Player Discussion Marner Talk

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
So after July 1st, a team has the 11 million cap hit but only has to pay the 700K salary and can negotiate 8 years deal with him right?
Now we just need him to waive.
And this is why I believe they can get quite a bit for him and have a whole year to convince him to resign.

If Marner is at all interested in receiving maximum financial return on his next contract then he should demand a trade to Pittsburgh.

They have a GM that would no doubt be willing to give him his 8 year $12.5 mil [or $100 mil total] contract, based on the fact he was the one that gifted Mitch his previous market over-payment that had no reasonable market comparables for a 2nd player contract that included 4 years of cost controllable restricted free agency status.

That is something I hope our current GM isn't even remotely considering in an attempt to fix our Cap heavy current Cap Hell situation and thus prefer we make that next contract some other teams concern.

Hopefully BT can convince Marner it is both his and the Leafs best interest that they part ways this summer, and despite a NMC blocking/controlling next seasons movement. A player that is viewed potentially by ownership as too expensive and/or not a part of the teams future vision long-term, should be more open to movement to another team for his own best interest.
I disagree. Crosby will never stand for that while he is there. Marriner has won ****

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
the real proble in a marner trade this summer outside of his NMC, is it has to happen after July 1 when he’s due his big bonus. Well that’s when ufa signings start so no team is going to make a marner trade with Toronto when they can negotiate with a guentzel and not have it cost any assets. A marner trade happens late July or later but by that time when Marner’s cap is off the books, all the good ufa that you could have used the cap on are already signed the first week of free agency. This is a messy situation where I don’t see Toronto comming out of this unscathed.
Why can't they trade him along with 7mil to psay the bonus?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
no need to be sassy and i fully understand moving out Marner means we'll add his return to the lineup and distribute his cap hit throughout the line up

but the point people are ignoring is that we can't just click our heels and magically add the pieces we need which are

-num 1 goalie or at least a co num 1
-a top pair D
-a middle pair D
-a top 6 forward , preferably a 2nd line C
-quality depth in the bottom 6

i'd rather keep my 90 plus pt play driving winger who is good defensively and instead move the grossly overpaid underperforming aging C and use his 11m cap hit to plug some of the holes
Sassy? Your the one who said the leafs dont make the playoffs without Marner.... And, where was that 90 pt plus guy during the playoffs?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I imagine Derren Ferris is going to try and make the trade hard to do without an extension...and he will ask for the moon because nobody wants to trade a bunch of assets for someone who might walk. The thing is, if Marner stays because he keeps nixing deals...He will be booed mercilessly from the moment they announce the starting lineups in Game 1 and heckled whenever he touches the puck. If I am Tre....I use that scenario to make sure he is reasonable in this process.

If Marner thinks the TO crowd has been harsh so far...he is in for a shock. Sundin took a lot of years to be welcomed back after nixing any deals when they wanted him gone.
Sundin was a little different and I was pissed at sundin at the time...he talked about how much the leafs meant to him but wouldnt go try for a stanley cup at the end of his career while at the same time helping the leafs out with what they would get back for him. He pulled a bit of a Dubas in that he said he would only play for the leafs and nobody else, period, then showed up in Vancouver which turned into a joke. Meh.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
while i agree with it being a more intense market, i dont see it effecting him.we need a guy that you want to follow into battle and JT isnt that, i think matty is. ive always wanted him to be captain(as you can probably see by my profile pic) and have always believed hes the best choice. so i guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this lol.

Players will follow Mathews into battle whether he's wearing the C or not. He's obviously the team's best player and is the best player on the ice in 95% of the games he plays. When guys see the best player on the ice working hard, that will rub off.

The Captaincy is an opportunity to "elevate" somebody else's leadership position... and comes with some additional burdens / pressures that it really doesn't make sense to download onto Matthews.

Reactions: OddyOh

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
The real problem with Mitch is his attitude.

If he takes 8M a year then I'll take my chances with him. Maybe he learns to show up during the playoffs one of these years. The problem is he thinks he's Auston Matthews without any of the hardware.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
The real problem with Mitch is his attitude.

If he takes 8M a year then I'll take my chances with him. Maybe he learns to show up during the playoffs one of these years. The problem is he thinks he's Auston Matthews without any of the hardware.
Im done with Marner. Guys got some skills but thinks way too highly of himself, and is a downer. When he was hurt, the team rallied and played some of their best team hockey of the year imo and his first game back is interviewed and whines about the media and the fans. Really rubbed me the wrong way. This years playoff no show was the straw for me that broke that camels back.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
At the end of the day for any team, it really comes down to what a 30g/90pt regular season player, total dud playoff player is worth. And he's consistent at both. He also brings baggage with a selfish attitude too, and acts like a baby on the ice as well.

Also remember that his solid regular seasons are propped up by having a team focused on scoring, so he'll rack up assists feeding AM and gang. So in reality, put him on an avg scoring team and he'll drop. Look at Johnny Gaudreau. Guy goes to Columbus with nobody to play with and he's now a 65 pt player now. He only got 60 pts this year.

So you got to be weary about overpaying for players on stacked teams. They likely wont get better going to crappier offence teams. If anything, a higher chance they'll drop.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
Players will follow Mathews into battle whether he's wearing the C or not. He's obviously the team's best player and is the best player on the ice in 95% of the games he plays. When guys see the best player on the ice working hard, that will rub off.

The Captaincy is an opportunity to "elevate" somebody else's leadership position... and comes with some additional burdens / pressures that it really doesn't make sense to download onto Matthews.
then why would ovi and crosby and mcdavid etc etc be given the captaincy?

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

647Hockey

May 5, 2024

Maybe, but I dont think so.

JT and AM are both quiet players. On ice, interviews, watching them talk to refs between whistles, they show zero fire.

That's not to say maybe in the locker room they are jeckyll and hyde and become super motivating players. But I dont see it.

Based on that, if I had a chocie between them I'd put AM captain over JT. At least AM (quiet or not) can lead by example scoring and leading the team in pts. JT is on major decline, pts dropping and he's no Mark Messier showing leadership from what I see.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At the end of the day for any team, it really comes down to what a 30g/90pt regular season player, total dud playoff player is worth. And he's consistent at both. He also brings baggage with a selfish attitude too, and acts like a baby on the ice as well.

Also remember that his solid regular seasons are propped up by having a team focused on scoring, so he'll rack up assists feeding AM and gang. So in reality, put him on an avg scoring team and he'll drop. Look at Johnny Gaudreau. Guy goes to Columbus with nobody to play with and he's now a 65 pt player now. He only got 60 pts this year.

So you got to be weary about overpaying for players on stacked teams. They likely wont get better going to crappier offence teams. If anything, a higher chance they'll drop.

I think you would have to count on another team thinking that a) just making the playoffs would be a good first step. Think Ottawa, Detroit and Buffalo for example of teams who fail to even be at the Leafs level. And b) you think of a team with other strengths that feels like Marner could be well supported to be more useful to them than us. Like the Islanders or something.

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
I think you would have to count on another team thinking that a) just making the playoffs would be a good first step. Think Ottawa, Detroit and Buffalo for example of teams who fail to even be at the Leafs level. And b) you think of a team with other strengths that feels like Marner could be well supported to be more useful to them than us. Like the Islanders or something.
Ya. Also, a team with salary to spend and a team that needs someone to spark offence. He'd be a good fit for a team that needs a playmaker who can set up goals and be a focus for opposition so teammates can get open for a shot..

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
Mitch does himself no favours with his media avails. I cannot defend this guy anymore. That was a horrible press conference.

“We are looked upon as God’s” no Mitch you couldn’t be farther off base. Many of the fans hate your guts. This guy ain’t waiving his NMC. Forget about it
Francis246 if you're not a registered media troll on this forum; you sure as hell sound like one. What is wrong with his press conference. IMO, if he says what he is actually feeling, the mask that is MLSE will be exposed and all can then see the matrix is alive and well. This team has many very good pieces. Too bad they have no system in place that will bring them success. Despite a lack of proper development they almost beat Boston(who has an excellent system)in the first round. IMO book makers now run the NHL. They dictate who sits and who plays. Willy is absent 3 games. Matthews 2 games when Willy returns. Woll the rest of the series after shutting out the Bruins for 59:59. No media question directed at the players about their absence. And we all just accep it as though nothing is wrong. Wake up people..

647Hockey

May 5, 2024
Francis246 if you're not a registered media troll on this forum; you sure as hell sound like one. What is wrong with his press conference. IMO, if he says what he is actually feeling, the mask that is MLSE will be exposed and all can then see the matrix is alive and well. This team has many very good pieces. Too bad they have no system in place that will bring them success. Despite a lack of proper development they almost beat Boston(who has an excellent system)in the first round. IMO book makers now run the NHL. They dictate who sits and who plays. Willy is absent 3 games. Matthews 2 games when Willy returns. Woll the rest of the series after shutting out the Bruins for 59:59. No media question directed at the players about their absence. And we all just accep it as though nothing is wrong. Wake up people..
Cmon man.

You're telling me the NHL is controlled by betting sites and the reason why leafs lost is due to Bet365 or Fanduel?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I forget who mentioned it but if Marner wants to sign at a reasonble price here he can, but there is to be no NMC's, and if there is one, it's only for the later years of a long term deal.

Would that be of any interest to anyone?
I’ve gotta be honest, at this point for me it’s almost about the player, not the caphit

Marner’s style just doesn’t work in the playoffs, he can’t contribute offensively and is good defensively. We’ve seen that in Boston 2019, Columbus, Montreal, Florida, Boston 2024. At this point we know who and what he is, and that isn’t changing because he isn’t going to

Sure I’d take him back at 8-9.5 million but even the 9.5 would be pushing it. He gave us 3 points this series, and 1 of them was a garbage nothing pass back to McCabe. That’s not worth being a 1st liner, let alone 9 million. If we had 3 domi-esque players we’d undoubtedly get more production out of them AND we would be more balanced. In that entire 7 game series, our third line didn’t score a single time. If we had 3 more top 9-6 players they might have been able to contribute and then who knows.

People say it’s the core 4 philosophy that’s failed, I tack on this group of guys in general. Even at reduced prices idk if they have it in them to win

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The system held what back?
The system that held boston to 16 goals on a goalie? 2.28 goals against
The system that let nylander score 3 goals in 4 games? Stop trying to deflect onto others, they are already getting their fair share of criticism but it seems only Marner has his huge portion deflected off him

The others did something, Marner played and it was as if he wasn’t even there, would’ve been better tbh

Nylander game 6 did more than Marner did this entire series

Matthews game 2 did more than Marner has done the last two series’s

Woll is elite as f*** whenever he plays but he’s a backup

I can’t point at anything Marner did that series and say, that’s why he is paid 11 million. For a drop pass for a one timer? For a cross ice pass? He never dictated play, he shied away from contact and the greasy areas and elected to pass it out to others instead of doing it himself. That’s not a good playoff performer.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Not a troll wtf, my reaction was instant, I was listening to the press conference on the radio that day , live. Without video and just listening it sounded very condescending. Additionally I have been one of Marner’s biggest supporters on these boards. At the end of the day I think he could have chosen way better words to describe what he was talking about

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad