Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Oh absolutely. I mean when I saw him on TV saying that, I was taken aback at the time but then I realized that kid's probably lived most of his life in a hockey rink so it's not that surprising that he knows nothing expect hockey.
There was a clip online a few years with Mitch and one of his London team mates attempting to answer some fairly basic trivia questions. It wasn't pretty.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I cannot see how Marner can possibly not waive.

Why subject himself a total media and fan shit storm for the next year as he remains unsigned?

Marner is about the money, and he will get his $12m from someone else, minus the zoo and endless criticism he will face playing out the year here on a lame duck one year contract.

I think Marner is dumb but his agent is not, and he can read the tea leaves.

Marner needs to go. The fans have soured and at minimum can see he isn’t a player that is suited for playoff hockey.

There’s no need to stick it out and go from being “a god” to a despised play by the home crowd.

He is thin skinned and cares how he’s perceived. His easiest out is to waive and then be in involved in picking his destination.

If he plays it right, he could return a hero. If he plays it wrong, he can easily be a very despised player here.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
So after July 1st, a team has the 11 million cap hit but only has to pay the 700K salary and can negotiate 8 years deal with him right?
Now we just need him to waive.
Finding a team that he is open to extend with and is willing to pay him enough to sign an extension and has the assets to satisfy the Leafs is the tricky part.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If the trade involves Marner getting extended by the team receiving him, I think the Leafs could get a good return...any team trading for Marner would want to extend him.
I very much doubt that if there is a trade that it will occur before he gets his bonus on July 1.

Because of that, it opens up a decent possibility of a sign and trade where his extension is in place before the move. This would also likely increase the potential return.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
would’ve worked for the god.
Kessel was the master.

Tavares and Kessel are just a lot smarter than Marner.

Chicago is a desirable place
Do they have an acceptable D for us that will part with ?

Smart teams save cap space for final pieces. Acquiring expensive UFAs early in rebuilds is a fatal flaw. Dubas wanting Tavares was the fatal flaw for the Leafs.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Take Malkin out and you have a deal!
😂😂

I approve this message.

We take Malkin now and we are trading 1st to get rid of him later
In Toronto is often referred to as "Blue and White disease" that sense of entitlement for the players feel like their "Gods" and where the Inmates run the Asylum.

Being an elite regular season team - read THRID IN THEIR DIVISION - can do that to a hockey player. I can understand that.

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Goodbye, sunfish Mitch. Won’t miss you flopping around when the going gets tough.

You’re just not cut out to be a Leaf leader. You’ll never get “it”.

Reactions: saffronleaf

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
If you watched McDavids performance last night, is an insult to the sport that this dude makes only 1.6 mil less then he does

If you make over 10 I expect you to take and dominate not just be an above average defender that can make good passes sometimes

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
JT really loves playing hockey...I'm not so sure about Marner...seems like Marner's dream is to make it to the NHL and get paid...so, he's done achieving his dream, why sweat it in the playoffs? Imagine having not worked on your weak shot for 8 years as an NHL player, and still doing those fancy dipsy doodles that worked in the OHL.

Watch Pasta in his first two seasons. He always had dekes and sense for the game but,no one timer at all. Shoots pucks after every practice for years and now possesses one of the best of not the best one-timer in the league.

His wrist shot was non-existent until a couple of years ago, the same process.

I feel like Marner and Nylander just got outworked throughout their career. I remember Nylanders junior coach who had him and Pasta on the same line. He spoke once they both played their first year or two. He said that Pasta is great but Willie is on a different level talent-wise.

Reactions: Superstar

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
If I’m marner, Chicago is a desirable place. Lots of cap room, will give you the contract you want, play with bedard, alot less pressure and expectations as Chicago will be a non contender for several years.
The only part I disagree with is the several years part. Have seen too many teams with 1st overall picks turn it around fast.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I cannot see how Marner can possibly not waive.

Why subject himself a total media and fan shit storm for the next year as he remains unsigned?

Marner is about the money, and he will get his $12m from someone else, minus the zoo and endless criticism he will face playing out the year here on a lame duck one year contract.

I think Marner is dumb but his agent is not, and he can read the tea leaves.

Marner needs to go. The fans have soured and at minimum can see he isn’t a player that is suited for playoff hockey.

There’s no need to stick it out and go from being “a god” to a despised play by the home crowd.

He is thin skinned and cares how he’s perceived. His easiest out is to waive and then be in involved in picking his destination.

If he plays it right, he could return a hero. If he plays it wrong, he can easily be a very despised player here.
I disagree on one thing. No team, I repeat no team, will pay Marner anywhere near 12 million dollars. Only in Toronto is he so over valued, and now that horse has left the barn.

Leafs98

Sep 26, 2007
Solution is easy. Bring back Babcock for a year. Bench Marner at every blind pass. He'll demand a trade.

What I think really happens is he plays lights out in the fall and Leafs cant help themselves to a resign. I am actual okay with a core 3 if a coach can figure out how to get the most out of him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No idea what will happen with Marner, presser seems promising, but actions speak louder than words. I love how Dreger already starting to send the Marner camp message ‘Darren Ferris will walk him to free agency..it won’t be easy..he could get pressure from fans..but that’s already happening…’. Leafs can also play hardball and make life very uncomfortable for him..remains to be seen if they have the balls
Who is Dreger sending the message to?

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
The only part I disagree with is the several years part. Have seen too many teams with 1st overall picks turn it around fast.
It took colorado and Tampa numerous lottery picks and almost a decade of failure to get their cups. Chicago won’t be contending for a cup until Bedard is 26-28 yrs old, I promise.

Reactions: Jojalu

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Naturally with all their resources they can't even get the volume right. How can they run a hockey franchise if they can't even manage to run a volume control?

Update: it took them a few minutes but they finally got the volume up to passable levels. You can't hear the questions being asked though. They need a mobile mic to pass to whoever is asking the question.

Tre seems smart. Shanny less so. Pelley sounds a bit stupid.
Usually, shit sinks to the bottom. However, in the case of our Leafs, and MLSE, the shit seems to have risen to the top.

Yes, I agree, Treliving was better spoken than the other two clowns.

Shanahan shouldn't have even been there since he should have been FIRED. 10 years for the disaster that our Leafs are was more than enough time to have seen them at least make the eastern conference finals ONCE !!!

Pelley acted like he has lived in vacuum not knowing that our Leafs have been putrid playoff performers for far too long under Shanahan's rebuild tenure. "I've only been on job for 4 weeks" just didn't cut it in my eyes.

Shanahan is more culpable than Keefe was in our Leafs not getting better results in the playoffs year after year. He hired, or allowed to be hired, the wrong people under him. He also stuck with those people far too long.

JMHO.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Marner is at all interested in receiving maximum financial return on his next contract then he should demand a trade to Pittsburgh.

They have a GM that would no doubt be willing to give him his 8 year $12.5 mil [or $100 mil total] contract, based on the fact he was the one that gifted Mitch his previous market over-payment that had no reasonable market comparables for a 2nd player contract that included 4 years of cost controllable restricted free agency status.

That is something I hope our current GM isn't even remotely considering in an attempt to fix our Cap heavy current Cap Hell situation and thus prefer we make that next contract some other teams concern.

Hopefully BT can convince Marner it is both his and the Leafs best interest that they part ways this summer, and despite a NMC blocking/controlling next seasons movement. A player that is viewed potentially by ownership as too expensive and/or not a part of the teams future vision long-term, should be more open to movement to another team for his own best interest.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If I’m marner, Chicago is a desirable place. Lots of cap room, will give you the contract you want, play with bedard, alot less pressure and expectations as Chicago will be a non contender for several years.

My 3 top choices for Marner would be to a team with a lot of free cap space to accommodate his next deal which generally means a current rebuilding teams.

1) Chicago as mentioned above to ride shotgun with Star Connor Bedard.
2) Anaheim - Send him to California and Disneyland and where Auston his best pal resides not to far away in the offseason.
3) Utah - Mini Mighty Mountaineers (or whatever they will can themselves) .. He could go to a new market and fill arena's and sell tickets.

1715439528894.png

1715439384564.png

3 teams with a lot of cap space and potentially some younger assets picks prospects that could facilitate a hockey trade.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad