Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He needs to be gone before July 1st so we know who we can resign. Most in the media think he will waive once he realizes he is no longer wanted.
Perhaps, but his "new" team would likely prefer the Leafs paid the July 1 bonus. I would guess it would be 12:02 am on the 1st.

FA frenzy doesn't open until noon.....correct ?

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander came through on his potential playing with Tavares, while Marner was playing with Matthews. Which is more of an all-star?

Or were you specifically talking about these playoffs, where Marner played with Tavares, while Nylander came through playing with third liners?

By keeping Tavares one more year we are holding onto the assets (likely a first or more) we would have to give up to get someone to take on his contract.

I agree that if we can re-sign Marner to a more reasonable amount without an NMC we are more likely to get a good return.
IMO after the presser it is pretty clear they will not be signing him at any number. There is virtually zero chance they run this loser core back.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Nylander came through on his potential playing with Tavares, while Marner was playing with Matthews. Which is more of an all-star?

Or were you specifically talking about these playoffs, where Marner played with Tavares, while Nylander came through playing with third liners?

By keeping Tavares one more year we are holding onto the assets (likely a first or more) we would have to give up to get someone to take on his contract.

I agree that if we can re-sign Marner to a more reasonable amount without an NMC we are more likely to get a good return.
I love what Nylander did in that series I really have no beef with him other than not being prepared for the first 3 games and tilting the series Boston's way. Maybe we go up 2-1 with Nylander in the lineup. We'll never know. But he's here to stay and will face the big bucks scrutiny now.

This discussion is more on how we retool around Tavares and Marner's contracts ending and it seems like most are content to let Marner walk , resign JT for peanuts ( big if) and then play with the cap space.

Just seems to me like playing it by ear with Marner and cutting the Tavares limb off and moving on is the way to go. I just want to see the 2nd round and further again.

If we cap dump JT this year it would liekly cost an asset you're right but there's Utah and Seattle out there hungry for a center with name recognition. Not sure it would be a 1st like Marleau. But he could just walk too which is ideal because Marner is 7 years younger.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
You guys really are deadset about blaming everyone around Marner instead of Marner himself. Tre's acquisitions actually outscored Marner there buddy.

Good grief that's pathetic.
Lol what 6 or 7 guys totalled 3 playoff goals, lmao ok great.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It's pathetic to see so much emotional attachment to players that take, take and take some more and don't give us shit to cheer for in return. It's like Stockholm Syndrome tbh.
To be honest, I got over player love and idolization when I was around 19, which was when Ballard traded Sittler. I tend to analyze players on all my sports teams honestly, and I get called a hater for it.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
To be honest, I got over player love and idolization when I was around 19, which was when Ballard traded Sittler. I tend to analyze players on all my sports teams honestly, and I get called a hater for it.
Sometime your organization hits a wall and changes need to be made. Just because you draft in 2014, 15, 16 doesn’t mean that’s it. Sorry pal, you have to win with this. You have to analyze what it looks like with a good sample size. We’ve over analyzed at this point.

Shanahan should understand this. The Wings had to do it. 30 goal scorer Shepard out for Larionov, Primeau and Coffey out for Shanny, harder to play against with guys like Rouse, McCarty, Draper, etc. You have to evolve.

While we have been analyzing for 5,6,7,8 times, other teams have gone away and come back further than us.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Sometime your organization hits a wall and changes need to be made. Just because you draft in 2014, 15, 16 doesn’t mean that’s it. Sorry pal, you have to win with this. You have to analyze what it looks like with a good sample size. We’ve over analyzed at this point.

Shanahan should understand this. The Wings had to do it. 30 goal scorer Shepard out for Larionov, Primeau and Coffey out for Shanny, harder to play against with guys like Rouse, McCarty, Draper, etc. You have to evolve.

While we have been analyzing for 5,6,7,8 times, other teams have gone away and come back further than us.

Seriously, are we waiting for the other Eastern Conference teams to pass us by before doing some meaningful changes? Matthews might only be around for another 4 years and he ain't getting any younger...even though Willy is signed for 8 years, he's not getting younger either...these guys will be 30 in a few years, my goodness...there will be darker times ahead for the Leafs if nothing changes, and the window to win the Cup will shut completely.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Mitch Marner is a good kid and I wish him all the best in his next endeavor!

Edit: Trade him to a NASCAR team, he can meaningless circle with the best of them !
That's an insult to the Nascar drivers, those left turns at 170mph actually require a lot of effort and dedication. Can't say the same about how Marner handle the puck outside of the circles.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Teams do pay for point totals based on regular season play but playoff teams trying to improve their Cup odds do not trade for players who do not add playoff value .. so our ONLY chance to get any value for Mitch is this summer .. he can't be moved at TDL as no one wants a weak plug in playoffs .. but their are non playoff teams who will want his 100 pts during regular season play as it may help them make playoffs which will improve their financial cash positions .. gotta remember 30-50% of nhl teams struggle to make their operating obligations each season and need more season ticket subscribers so those teams will have much more interest .. nhl is now a capital gains league for billionaires with ever increasing valuations .. but Mitch likely does not want to to go to those teams
Not sure what your point is here to be honest.

You point out that you think the only teams that may be interested in Mitch's services are ones he wouldn't go to? With the NMC makes this whole exercise pointless. no?

If Mitch accepts several of the teams that are inquiring and looking to sign a new contract with him then we would get full market value. If he chooses only one the return will be less, but still substantial. Things have taken quite a turn recently.

There is zero chance he is moved at next seasons tdl.
You may be correct. Mitch can also make that a zero% change he gets traded before his contract expires too.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Seriously, are we waiting for the other Eastern Conference teams to pass us by before doing some meaningful changes? Matthews might only be around for another 4 years and he ain't getting any younger...even though Willy is signed for 8 years, he's not getting younger either...these guys will be 30 in a few years, my goodness...there will be darker times ahead for the Leafs if nothing changes, and the window to win the Cup will shut completely.
No kidding. Where were Dallas and Vancouver 5 years ago? Edmonton was on their 2nd round of high draft pick rebuilds. Florida was spinning their wheels. Vegas was expansion and doing better.
Like what do people need to see. A retirement party for the core. I guess that’s it? A big cake that says but we were right there?

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
All you have to do is look at the PLD trade. Marner will return something similar or more. Lots of teams are interested in him

Possibly, if he is traded I sure hope you correct, especially the or more part :)

ATM I'm hoping he stays and flourishes more under a new coach.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad