Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I see JT decided to go to the Worlds and represent Canada. Mitch decided to go to the cottage.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Like I said earlier in this thread. Marner is such an oddball. For a hometown GTA star who actually got drafted by the hometown team he seems to have no clue how to speak to the audience, tell them what they want to hear or play in the culture that Toronto loves. It’s just bizarre how out of touch Marner Camp has been the whole time.
Long ago, I just gave up on MM and his PR's team.
In today's society, top guys like MM have been groom since early teens in what to say and not say, just say nice things.....I remembered about 15 yrs ago, I was watching the Football(Soccer) 10s in Hong Kong. Where alot of top clubs send their youth teams to play, still remembered sitting behind the Liverpool Youth Team and their coach was telling the kids(13-16yrs old) that we are heading to the press room in 10mins, use the toilet now...also when asked about what you think of HK, the tournament, just say HK is a nice city, friendly people, love the support of Liverpool fans....
I assume they do the same thing with Hockey players, esp those who got a good chance to make it to the pros. But MM is just the opposite of that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No idea what will happen with Marner, presser seems promising, but actions speak louder than words. I love how Dreger already starting to send the Marner camp message ‘Darren Ferris will walk him to free agency..it won’t be easy..he could get pressure from fans..but that’s already happening…’. Leafs can also play hardball and make life very uncomfortable for him..remains to be seen if they have the balls

In the past "walking to free agency" would likely have worked against an clueless Dubas and out of fear would cave to every demand. Last time Mitch just floated the idea of an Offersheet and he got his $11 mil as Leafs GM got taken behind the wood shed for a good spanking.

This time I believe things will be different and "free agency" returns $11 mil cap to the Leafs if Marner refuses to waive his NMC next year to allow a trade. If the Leafs are looking to trade Marner then a new Leaf contract is not in the offering and so walking away as a free agent might be Mitch's only other option.

Leafs could go out and sign another UFA like say Rantanen or Draisaitl etc with the recaptured cap space.

If Marner would come to his senses and accept its time to move on then it would be in his best interest to work with Leafs management on a destination of his choice because it would allow an 8th year on a contract in a sign and trade or move next year to allow his new team to meet his salary demands. If he walks himself to UFA status then he can only sign a 7 year deal..

Reactions: Petrus

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
In the past "walking to free agency" would likely have worked against an clueless Dubas and out of fear would cave to every demand. Last time Mitch just floated the idea of an Offersheet and he got his $11 mil as Leafs GM got taken behind the wood shed for a good spanking.

This time I believe things will be different and "free agency" returns $11 mil cap to the Leafs if Marner refuses to waive his NMC next year to allow a trade. If the Leafs are looking to trade Marner then a new Leaf contract is not in the offering and so walking away as a free agent might be Mitch's only other option.

Leafs could go out and sign another UFA like say Rantanen or Draisaitl etc with the recaptured cap space.

If Marner would come to his senses and accept its time to move on then it would be in his best interest to work with Leafs management on a destination of his choice because it would allow an 8th year on a contract in a sign and trade or move next year to allow his new team to meet his salary demands. If he walks himself to UFA status then he can only sign a 7 year deal..

Well let’s see/hope

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
If the leafs are willing to.let him walk then why not just buy him out if he won't waive? Actually salary cost is low.

What am I missing,?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If the leafs are willing to.let him walk then why not just buy him out if he won't waive? Actually salary cost is low.

What am I missing,?
looks like you do not save much on the AAV
1715387460331.png

1715387127649.png

Feel free to read the buyout rules if you have a law degree.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
reger already starting to send the Marner camp message ‘Darren Ferris will walk him to free agency..it won’t be easy..he could get pressure from fans..but that’s already happening…’. Leafs can also play hardball and make life very uncomfortable for him

Marner will show his true colours to potential teams: he's a PITA. He will suck more than usual and will have a reduced salary for the rest of his NHL career.

Good Luck Mitch.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Maybe I missed it before, but I never knew Marner had an entourage/PR team.
Considering his Marner Assist Foundation employs his entire family (tax write offs) i'm guessing they are friends/family of his hes paying through the same foundation. Likely his dad and uncle harassing the media but portraying thenselves as "his security" lol.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
What a shit show this hometown boy story turned out to be. Marner should have learned from tavares how to spew some safe no nonsense gibberish at media. Works all the time for vanilla captain and would’ve worked for the god.

Reactions: saffronleaf

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yup this only encourages other carjackers.

My Lexus was stolen from driveway at 3am. So was my Neighbors.

No way in hell I’m dropping charges of those bastard are ever caught.

I can picture Mitch doing the floss dance with the carjackers.

Holy shit. I hope you and your neighbors get your cars back. We need citizens with a f***ing integrity and a strong back to stand up to these thugs and criminals. Thanks for doing your part in getting Toronto back to law and order. Do not let those thieves get away and do not drop charges

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
He's actually got more points than the other core guys.

Also, as a playmaker, I think he deserves some leeway when other guys can't finish his passes.
You are right. We know AM and Nylander are adequate when they play with non-core players. He is making 11(??) aav and asking over 12 aav; can he get points when he plays with non-core players?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Holy shit. I hope you and your neighbors get your cars back. We need citizens with a f***ing integrity and a strong back to stand up to these thugs and criminals. Thanks for doing your part in getting Toronto back to law and order. Do not let those thieves get away and do not drop charges
Aren't they telling y'all to just leave your keys where they're nice and accessible so the car jackers can take your car without hassle?

Leaving that shithole was a fantastic decision.

Reactions: PromisedLand

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Gonna be hard to pry the Marners from the Leafs. His MAF foundation employs the entire lot of them lol... mom, dad, brother and wife...and probably much more.
Oh he's not gonna go easy. He's had a lot of fantasies about that next Toronto Overpayment and he's going to fight tooth and nail to try and get it. Anywhere that's not Toronto is a significant pay cut, only in Toronto does he get to use Matthews as a comparable and the sponsors and opportunities to make money outside of hockey ain't gonna be there. He's had life amazing in Toronto, do his thing in the regular season, don't bother sacrificing the body at all in the playoffs, and have a nice fresh bill of health to go enjoy summer at the cottage. He does not want to give this up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad