention & lifestyle in the big city. I dunno if he would accept going to a place like Minny.

Is the thinking that if he’s traded it will happen before/at the draft? After July 1st?
I would think after just because of the payout structure of his contract.

Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Just doing some homework

Utah is a landlocked state in the Mountain West subregion of the Western United States. It borders Colorado to its east, Wyoming to its northeast, Idaho to its north, Arizona to its south, and Nevada to its west. Utah also touches a corner of New Mexico in the southeast. Of the fifty U.S. states, Utah is the 13th-largest by area; with a population over three million, it is the 30th-most-populous and 11th-least-densely populated. Urban development is mostly concentrated in two areas: the Wasatch Front in the north-central part of the state, which is home to roughly two-thirds of the population and includes the capital city, Salt Lake City; and Washington County in the southwest, with more than 180,000 residents.[9] Most of the western half of Utah lies in the Great Basin.
I learned all that from TV. Pretty sure they filmed the Wile E Coyote and the Roadrunner cartoons in Utah and I watched Skyler White at the Four Corners.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know MM but he seems like a city boy who likes and gets off on the attention & lifestyle in the big city. I dunno if he would accept going to a place like Minny.

Yeah I’d don’t think Minnesota is too desirable.

So about 6 more weeks of redundancy?
It’s like the Ground Hog seeing his shadow :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: Kazparov

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Is the 7 mm signing bonus due on July 1? Could they pay it earlier? Or must it be paid as part of 2024/25 calendar?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How recent is this?

May 13th .

1716038373749.png

Link: https://www.sportsnet.ca/podcasts/32-thoughts/

Reactions: PromisedLand

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

While your point is valid due to his Bonus payout on July 1st, its also true because of his heavy front-loaded contract Marner only has $8,025 mil left to payout [$7.25 in Bonus and $775K in real salary] for the season which is not prohibitive for any team to think the entry draft is a possibility. IMO

Marner is no longer an $11 mil player but an $8 mil player as far as the $$ salary portion of his deal ... If he is traded after July 1st, his new team is only on the hook for $775k total balance remaining.

1716039442685.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Kazparov

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
It's a bit sad a team has a trade chip like Marner but due to how the league is setup you have to take a loss and hope you find the correct recipe with the cap space (which you most likely wont).

Even if you're a massive Marner Homer, the fan in you would be excited thinking of all the blockbusters that open up getting to trade him. In theory you should be able to fix whatever hole you have if Marner is what you have to offer. There are teams in the league who require a Marner to fix their own holes.

Instead of getting to enjoy hockey you have to become a financial advisor.

No wonder NHL ratings have become lower than those cooking challenges on the Food Network.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It's a bit sad a team has a trade chip like Marner but due to how the league is setup you have to take a loss and hope you find the correct recipe with the cap space (which you most likely wont).

Even if you're a massive Marner Homer, the fan in you would be excited thinking of all the blockbusters that open up getting to trade him. In theory you should be able to fix whatever hole you have if Marner is what you have to offer. There are teams in the league who require a Marner to fix their own holes.

No wonder NHL ratings have become lower than those cooking challenges on the Food Network.
That’s exactly why many were concerned when they signed these players. Self-inflicted wounds.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014

A lot of people on these boards maintain this narrative that no one wants marner and he doesn't hold much value because his contract and he doesn't produce big in the playoffs despite of all reports suggests otherwise. If he gets traded, expect it to be similar to the tkatchuk trade a couple years ago

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Even if you buy into his cool story, it's predicated on Berube being buddy-buddy with Mitch and Mitch improving into Mitch 2.0 !

Meanwhile, we are still waiting for Mitch 0.6 to evolve to Mitch 1.0. Oh and Berube is going to eat him alive if he stays, he is like Mike but not stupid enough to go over the line.

Chief is all modernized. Instead of asking marner to make lists using pen and paper; he would be requested to do a powerpoinit presentation of the list with well argued points every day ;)

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

I am 100% certain that it will happen after July 1st (assuming marner waives).

He is set to get a signing bonuses on July 1st and then only 700K odd. Basically some poor team will not have to pay actual dollars and if they do a sign and trade the other team will effectively get Marner for 9 years (next year at 700K in real dollars) and whatever the new deal happens to be

1716046811081.png

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
that wouldn’t be us…depending what we got back, but let’s say it’s nothing, I think we miss the playoffs. Pretty sure Marner was a big part off at least half a dozen wins.
You are not counting the contribution that the players we could get with his 11 million.
If you are not counting that then of course we would be in trouble if we were spending 11 million less then the other teams but you have to count that.

Reactions: myleafs

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Yeah I’d don’t think Minnesota is too desirable.

So about 6 more weeks of redundancy?
It’s like the Ground Hog seeing his shadow :laugh:
Aren’t you glad you created this thread and named it what you did…….kinda like this is what you were hoping for

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Is the 7 mm signing bonus due on July 1? Could they pay it earlier? Or must it be paid as part of 2024/25 calendar?
My guess is that it needs to be done as per the terms of the original contract and that the structure of those some of those terms are also set out in the CBA.

So just a guess but likely it can't be changed.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You do know Leafs can and will use the cap from Marner to get players right?
What if they use that 10.893mil to sign Mashesault and Toffoli? Don’t you think two 40 goals scorer will help the Leafs get half a dozen wins?

After due to his contract

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad